1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 3/6/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 5, 2024.

1. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Adams is fine...I'm talking about what is mi
    Absolutely agree ! It's like he has TIMED rotations...no matter what is going on, he makes his rotation ...guy can be on fire and sitting onb the bench a minute later. Insanity....why kill your own momentum ?

2. AuburnRocket

Game time,situation,score at the time matter. If you are down 4 pts. in the 4th, missing FREE THROWS (clock is stopped) matters. If you
    are down 15 pts...not so much. Shooting 3's is an ENTIRELY different thing...other factors like how good was the defense, how far behind line were you, when did you receive the ball on the time clock etc.

On a FT the clock is stopped, the distance of the shot is always the same, there is no defense guarding you, you always know when you're getting the ball ..it's when the ref hands it to you...it's a FREE THROW. It's why you have 80%-90+% FT shooters but NO ONE shoots that from the floor. Respectfully, a FT and a 3 pt. shot are very different ...and, if you can't make the FT, it's worth the same pt. value as a missed 3. Just a much easier shot,situation.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You are pushing a narrative not sure if its jealousy or not but its clear as day what youre pushing. What youre saying makes no sense the issue wasnt offense it was defense in the 4th. Why not cry that DIllion Brooks went 1-6 if offense is what you want to cry about?

YaoMac09 and clos4life like this.
  4. AuburnRocket

I was referring to THIS YEAR...need a backup center now...have all year. Lansdale, while occasionally serviceable, is clearly not it. Adams should be fine if health is good. And, as you said, we will still need better shooting.

It is like filling a bucket of water...filling (scoring) wouldn't matter much if you have a big hole in the bucket (defense) letting it drain as fast out as you can fill it. 78 pts. in the 2nd half (42 in the 4th) is a BIG HOLE. This has happened a LOT in our losses.

5. AuburnRocket

Agreed that's not good (1/6) but did he do all that in the 4th with the game on the line. We DO AGREE on defense being a problem. All the more reason while standing at the FT unmolested to have a chance at 2 points is important. Just read my very recent post. It seems your issue might be Alpy....while I don't care who is shooting them, they are especially vital in a close 4th qtr. game.

BTW...reading elsewhere I never said the 4 FT (7 overall) lost the game...but, they are VERY important in a close game...especially when you get 9 less Ft than your opponent.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Your comments would be more believable if you would've also said just as bad as those two free throw misses, was Mr Auburn's hilariously woeful gimme layup miss down the stretch. Damn those two points would've been crucial though from Mr Auburn.

Strong correlation between your name and things you choose to leave out of your critique.

Speaking of defense. I'd just LOVE our elite defending PF to be able to just contest a shot at the rim. Instead of staying flat footed while opponents grab offensive rebounds and go right back up with it. Mr Auburn doesn't really like to try to contest those shots I've noticed lately.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

We also need a PF who doesn't get pushed back a metre when a piece of paper touches him either.

But you know, Mr Auburn and all.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fuss about this all season - he has his set rotation when he pulls players no matter what - He refuses to let the hot hand cook.. and FVV is just as bad

we sit and watch another team go to same player play after play and drop 15+ qtrs

it also hurts players because when they do get the ball finally they pressed to take a shot cause they don’t know when they will see it again

9. AuburnRocket

Well, let me simplify this for you....We shot 17 FT., made 10..that's TEN. .Alpy shot 8 of them (47%) and made 3/8 (38%). Of the 10 made, he was responsible for 30%. Taking nearly 50% of shots while representing 30% of the made shots is not good. Mr. Auburn hit 4 of 6 from 3 and 6/11 overall. Let me assure you that Jabari wasn't the only one to miss a give me layup...not even tonight. we were talking about the importance of FT in a close 4th qtr. game..you brought Bari into this. I know what you feel about Bari...I'm pretty sure you and another poster called him a "punk biotch" earlier in the season.

So, we'll end on Bari with this question....what stat line meets your approval for him...what would you categorize as a good night for this 20 year old young man....double digit rebounds (most nights, not tonight), 15, 20 pts. per game, 2 blocks , a steal or two ? I mean what ? Serious question ...do you REALLY think that Ime plays Bari on the best player on the opposing team because he can't play defense? Really ? So, what is it ?

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's say I do not mind him taking more shots .... but Jabari is not in Auburn......they are not running extra plays for him or not many.

Sengün takes more shots as he should be because he is the best player on this team for 2 years now.

He has earned it, Jalen Green takes the most shots because he is sort of a rhythm chucker.

#810 daywalker02, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Joe Rocket, HardenReturns and Arda like this.
  11. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Obviously you must not be watching because he just starting playing better defense. All those games he was sitting for the whole fourth quarter was because his offense was subpar and his defense even worse.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

zebras refusing to call the foul when we were intentionally repeatedly fouling plumlee was telling. vegas line had to be held

on another note, zebras' new uni's with Emirates sponsorship is the biggest joke of this season. silver's literally the biggest wh0re on earth

tehG l i d e and a time to chill like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

On a sidenote, isn't the Saudi Arabian Golf league trying to make noise.......with horrendously high money prizes....

14. JW86

JW86 Member

Pretty much. I do think we could’ve pushed a bit harder once we were up in the 3rd quarter but we let up a bit too much. This was also when there was a lot of 1-on-1, over dribbling, shooting ill advised threes and again not finding the guys who have it going. Cannot believe people want to put this on any individual in particular. In the end we lead the game for 3 and a half quarters and dominated them on both sides.

Our defense was very impressive, our guards were getting up shots, Sengun was distributing and Jabari was hot for a bit. The only one I'm really down on is Brooks at the moment. Even positional and help defense he's failing too often. He's solid 1-on-1, but even there he commits way too many dumb fouls. Jabari also needs to stop jumping and slapping, but I appreciate the effort!

#814 JW86, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i dunno anything about golf bro

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just saying Saudis, Qatari and Arab Emirates are pulling major funds in sports that they were not interested in 10 years ago.

Lebron and Drake were investing in PGA the American league to counter that.....recently.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Our young guys don't realize they can't match the firepower of playoff teams in the 4th quarter. Defense, rebounding and passing are the keys to success when the situation becomes tight.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don’t disagree with that, but you were talking about whether or not the ball goes in.

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

The Clippers had it rolling, and they are a legit playoff team. But the way the Rockets are constructed, we can expect to win 1) in a half-court slugfest or 2) simply by outscoring people. Our shooting/player movement/ball movement is too erratic.

The Clippers only had 1 TO in the second half, and Mason Plumlee was awarded that TO as he tried to jump out of bounds and keep a ball alive. To me, the Rockets didn't have enough juice to get deflections, be disruptive, and get their break going. This might have turned out differently if we had that extra energy when we were up by 20.

It's tough to see Sengun fail at the line when he carried so much throughout the game.

And Jalen's stat line was weird, too. In the 2nd and 4th quarters, here are his combined numbers: 3 fouls, 2 shot attempts, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2 turnovers. I guess he really can't come off the bench and find a rhythm.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. albuster

albuster Member

The guy has been on an anti-Sengun crusade for sometime now but notice how he makes up all the excuses for Jabari no matter how bad he plays. It's like some posters who rag on players almost automatically no matter how good they play. I would say though that Sengun deserves the attention, good or bad, because he has been the linchpin for the Rockets.

Joe Rocket likes this.