1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

80% of the rebounds he gets are steals from his own teammates.
    Instead of sticking to his man or boxing out, he sneaks back to pick an easy, uncontested one.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can you guys stop whining about anything and everything Jalen does? Is there not enough to be legitimately critical of with him (SCORING)? Jalen has the 6th most rebounds of any SG in the NBA this season and he's 10th in rebounds per game among SG's. He's getting almost as many as James Harden. He went from 3.7 in 34 minutes last season to 4.8 in 30 minutes this season - this is a significant improvement. What the F are you expecting out of a skinny SG? Why on earth would his ability to get rebounds be better than this and why on earth would we have him grabbing MORE rebounds rather than beating his man down the court where he can use speed instead of strength?

You think he's going to be more capable of grabbing rebounds because he missed more shots? What on earth is this logic? Is Chris Paul going to start doing windmill dunks if his middies are not falling lol?

Sorry but this is so stupid. He's not going to become a major assist or rebound or for that matter blocks generator for years if ever. He can realistically improve his defense and shot selection right now. In the offseason he can improve his jumper mechanics and add muscle. F*ck rebounds, let him run harder in transition and attack the rim with more ferocity. These are things we have seen him do better than he has this season.

I can't with you guys.

Bo6, topfive, cbass and 1 other person like this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

Any bias against Jalen is due to his inconsistency. When he is bad he is REALLY bad and he has been REALLY bad for a large majority of this season. If his 30 and 40 point games were not diluted by a majority of pure crap games then there would be no bias. If the Jalen we have seen recently becomes the norm then the bias will dwindle.

AroundTheWorld and jim1961 like this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

+/- doesn't mean much because it depends on who the other players on the court are.

Occasional bad 3pt shooting nights, sure.
    But with Jalen at least 4 of every 5 games is a bad 3pt shooting night for him.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People should stop thinking about Jalen as a #2 pick. It's irrelevant now after almost 3 seasons. He's just a player. The assessment should be the same as how you assess every player. If he's not a good shooter, he's not a good shooter. If he's a decent playmaker, that's what he is. If he shows improvement on defense, that means he has a good chance of being a useful player. etc. etc. Once you put on the "high draft pick" glasses to look at him, your perspective is easily skewed either positively (supposed potential) or negatively (not living up to expectations).

I hope Stone does the same and stop treating him as some special draft pick.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am stuck in the I still do not know what he is type of Mode, I have left the Second Pick Mode a while ago.

I kind of dislike rhythm player that much right now.

Tre Mann was a bench version of rhythm player who was frustrating to watch.....

Easy likes this.
  7. sydmill

sydmill Member

It's impossible to divorce Jalen the player from Jalen the draft pick. The NBA is all about maximizing value and, right now, Jalen is not max value for his draft spot.

That being said, I don't think he's a lost cause or definitely a bust. If Jalen works on improving his shot mechanics and on his shot diet (more cuts and fewer pull ups) then I could see the entire narrative about his value changing. But it's going to take him busting his ass to improve, not just filming tik toks in the offseason to show #mambamentality.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know a guard is a scrub when the only thing those defending them have to go on is rebounds....which are almost entirely due to a system set up for him to grab them while everyone else boxes out for him.

I remember Thunder fans making those same arguments for Westbrook once upon a time.

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Bullshit. Sorry, had to be said. These narratives all existed last season, when the majority of his games he was putting up over 20pts and his star flashes were better than the entire rest of the squad combined, but sure, keep lying to yourself. Incidentally, you are aware that Sengun has 1 40pt game over Green this year and the exact same number of 30 pt games? How about last year Jalen having 4 40pt games and 12 30pt games whilst Sengun had a single 30pt game? The facts completely disagree with your rewriting of history I'm afraid.

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Your eye-bias is showing. Jalen's scored over 37.5% from 3 in 21 games this season (if 37.5 isn't good enough, he's scored over 40% in 20 games), he's played 62 games. It's a lot closer to 1 in 3 than 1 in every 4 or 5 games.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

Are you seriously saying the way we played under Silas was something we should still strive to do? Bullshit is right. Jalen and KPJ had free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted to wheter they were playing well or not. If a player takes enough shots they will score a lot but it does not mean they are doing so efficiently. Scoring 20 a game under SIlas does not mean much given how shitty a coach he was. Do not pretend Jalen did not have consistentcy issues last year.

#1511 cml750, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Rinaldi likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How many 30pt or 40pt games a player has had is a poor measure.
    Were they efficient scoring games? That is the key.
    Any scrub can score 30 pts if given enough shots.

What any of our players did last year is largely irrelevant.

AroundTheWorld, Rinaldi and cml750 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Scoring 45 and he would have had 50 without a proper 3 point shot and his FT is also not that great, that is pretty rare......for the Alperen.

HardenReturns likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I said 80% of his games were poor 3pt shooting ones.
    So it turns out 67% are.
    I wasn't that far off.

Ok, I will accept your facts, but good 3pt shooting in 1 game out of 3 still is pretty dismal.

#1514 jim1961, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Corrosion and HardenReturns like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jalen green 3pt%
    21’ - 34%
    22’ - 33%
    23’ - 31%

Jalen green FG%
    21’ - 42%
    22’ - 41%
    23’ - 40%

Jalen green TS%
    21’ - 54%
    22’ - 53%
    23’ - 52%

You don’t really see this kind of regressive shooting trend in good nba prospects, let alone #2 draft picks. I’m happy he’s been playing better as of late, but it’s hard to have confidence in Jalen given this trend. If the rockets decide to roll the dice and keep him for the 24’ season he’s got to come off the bench. Can’t keep trotting out a shooting guard who can’t shoot, especially on a roster as devoid of good shooters as our roster is.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The NITPICKING of some of these fans are ridiculous!

Players are taught to turn and box out in order for the TEAM to get the rebound. Thats why some games, Player A or Player B may have more rebounds than the other, unless that player is a designated rebounder, i.e, a Dennis Rodman type.

And since we don't have a Dennis Rodman, I'm sure the Rocket's coaches are teaching Jalen, Amen, and Cam to stay back and help on the boards, because our frontline does not rebound CONSISTENTLY.

I 100% doubt Jalen is stealing rebounds 80% of the time! Lol

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

1 in 3 games still sucks. He will be great if he can consistently hit at a 37% clip from three. I have my doubts, but he probably has until the deadline next year to improve, unless they get a gift of a star Sg with him and the Net picks. He has too much potential to trade away for a bag of peanuts.

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last 4 games I have seen a guy playing unselfishly and with good positive body language and energy. Cheering for his teammates, etc.

The shooting probably needs off-season work. For now, I am really happy with this leap he has made in terms of maturity on the court. He seems to be figuring some things out.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think there's also the fact that between Alpi and Jalen, when Alpi has a bad game, it looks like he's trying too hard, but when Jalen has a bad game, it looks like he's being selfish. That's an inherent part of the way these two guys play -- Alpi backing down a big and missing an awkward shot still looks better than Jalen jacking up a contested three. Both give us zero points, though.

I've been impressed with Jalen's recent willingness to NOT shoot if he spots an open teammate, something that was rare the first couple of years. Anyone who says he's not progressing as a player (despite his numerous faults) is just not watching the games or watching with an agenda.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Udoka has been preaching that some guys take longer. Silas damaged these guys, and I don’t think it’s fair to look at them without that context. Jalen Green is getting better.

topfive, AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.