1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas 26K Rape-Related Pregnancies in 16 Months

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 29, 2024.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

Well I said I'm not that smart. I read 14 states and thee reason for the studyand, and I do this a lot, I read something and then I have a preconceived notion that takes over

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they are not 4 times - not sure how you get that

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's why I posted the map for you. Not saying you aren't that smart - just trying to get you the correct info. Texas is a huge chunk of the population in the study. What I don't know is if Texas makes up near 40%.

For example, if Texas is 40% of the population and 40% of the rape-based pregnancies, it would suggest that Texas stringent abortion ban is not impacting that much. Where as if Texas was 30% of the population it would suggest that the laws in Texas are indeed having a massive impact.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member

You two are going off in the weeds on this study. It is not claiming there are more rapes after the ban. It is saying there are 26,000 women, in Texas, who are being forced to carry their rapist's baby. That's it. It didn't address pre-ban because women could have an abortion then.

peleincubus and deb4rockets like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some people are too lazy or ignorant to fact check. Trump loves the ignorant and gullible. He knows those people believe his BS.

#165 deb4rockets, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

@pgabriel isn't wrong; the study might have exaggerated. I questioned the number the first time I saw it.

But yes, that's really a technicality. The issue is, after Roe was overturned, 14 Republican states essentially eliminated the right to abortion for all, including those who were raped. Rape victims are forced to carry to term in these states. It's morally reprehensible. It's also correctable through new legislation. As importantly, it can spread and impact MORE states through new legislation at the State level or at the Federal level.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's how I interpreted it too. I have no idea what the real numbers are. Many had abortions in secret in the past, and a big majority of women and girls don't report rape. Regardless, it's sickening rape victims have no choice. That goes double for a child!!! No child should be forced to endure labor, ruin their hopes for a future that includes school, college, and a good job or desire to marry a loving husband and beat their child before starting a family. Nobody should be forced to carry a baby they can't care for, or to simple be a birth vessel of an unwanted baby until it's born to give up for adoption. No woman or child should be forced to carry a baby from some sick in the head abusive man, sick in the head pedophile, or sick in the head man or boy who drugged them raped them. You wonder how many of these kids end up in the adoption system, or are born with some type disability from the father being their daddy, brother, uncle, or cousin.

#167 deb4rockets, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Xopher likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I hear ya and agree, I'm only addressing the pushback.

Xopher likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Here's another scary thing about forcing a rape victim to carry the child.

Male relatives of sex offenders five times more likely to commit similar crimes, and 40% of risk is genetic, study suggests. That means 40% of those boys born from a rapist could end up becoming sexual offenders too.

Niklas Långström, professor of psychiatric epidemiology at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm and lead author, said: “This does not imply that sons or brothers of sex offenders inevitably become offenders too. But although sex crime convictions are relatively few overall, our study shows that the family risk increase is substantial.”

There is no evidence for a “sex offending gene”, he added. Instead, a constellation of genes linked to factors such as impulse control, intelligence and sexual appetite are likely to influence the risk of a person committing an offence.

The study is the first major investigation of the genetic basis of sexual crime - a subject that had proved too challenging for previous survey-based research. “It’s pretty sensitive to ask about these things, so we tried to use officially available data” said Prof Långström.

The scientists used the records of 21,566 men convicted of sexual offences in Sweden between 1973 and 2009. Around 2.5% of brothers or fathers of convicted sex offenders were themselves convicted of sexual offences, compared to an offending rate of about 0.5% of men in the general population. The authors looked at both rape and child sexual offences and found similar patterns for both.

About 40% of sexual offending risk is explained by genetic factors, a statistical analysis found, and about 2% of the risk was attributed to environmental factors shared between siblings, such as parental attitudes, neighbourhood and education.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...fending-linked-to-genetic-factors-study-finds