1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jewish dentist in San Diego murdered by a Muslim

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 1, 2024.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm going to post every time a person is killed or raped by a Christian and ask if it was a hate crime, because the Christian Conservatives hate everyone they can't control.

2. AkeemTheDreem86

Oh bubala, like they have a choice...

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There are plenty of laws I don't want to be laws. Why would you think a prosecutor agrees with every law on the books.
    Should our society tolerate the targeting of dentists for violence if you aren't happy with your veneers? The problem with hate crime laws is they elevate one improper motivation while ignoring others. Criminal law already has an element of wrongful intent. I don't like saying wrongful intent A is worse than wrongful intent B. If you kill a person because they are Christian, it is no better or worse than killing them because you are jealous of their car.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

you go where Delta sends you until the coverage and nitrous run out

Nook and Amiga like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether you agree or not isn’t it the duty of a prosecutor to enforce laws on the books? I frequently state as a referee in Judo I don’t agree with or like several rules but I will call them during competition because that is my duty.
    Yes because given history and as we see with current events history does have a powerful hold on the present that violence acting of bias towards specific groups can lead to much more problems than just general violence for things like economic or crimes of passion.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Nook and ROCKSS like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One ATW is enough. Please don't pollute.

10. StupidMoniker

Yes, all the time. When did I say I don't enforce the laws on the books?
    Quite the opposite. It is the general violence that causes far more harm to society. So called hate crimes are a drop in the bucket.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if there is a crime where there is clear evidence of a hate crime, for example a murderer shot up a synagogue while
    Yelling “Death to Jews”. Would you prosecute them for a hate crime?
    History disagrees. Hate crime laws came because many racially based killings, generally whites killing blacks, were not prosecuted or under prosecuted. address those hate crime laws were meant to be sure that such crimes were not only prosecuted but that society wouldn’t tolerate bias crimes.

In this case as many posters here remind us, we have seen an increase in antisemitism. Both the US and the world has had a terrible history of antisemitism so it makes sense that crimes committed out of antisemitism would be considered for more severe treatment to send a societal message against it.

Many crimes have enhancements regarding sentencing. Hate crime essentially are an enhancement.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So the Muslim and the Jewish dentist is why we should support genocide in Gaza?!.
    We do not share the guilt of NAZI relatives like poor ATW and while we can feel for him we should reject his obsessively posting threads like this.

14. StupidMoniker

Yes, whatever laws are on the books.
    Why would someone who doesn't even charge the murder in that case not only prosecute the murder but also add on a hate crime charge? That makes no sense. That is also completely irrelevant to which is more prevalent. "Hate crimes" or crimes motivated by the membership of the victim in a protected class are something like less than 1% of general crimes, even in categories like murder. Crimes with other motives are orders of magnitude more common and thus more damaging to society.
    The United States has had a terrible history of jealousy and so it would make sense that crimes committed out of jealousy would be considered for more severe treatment to send a societal message against it. Yet, they are not. You get the same punishment for killing someone because they have a fancy car as you do for killing them because they like the Dodgers. Hate crimes receive extra punishment because there are lobbying groups that push for it.
    Some are, some are substantive crimes in themselves. That is irrelevant to the discussion.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member