1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Does owning a house make you wealth quickly?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houston#1, Feb 18, 2024.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I believe it. If it wasn't required by my mortgage lender, I'd be tempted to go uninsured. After paying premiums for years and years, the ONE time we made a claim after a burst, it was denied and they dropped my policy immediately. We got stuck making the repairs out of our own pocket anyway, and I could've saved more than that over the years not paying those premiums. We are in a lawsuit to recover our damages against the insurance company, and they have been antagonistic pains in the ass the entire way.

I freaking hate what the property insurance industry has become.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's awful. I hate insurance companies because they punish you for using the service they sell.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Growing up it always felt like reaching landlord/rent-seeker status was the endgame. But now that I'm at a point in life where I can actually own investment properties, I have zero desire to. So much work, risk, and overhead. Seems like a total hassle compared to just buying and owning a digital asset that appreciates so fast I can just travel/rent whatever I want whenever I want instead of buying a vacation property and being stuck in one spot and having to babysit it.

As far as rent vs. own, even if you know you can come out ahead renting, the moment you have a family that calculus flips on its head because you want your kids to have a stable upbringing and you get very attached to your neighborhood/community. If I never got married I'd probably rent forever.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I get that. I own crypto, too. But don't put all of your eggs in one basket. The inherent stability and the tax breaks for real estate can't be understated. The 'hassle' of being a landlord can be mostly mitigated by planning and budget. It's 99% math in this case. But until you can pay people to do the work of acquiring and setting the properties in motion, there is indeed a time overhead. You could say the same if you are trading crypto, though, as that takes a full time commitment, IMO.

Renting for your own long-term home in most places is just stupid.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

For me, its about how much capital I must allocate to the acquisition of the property. 0-5% is not terrible. 20-40% is a lot of capital to get locked up for several years. Ultimately the money isn't made in rents, but the eventual equity. If I could bond my bitcoin, it would be towards real estate, not to other bonds or equities.

SuraGotMadHops and Xerobull like this.
  6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

****ing around with altcoins and trying to time markets, it's 100% guaranteed you're going to eat ****, it's just a matter of time.

You're much better off spinning your wheels with real estate and all the headaches that come with it than playing in that garden of landmines.

I'm completely content and satisfied with my 100% allocation into BTC for my long term savings.

Diversifying for diversity's sake made sense in the analog-only investing world where risk was extremely variable and hard to track.

It does not make sense in a Bitcoin world where an asset exists with effectively zero risk.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Gun to my head, real estate is absolutely the only other long term savings vehicle I would venture into, but like I said, in a world with Bitcoin, it doesn't make much sense unless I just want to flex my wealth and impress people.

Maybe one day it'll make practical sense for me to own more than one home (retirement), but for now it just seems like an outdated idea.

8. Space Ghost

Would you bond your Bitcoin to real estate if the terms were reasonable?

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't know. Like I said, I have zero interest currently. Can you give me an example proposal?

10. Space Ghost

Hypothetically:
    -Bitcoin is $100,000 per and you have the keys for 7.5 BTC valued at $750,000 (for simple easy math)
    -You want to buy a piece of property for $500,000 (house, raw, commercial ... doesn't matter)
    -Hypothetically - Fed Fund Rate is 4%
    -Bank is willing to give you $500,000 for 1.5x BTC collateral (7.5 BTC). Agreement is 2.5% interest with 3 of 3 key custody (you get 2 keys, they get 1). You own the property(Title in your name) with a $500,000 lean on the property. (versus mortgage and bank owns property). If you transfer the BTC, it will make an immediate call on the lean.

Why would you do this? If you got a mortgage (500k fixed 30yr @ 5.5%), you would be paying ~$2,850 a month (~$550 principle/~$2,300 interest). You also have closing costs and down payments associated that is not baked into this scenario. At 2.5% interest, you would be paying ~$1,050.00 a month. Principle is optional. That is $1,800 a month that you could reallocate else where (including paying down the principle)

Why would a bank do this? They have a liability that is backed by two assets; the BTC and property. This would strengthen the asset side of their balance sheet.

Realistically, BTC would need to be a $250k-$500k asset, not $100k

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'd probably be better off taking that loan and buying more Bitcoin with it lol

12. Space Ghost

You can do that with BitMex

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A house in only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because your home has appreciated by 30-50% doesn't necessarily mean there is always a buyer at that price.