1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Veterans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’m pleased with the deals we made for FVV and Jeff Green. Not thrilled with the Dillon Brooks signing because the contract is too long and we have young guys that can play that position. But, we’ll see how it plays out.

I never thought we would make the playoffs this season, so I’m not disappointed at all. I just wanted our young guys to show improvement, and have the vets provide some stability and leadership.

Overall, I see the team moving in the right direction. But, we are still very young and trying to figure things out. For me, Jalen is the big disappointment, not the vets. But, not all the young guys are going to pan out.

OremLK, Corpusfan, Easy and 2 others like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize FVV's contract is a team option after next year right?

All this doom and gloom from people who don't understand how the cap works SMH.

All that stuff you posted are the reasons we brought FVV and Brooks in. Despite all the crap being spouted now, the signings worked. Rox are now no longer in the basement of the NBA and no longer the laughing stock. They even beat their win total last year before ASB in a much tougher Western Conference. Of course some clowns move the goal posts like they weren't saying the Rox would be lucky to get 30 wins in the offseason and then act unimpressed now.

Are you also such a clown? I'd hope not. Regardless Rockets will be much improved next year and the entire peanut gallery will prob shut up. Unless they start moaning and groaning how the Rox aren't title contenders after 4 yrs into a rebuild LMAO.

#22 roslolian, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    kspires999 and DVauthrin like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dillon Brooks has been better value than FVV who makes 2x as much and his contract actually gets cheaper over time.

Frankly Jeff Green seems about done as an NBA player recently. Should've traded him or buyout

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This seems crazy no? While brooks has not been the horror show we expected, he's still bad and FVV is at least a good player.

5. SamFisher

Dillon is the #1 man defender and having an efficient offensive season - probably one of his best.

Vanvleet - at 2x the $ - is basically having an "average" season in almost every aspect. Average efficiency. Average shooting. Average assists. Doesn't turn the ball over a lot, but also can't make a layup to save his life. Defense he's fine but he doesn't take on the #1 guy like Brooks. Probably inferior to his better Toronto seasons.

You can argue Vanvleet is better than Brooks, but is he 2x more valuable? That seems a stretch, and if we're talking out whos living up to the contract, Brooks is way closer to what you'd expect for $20m than FVV is for $40.

The other thing also is that, at least according to Bobby Marks, the $20 million contract is apparently expected to bevery valuable on the trade market this off season due to cap reasons, if that's what you care about (and since Tillman has given us his 4th straight shitty team - that's all we can care about)

#25 SamFisher, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If you put stock into either of these stats they say FVV is worth more than twice Brooks.

EPM Wins stat
    FVV : +7.6
    Brooks : +3.0

WinShares
    FVV : +5.3
    Brooks : +2.1

roslolian and astrosrule like this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The signings were fine. They improved the team. Maybe not by the margin everyone expected (I thought +12), but it was still improvement. What did these signings prevent them from doing?

roslolian likes this.
  8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The vorp stats are rough on brooks, they view him as a negative player, so worth 0. I think if brooks is “worth” 20 mil a year, FVV should be in the 55ish range. When we signed brooks i viewed him as a minimum player, i think at this point i would be ok if he got something like 3/20 or even 3/25, mainly as a backup

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Brooks will impact cap space for the last 2 years of his deal, so depending on the cost to dump his contract he may cost us a lot or a little

kspires999 and Little Bit like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Point proven.
    Thank you, Miss Cleo.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, the original deal was for Lopez to be included in that money, but when he welshed at the last minute, cap flexibility disappeared and the remainder rolled into Brooks' contract.

So the need for a trad big was known and the added depth would've made the team more resilient to injuries and give Uncle Jeff more rest to cover his flaws.

I predicted 32-40 wins in that prediction thread, but didn't think vet injuries/depth would be the problem.

We'll likely go on a winning tear at the end of the season when half of the league stops caring about winning and positions for the draft. I don't think Udoka will tolerate tanking awfully to avoid the risk of OKC taking our pick because the team has had enough of Silas stink...the players, the culture, and the fans.

Patty t*** acts like he has covid fog and can't smell.

ElPigto and theDude like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

It's one more season of FVV who has been arguably the worst of the two contracts.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If you predicted the Rockets to win 12 more games, you are on the money, so far. Through 59 games, they were 13-46 last season. Through 59 games this season, they are 25-34.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The total amount of Brooks' contract is almost identical to FVV's. One is spread out to two times longer, which is going to be harder to unload if he doesn't play up to the value. And his efficiency has come back down to his former level in the past month and a half.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Our 'vets' did their job, did what they were supposed to do, we thank them for their service but they are not seen as saviors.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They were also 3-0 or 4-1 in their last 3-4 games last year though which I did not see it coming.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why do you need to dump him? He is serviceable either as a starter or even off the bench. He is only 29 RN and should still be serviceable 2 yrs from now.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

The entire teams efficiency has been affected by Jalen Green shooting blanks. Once we get some people able to hit 3s Brooks efficiency should come up again.

For the season Brooks is still hitting 38% from 3, 84% from ft and 56% TS which are all decent nos.

20. SamFisher

Don't really agree.

Total value is not that relevant in general since this is not like you or me doing the amortization on a 30 year fixed mortgage. Tillman can pay it regardless- rather it's an allocation issue of dollars within and up to the level of the salary cap/apron etc.

On a pure salary basis, $20 m for a starter quality player - which between his defense and acceptable shooting - I think Brooks has been - is basically the going rate under the new CBA. I don't think you can say the same about $40m for a starter quality player.

Second - though again this could be full of **** - per Bobby Marks around the trade deadline, $20 m salary allocations are and project to be the most valuable piece in terms of fitting into trade deals (particularly when it's a pretty plug & play 3&D guy like Brooks) going forward due to repeater taxes & all that.

Fred meanwhile is basically looking at salary dump for a max player & waive level of value - nice if it happens but probably is a long shot.

Finally - not only is the salary cap likely to rise in upcoming seasons due to TV deals etc, but Brooks annual salary declines over the course of his deal (contrast this with FVV who gets a $2m raise next year). If anything his relative contract value gets better next year and every subsequent year provided he plays at the same level.

I frankly don't think it's even close. Both Brooks are very close to the median for their player archetype - and ones at 40 and ones at 22 eventually going down to 19 (and he's 2 years younger than FVV, so the 1-2 extra years make sense)

I was much more skeptical on Brooks initially but the way his contract is worked is set up to be pretty good.

It's pathetic btw that this is what we have to talk about rather than basketball, but that's the state of the sorry ass team Stonetitta has given us.

Easy likes this.