1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Season's Pretty Much Over - Thoughts moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you misunderstood the point . . . Nook said one of the top 10 "most valuable" players, that means skill, potential, long-term value to a franchise, etc. Doesn't mean he is one of the league's "top ten players" at this moment.

on edit: I see where Nook has said two different things, I was responding more to this statement:

2. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

You want to go look up the rookie seasons of the greatest players that ever lived? I bet you will have an excuse why all their teams were good. But you will find that Russell, Bird, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Dream, Jordan, Lebron. There teams weren't ****. And what you won't find no matter what is a team that actually won less games the year after they were drafted. The Spurs won 22 games last year on pace for 18 whole wins this year. You are going to have some pretty sweet verbal gymnastics to convince me that adding a top ten player in the league makes a 22 win team worse the next year.

3. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

No argument about value. Wemby probably goes first if its a draft. But the chasm between Jokic and Wemby right now is as vast as the chasm between Bryce Young and Mahomes. And I stand by my argument that the best players ever don't come close to losing like the Spurs are losing now. That means something.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wemby next to Sengun would have been a perfect pairing.

Sengun is much more skilled, Wemby is really tall.

Sengun is the better defender, Wemby is better at blocking shots.

Sengun is obviously the much better player, but it's nice to get some blocked shots by a "rim protector".

dawesome likes this.
  5. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

It would have been nice to get #1, and have a lineup with both Sengun and Wemby. On the other hand, Wemby's reaction when he knew Rockets weren't getting him...

So Wemby...

[​IMG]

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Most of those rookies were quite a bit older than Victor: Dream, Russell and Kareem were all 22, and Bird and Wilt were both 23. Only Magic (20) and LeBron (19) were in the ballpark.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That's not what you said. You said he is a top 10 player now. But given your scenario, I think Wemby probably goes somewhere between 8 - 12, but I also think that Sengun could go in the top 20. The difference in perceived "value" is just not that extreme IMO. And I, personally, have to see a lot more to be convinced Wemby can be the focal point of an offense, whereas I'm pretty much there with Sengun.

#267 Houston77, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you make claims he is a top 10 player then he should have impact on winning. Being a rookie isn't an excuse if you claim a dude is a top 10 player already.

How have the Rockets been rebuilding longer? Spurs drafted Joshu Primo the year Rox drafted Jalen Green. And I'm pretty sure they traded Derozan before that as well.

Spurs teammates are worth first rounders? OK how many frps will Alpi, Jabari, Tari, Amen and Cam net? Pretty sure those guys will net lotto picks rather than just first round picks. The only prize asset Spurs have is Wemby. The Rox don't have anyone on Wemby's tier, but they do have Sengun who is a 21 yr old All star level talent and 4 other young studs. On one hand you can say Spurs have quality in Wemby, but then again we still don't know if SAS can surround him with talent. It's always a risk, like with Joshua Primo or Jalen Green sometimes you don't end up with the best player available. Personally I like Rox more Sengun is already a star and Amen and Whitmore look like future stars compared to just Wemby and nobody else on the Spurs.

Spurs have 2 frps because they suck ass. That's why I said you are putting the two teams in different standards that's why you think Spurs are in a better position. You expect Rox to be decent and ok with Spurs sucking ass despite the fact Spurs have been rebuilding longer than the Rox. Of course if you are OK with the team being ass then yeah it'll look like they are in a great position because they can get top picks in the future.

Rox can also say **** it and just tank all their games for the next 3 yrs and they'll have top lotto picks coming in same as the Spurs.

#268 roslolian, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

I like how the Rockets are positioned for a title window to open in a couple of seasons. I think the following guys have spots in a 9 man rotation for a contender in just a few seasons:

Sengun: D. Sabonis+
    Jabari: lamarcus Aldridge with range
    Cam: Vince Carter
    Tari: Shawn Marion
    Amen: bigger, higher IQ Westbrook
    Jalen: Zach lavine

While those are all, admittedly, high end comps I don't think any of them is just unbelievable. And the Rockets are going to add at least another top 10 pick to that this summer.

10. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Better to give up pick this year and just be happy with Nets pick, go for the best record regardless of outcome. Media is noticing Sengun is up and coming star and Jalen is somewhat salvaging his reputation so he might have value in the market this off-season if front office still wants to move on from him.

dfbreyes likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

12. MystikArkitect

We cannot go into another season with Jalen Green at shooting guard. No more "wait and see". Fred is incredibly limited but his IQ and leadership is immense. I'll give him that. When you compound that with Jalen Green though, we are a middling team. And will be a middling team. Jalen isn't going to suddenly be Anthony Edwards. He's too small and too stupid to make up for it. To beat this team it's fairly simple. Let Jalen/Fred dick around at the 3 point line and then double Sengun with about 15 seconds left on the clock. Then he's going to pass back out to Fred/Jalen and they're going to chuck up a 3 or get denied at the rim. Wash, rinse, repeat. When the twin chuckers are hitting 3s, we look competent. Or when a team is dumb enough to guard Sengun 1v1.

We need another wing. Cam's not ready and won't be ready next year. Outside of Mikal Bridges, I have no idea who else is out there that would improve this team. Spare me the terrible no defense SG's like Herro/Lillard/Mitchell. I can't even come up with SG's outside of Edwards and Booker.

OremLK, Arda and jim1961 like this.
  13. sydmill

sydmill Member

If Ime believes that Jalen can/will buy in to the role he should have on this team then he's the starting 2 next season. If there's any doubt to that then I'm fine running Cam/Amen/Dalton Knecht as the shooting guards next year. Jalen can be the leading scorer for this team but he needs to score in the flow, playing off others not being simply a chucker.

14. Ratman

Ratman Member

Trade peanuts for Davion Mitchell

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is going to be intriguing to see how they handle Jalen Green, JaeSean Tate and eventually replace Fred Van Vleet.

Not that they will be gone but who are coming back for them.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bridges obviously ain't it, Brooklyn is delusional and wants a superstar package for him, plus he's too old.

Bane would work, but they probably hang up the phone.

I would love to get Maxey somehow, but same issue--though maybe there is a chance Morey could be convinced if he gets two very good players in return? I've been kicking around the "who says no" if we pay to get him Lauri and send him Brooks or FVV as well. Since their window with Embiid is rapidly closing and all.

But yeah there's not much out there. We probably just pick up some roleplayer who can shoot and kick the can, see who comes available over the next year or three.

17. MystikArkitect

Maxey is too small to pair with Sengun. That's the issue. We need 4 competent wing defenders to mitigate Sengun's defensive issues. Jalen is a better defensive player than an offensive one right now (lol) and to go down from that would be rough. We need an efficient wing that can defend. 6-4 to 6-7 that can shot 45+ from the field and 37+ from 3.

So basically Jalen Williams, Desmond Bane, Anthony Edwards or Mikal Bridges. Cam will eventually be this guy but he's still a few years away.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I was thinking along the lines of having Maxey at point guard sharing ballhandling duties equally with Amen at the 2, and Cam or Tari as our future starting small forward. (Probably Tari with Cam as sixth man.)

19. conquistador#11

Are you not entertained?
    Same feeling I had when there were 22 games left. Jazz will be the first challenge up ahead.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not only that - Dream (UH), Russell (USF) and Kareem (UCLA) all spent several successful seasons with major college programs.