1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I wonder how many assists Sengun would have if we had some guys who could make shots on a regular basis.
    Sengun's defense is stil a concern.

Hui and Zen Tabak like this.
  2. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on the defending center's ability to stop Alpi from scoring and the opposing coach's willingness to swallow the poison of either Alpi scoring or others scoring the threes...

On average I would say at least 10 assists

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There was a similar thought by a KPJ stan in the past about how much better his assist numbers would be if his teammates could make shots. I don’t think people realize the small margins that separates the best shooting teams from the worst.

Right now the Rockets are 28th in the league at 45.6 FG%. Making on average 41.3 shots out of 90.6 attempts.

The number 1 shooting team in the league shoots 50.6% from the field.

If The Rockets made exactly 4 more shots per game on the same number of attempts (41.3 + 4) / 90.6 they would be shooting 50.0% from the field which would be good for 3rd in the league. Sengun doesn’t get all of our assists and not every made basket is assisted, so we’re talking about only a sliver of those 4 extra makes adding to more Sengun assists.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ill do you one better - we already have a stat called "potential assists" and Sengun is at 8.4 per game. That's the total number of passes that lead to shot attempts. So if we imagine a fantasy land where our guys were shooting literally 100% off his passes, he'd be at 8.4 assists per game.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The problem with having a center be only league average in efficiency is it makes it almost impossible to have an efficient offense if he’s also a high usage guy. For his position he’s not efficient at all, several % below his positional average. If he could have average efficiency for his position that would go a long way

6. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Let's trade Sengun when he has high value. Who do you think we should get? Who do you think we can get? No strings attached, who would you trade in if you were able to trade anyone currently playing in the NBA?

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

There is nothing factual or logical that supports what your saying:

1) Sengun has the highest offensive rating in the team. If green was efficient, if jabari could create shots for himself, if brooks was a better shooter, if fvv could finish in the paint, we would easily have an efficient offensive system.
    2) one thing that pulls his efficiency down, is being constantly doubled, help-defensed all the time, simply because there is no other threat
    3) besides shooting efficiency, sengun is easily creating open shots for his team mates, way over average for his position, which would normally contribute to efficiency more, if we had better shooters.

And above all, I listed all the players younger than 25. That's his age group, and he is pretty good for his age group mostly despite not being in a favorable situation. If you are expecting a 21 year old to already peak in efficiency, you won't get it. Jokic had ts% around 60% for his first 4 seasons and then jumped to 65%. Players improve, sengun is pretty good for his age, he was 60% last year, and 59% this year. Mobley has 3% points higher while taking 40% less shots and not getting doubled like sengun.

The only way what you say makes sense is if you believe he won't get more efficient at all, not with age, not with being supported by better players, will not improve his shooting, will not get stronger etc. But that's not realistic at all.

BamBam, Patience and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Alperen's defense in the first half last night was beyond freaking incredible. Anyone else seeing all those contests at the rim?

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Alperen is not efficient, then why are NBA teams triple-teaming him?

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Are you asking who I would trade him for? There’s maybe 10-15 guys i would trade him for, not sure. He’s up there though among trade assets in the league. I would bet that no team would offer enough for me to be willing to trade him though

11. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

yeah I am asking who you would trade him for. Name the names...

12. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Brief glance, jokic luca shai halliburton tatum wemby edwards giannis, embiid is tough, booker probably, chet probably. It’s not a long list of guys who are young and good enough

14. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

15. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean that's pretty good list...but also your list shows how highly you value Sengun. I mean you didn't give me a list of mediocres! Am I right?

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I hate Devin Booker. Hes such a punk. Hope we don't trade for him. Plays like such a b$*{.

Old School74 likes this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I never said i don't value him, i think he's great. Only time i really say something is when people either say that he's already elite, or that he will become jokic

tagedieb and harold bingo like this.
  18. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough!

astrosrule likes this.
  19. Strawberry Gum

They are absolutely right that none of our young guys are a natural ball handler. There needs to be an addition at that side.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Those are fair points. What I was trying to say is that labeling him a franchise player does not change anything… it doesn’t make him a better player. He is going to keep getting better for awhile but no one knows how much better… and in the interim the Rockets organization needs to keep getting better and will keep adding talent.
    Zion Williamson was labeled a franchise player and he isn’t.

As far as the Rockets needing a franchise player to be elite - I agree they do and no I don’t know for sure if they do or do not.

As for Sengun, I expect him to be somewhere between Sabonis and Jokic. Where he falls on that scale will be huge.