1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Ukrainians don't give a **** about "draining Russia" (whatever that means, as Putin is doing a good job of that on his own).

What Ukrainians care about is that Russia has INVADED their country with the intent to take over the whole country.

Most Ukrainians want to fight to keep their country.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

@glynch seems to be confused about what’s happening to Ukraine and why they desperately need our help, and that of our allies. In fact, and he won’t like this, @glynch is coming across as a far-right Republican member of Congress who dances to trump’s tune. It’s more than a little weird, in my opinion.

Invisible Fan, dobro1229 and Nook like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

No. This is what's lost on you... some people believe we are too involved in NATO period. We don't need to abandon it. We just don't need to run it.

4. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

It just goes to show that extremists read from different scripts but tell the same story.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

NATO is collective defense. Leaving it to Europe, as you suggested, IS the USA abandoning it.

But since you say no, than what are you talking about? What is 'don't need to run it' or 'not too involved in NATO'?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's not confused - this guy has been a pro Putin since day 1. Like literally dating back a decade or more, well before the current Ukraine war.

Doesn't matter if it's Obama, Biden, GWB (I would say Trump, but since MAGA is pro Putin ....etc).

@glynch love for Putin and all things Russia (or at least, the ruling kleptocracy there) supersedes any other value system he would have claimed to have.

It just is.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You are correct Russia wanted to join Europe after Gorbachev ended the Cold War and there were attempts diplomatically. Again you had the almost signed peace in Minsk 2 around 2020 that could have prevented the war and the almost settlement about two months in that Boris Johnson at US bequest scuttled you need two sides to negotiate and the West i.e the US never wanted to negotiate in good faith.

8. glynch

"Putin lover" and I suppose "anti-semite" "Hamas lover" is about all Sammy has. So sad.

9. SamFisher

"As an Iranian supplied Russian missile obliterated the makeshift shelter in the basement in Kharkiv where my 97 year old grandmother and 3 year old child were hiding, splattering them into dust, my thoughts turned to.....

... Boris Johnson and Minsk 2"

Good grief, shut up, you silly b**** of a man

10. SamFisher

No you're a Trump loving, Tucker loving - basically all the fkng devils, you're on their side.

Minsk 2! Minsk 2!

Loser.

Get a better hobby.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether or not you are a Putin lover is irrelevant. You do advocate US policy that allows authoritarian, murderous, leader to win the war he aggressively initiated.

dobro1229 likes this.
  12. glynch

You guys are getting it here when talking about women and children dying and 25 year olds easily propagandized for war. (So are Americans as shown in Dubya and Cheney's War cheered on by Americans until it wasn't.). Biden voted against Gulf War I which crossed into the sovereign state of Kuwait-- so worthy of war for you and also voted for by the UN. Biden voted for a voting pattern of several other Dem senators contemplating running for president. Look at Biden on the genocide in Gaza.

It was imho immoral for our leaders to push the Russians especially since they claim and you, I actually believe without financial or political benefit think Putin is simply a crazed killer ruling over macho killers. I am sure you believe deeply in the domino theory and Putin is a repetition of Hitler or Stalin.

You say that Putin can put a stop to this asap. Well we can start to negotiate asap, so why not negotiate a truce . It is done all the time to end wars and release hostages. One should try to mitigate damages even with the enemy.

13. glynch

Yes Ukrainians are not into bleeding Russians for neo-con geopolitical games. Well again as we have seen so recently with Americans can be propagandized into unnecessary wars. Disagree if you want. Again this war was unnecessary in my opinion and that of many knowledgable American Russian and intelligent experts with years of experience out side the mainstream /NYT filter.. Now that it has started a ceasefire should be negotiated. I doubt you want to get beyond the same sources, which are everywhere and hard to avoid. but See John Mearsheimer, Jeffrey Sachs, Ray McGovern. etc.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Putin isn’t Stalin or Hitler. He doesn’t have that type of power or influence.

Putin is more of a mob boss that has sucked Russia dry like a parasite. Russia is in a far worse position than before he took over - and that is almost all because of the policies of Putin and the grift he runs.

You aren’t negotiating a truce at this point. Putin knows that Trump will pull out of Ukraine. A truce would be Russia leaving Ukraine, and that isn’t happening.

Putin also knows this is his one chance… if he withdraws from Ukraine, he won’t be able to attack them again because the West will build an incredible defense against the Russians.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

You are right - the war is unnecessary - all Putin has to do is leave Ukraine and it’s over.

rocketsjudoka and dobro1229 like this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I mean that isn't universally true. You can go from basic training to being in a platoon in the 75th Ranger Regiment in like 33 weeks. At the height of the GWOT dudes were being deployed a few weeks after passing Ranger Assessment and Selection which was called Ranger Indoctrination Program before 2010 but that wasn't politically correct anymore...

Rangers hit more High Value Targets and killed more bad guys than the tier one boys. They had a nasty battle at the start of the Iraq war at Haditha Dam. They were the quick reaction force for Seal Team 6 when Operation Anaconda went to hell at the battle of Takur Ghar. Several Rangers got killed coming off the helo. They also helped Seal Team 6 during the rescue of Jessica Lynch. Rangers also had to recover the bodies during Red Wings when the QRF helicopter full of SEALs was shot down trying to rescue Marcus Luttrell.

You want young "invincible" guys for the Ranger Regiment. They are the epitome of speed, surprise, and violence of action. Hell at 22 you are likely a salty SGT in the ranger regiment.

Invisible Fan, rocketsjudoka and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I based what I said on the second battle of Fallujah and what General Stalder said about not wanting the youngest marines involved in the fiercest fighting and with civilians still in the city.

After the war ended he discussed there was an understanding when it came to the youngest marines and the situations they were put in.

I will defer to you though, especially on the issue of Rangers.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That still doesn't mean the US forced Russia to invade Ukraine or that the US is forcing Russia to continue to try to take Ukraine.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes this war was totally unnecessary. Russia could've not invaded Ukraine.

You keep on placing blame on the US while ignoring the person who actually ordered the invasion and is continuing to try to take Ukraine. You are literally being an apologist for Putin.

[Edit] Whoops I missed that Nook had posted the same thing.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

One of my Judo students served in the 10th Mountain Division and also did Ranger school. He was an officer though and when he was deployed was probably 23 or 24.