1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets getting Steven Adams in trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 1, 2024.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve come around on Trae Young. He’s probably going to be the best player available through trade. I don’t know that San Antonio is in any more favorable position to deal than we are, but I wouldn’t really want to get into a bidding war.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Honestly, I think Trae WANTS to go to San Antonio - him & Wemby is just too perfect (and scary) to contemplate on offense and he is the one all-purpose eraser for trae's defensive challenges

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao that means the Hawks are building around Dejounte Murray? Spurs pre-Wemby......

Easy and theDude like this.
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Hawks are a mess. When teams start bidding for Trae, they could probably get one of the teams that loses out to refocus on Murray. They could likely get another FRP each for Capela and Hunter. They would be made up of a bunch of mismatched parts, but that’s basically what they are now. Might as well have a boatload of picks to go with it.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I feel like Trae Young is not the guy you tank for 3 seasons to cash in all your chips to build around. It’s just that he’s potentially available. While he’s great offensively, I’d worry about his lack of perimeter D with Sengun on the court. I guess it would depend on what the cost would be. I’d rather have a 2-way guy like Donovan Mitchell, but I doubt he’s available.

the problem with waiting for the big trade opportunity, besides having to outbid other teams, is that you don’t have control over who is actually available.

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Thank you for the information. It seems so at odds that Coach Udoka had enough power when first being hired to nix the Harden return, and less than one season later is going to have his entire coaching career tied to a defense with Trae Young as the point-of-attack defender. it seem so haphazard, with the fit next to Sengun being extra horrible, that I can 100% believe this is what the current front office is pursuing.

I am hoping that it ends up being a leverage play for Atlanta with San Antonio. It simply makes so much more sense for them to trade Young back to the Spurs for the return of their future picks. They're in the exact same situation as the Nets, owing their 2025, 2026 (via swap), and 2027 picks with no protection. Getting their own picks back would obviously be much more preferable than acquiring future Nets picks that have a much greater chance of losing significant value.

Nook and pippendagimp like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I feel like they waited to long to make some deals. They waited too long on Collins and got nothing. Could have gotten more for Capela but now will get much less; same for Hunter as well. Yeah they’ll have to blow up their backcourt to have any chance of getting good rebuilding chips.

theDude likes this.
  8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook bomb.

I.D.I.O.T. :D

saleem and theDude like this.
  9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they'd make a good pairing. We'd have to add the Spurs to the list of teams with a brighter future than the Rockets. Wemby alone might already give them that.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

there’s no might about it bro, Wemby is 50x better than any young prospect we have

11. MystikArkitect

Trae Young and Alperen Sengun can't coexist in a starting lineup. You have to mitigate the defense of one or the other. Also FVV and Jalen Green would have to also go. Trae straight up isn't happening. Also Amen is a primary ball handler and we're taking that away.

This team can't score and its starting shooting guard can only shoot well when Jupiter and Earth are aligned and is still better than a team led by Trae Young.

AlperenSengun and theDude like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I would imagine the actual best player available by trade would be Ja Morant. Though it hasn't really been mentioned much, you'd have to think the Grizzlies are more than a little worried about hitching their wagon to someone who has shown to be woefully immature. As far as the Rox go, we just got rid of a woefully immature PG and I can't imagine Ferntits wanting to wade out into those waters again anytime soon.

theDude likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Getting Trae would be heartbreaking. He’s not good enough and if the years of sucking led to him, that would put many people off id suspect

saleem and furyn like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Nook pulling a @ch44 and hiding a scoop of a major trade in a random, unrelated thread…lulz.

I only came here for the Adam’s pick, otherwise would’ve missed it.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get that FVV isn't around for forever... but I'm excited enough about Amen Thompson that I wouldn't be that excited about bringing in a guy who needs to be as ball dominant as Trae and is deeply flawed in many other ways (like defense).

Maybe they view him as a rich man's Jalen Green? Would Jalen, one of Tari/Bari, and the Nets lotto pick this year be enough (plus empty contracts like Jeff Green and Landale)?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Grizz are not parting with Ja, they are a small market, not many players want to go or get traded there.

The Hornets were welcoming Miles Bridges back who isn't even a star and wife beater.

That is how the NBA works.

pmac likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Trae Young may be a rich man's Jalen Green. But you can also see him as a poor man's James Harden.

saleem likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would rather get Tyus Jones than Trae Young.

Become a best of the Grizzlies when they were winning + the young Rockets.

Little Bit and saleem like this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hate the idea of Young.... No D, jack happy, and overrated.

topfive and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

Yikes, no way I want that guy. He’s not a winning player!

cmoak1982 likes this.