1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Victor Wembanyama as a Spurs thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then Chet is the 2nd in the Generational race which I can live with....as well.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Tillman should have prayed harder....
    If he stays healthy he is going to be a problem..

Jontro likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm OK with Amen. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Dude already missed some time and got a minutes restriction in his rookie year lol. If you add the two foot fractures he had prior to getting drafted I don't think he will have a long and healthy career in the NBa.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not even accounting for age/future value - is Wembanyama a top 10 player in the NBA right now?

He's already arguably the best defender in the league (I mean can you really say Bam Adebayo is better?) and uniquely difficult to stop on offense (he is laying waste to the Pacers as I write this).

Jokic
    Luka
    Embiid
    SGA
    Giannis
    Tatum

Are probably the top MVP voting guys - I honestly think for 1 game or 7 games, other than:

Jokic,

Embiid if he's playing the way he did pre injury,

and Luka, because of his unique offensive load bearing

- it's not outlandish to say "I'm taking Victor" over Tatum or Giannis or SGA (or everyone else)

Basically what I'm saying is he is a top 10 player in the NBA right now already - the way Shaq or Tim Duncan were when they started.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that was the ultimate gut punch for me last year when the Spurs won that #1 pick and took Wemby. I wanted to cry. Why couldn't it have been us? Why why why are we so unlucky and those Spurs so lucky? Man would I have loved watching him block those shots on this team. Even more depressing is that he's a center with a better 3 PT ave than our starting SG. :eek:

6. dianelo

dianelo Member

Do U really believe the NBA would let Wemby go to a team other than the Spurs? Wemby, barring injury, will be the cash cow of the league for at least a decade, plus the Spurs are building a new stadium in exchange for Wemby.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we might get that lucky pick this year, but unfortunately there's nobody that oozes the potential of Wemby. I actually want Reed Sheppard, who could end up like another Steph Curry, but we probably wouldn't need a #1 pick to get him.

8. SamFisher

Over the last 3 weeks/8 games, Wembanyama is averaging something like

24 pts
    11 rebs
    4.5 ast
    5 blks
    2 stls

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Those numbers remind me of someone.

B-Bob and A_3PO like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wemdy just needs fr fr...

San Fran, San Fran

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Top 10 players can win more games than they lose, even when surrounded by garbage. So no, he clearly isn't.

For perspective, think of James Harden when he first got here, no camp, garbage roster...but just that impactful. I can't say a dude is a top 10 player when his team is sitting on 13 wins. I can say he's putting up great stats.

14. SamFisher

Name 10 guys better than Wembanyama in the 1 month prior to him getting hurt vs Houston.

The whole "wins" thing is literally out of a halftime show discussion from 1998 from some 1970s guys. We've moved beyond that

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

He isn't a top 10 player cuz their team only has 13 wins.

Rvo384 likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

How can you move from beyond that when a top 10 player is supposed to impact winning? James Harden got the top 3 seed playing with only Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon. LeBron got 1st seed with Zydrunas Ilgauskus and Anderson Varejao. Spurs have Devin Vessel, Keldon Johnson and Jeremy Sohan. They aren't exactly playing Daishen Nix out there. They don't even have a normal losing record they have 13 wins which is way lower than what the Rox got when they were tanking the past 3 yrs. Imagine getting beat by Silas, KPJ and Daishen Nix.

We've moved on from that lol. Players put up great stats on bad teams all the time.

Icehouse likes this.
  17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Exactly. Hell Christian Wood put up stats on bad teams.

roslolian likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I remember when Kevin Love was recording 20 20s on the Twolves.

In his third year Kevin Love averaged 20/15 on 41% 3 pt shooting and nobody even called him a top 10 player cuz Minny was a lotto team. He didn't even win MVP cuz Twolves were bad.

Wembanyama puts up 20-10 suddenly he is a top 10 player lol.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Pick ten guys that you won't lose the majority of games with them on the court. Basketball is STILL the sport where one guy has the most impact. Stick Joker, LeBron, etc on any team....literally any of them, and they aren't only winning 13 games with them on the court.

And no, we haven't moved beyond winning. That's still what matters most at the end of the day.

20. SamFisher

[
    Yes if you'd read the post you're excerpting above - you'd notice I mentioned Jokic.

I see you mentioned LeBron - you're still 8 names short.