1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

San Francisco Math War

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MamboRock, Mar 4, 2024.

1. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Math wars: SFUSD unveils three options for Algebra 1 with decision in February

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/sfusd-math-wars-algebra-18626283.php

It's stupid to allow teaching algebra in middle school. I am all for levelling the playing field and it has been proved that teaching algebra serves no purposes other than contributing to racial inequality. Algebra should only be allowed in college.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Algebra 1 should be an advance option as early as elementary school (I kid, just a tad bit). But definitely by middle school.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Taking AP calc is a strong gateway for succeeding in STEM majors. The issue is that being good in trig, algebra, and pre-calc doesn't mean you'll be good in Calc. Algebra is an unavoidable step in that tech tree...

I also think doing calc in hs is better than in college because college is generally less structured for learning and if you're tanking ap calc midway, it should serve as a wakeup call to improve study habits.

Ofc there are those who want to let kids be kids, but that's rolling the dice with vegas odds while hoping stupid kids don't stay stupid and undeservedly super confident.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This reminds me of my 8th grade Algebra, or lack thereof. I was a disruptive student, and was written off. The successful (e.g. well-to-do) kids would be in Algebra I as 8th graders and Geometry I as 9th graders. But that slight (and calling it a slight glosses over how disappointed I was) led me me to 1. get a job making $5/hr 2. save up so I could pay a teacher $2000 for geometry tutoring during the summer between 9th grade and 10th grade to "catch up" to my peers and 3. to act better so people would not write me off for being a poor teenager in a poor part of Ohio. 24 years later, I am funding a DEI scholarship for poor and URMs.

#4 Ubiquitin, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I know the feeling...I didn't have a care in the world about those classes but did manage them except I made money as a kid doing the odd jobs. Sold certain products on eBay and I was king of my imaginary castle for a while. My first legit job was working hard labor at the Port of Houston throwing sacks of rice around and repairing electronics on the side. I can confidently say...I never wanna do that again in my life and enjoy working at a refinery. If the good Lord gives me another few more years of good luck I'll be retiring in 2027.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Woke people can’t do math
    Or biology
    Or art

or anything
    @AroundTheWorld

7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tinman likes this.
  9. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Math is racist. And Algebra is like the leader of a supremacy group.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

More reasons to teach them early.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member