1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Nope. People have been complaining about Allen being greatly undersold so how much better the pick would have been is relevant to me. I have repeatedly said or agreed that the Rockets could have gotten more for Allen. But my guess is that it probably would not have been much more at the deadline last year. At a certain point I think it's ok to just take the pick and move on instead of haggling for a slightly better deal. If the reports about getting offered a first for Gordon are true I wish they would have just taken it instead of trying for a better first.

#941 gmoney411, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Big mistake by Stone.

Why keep Oladipo and trade Allen?

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Because of this. He wanted to keep one. Surprise! it was the wrong one. imagine if dipo accepted like he should have. Stone got saved by a player being dumb

Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jarrett wanted a max contract and we were about to go on a full rebuild. Yes, I'll take Allen over scrubby Jabari

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

fake news assumption

He ends up making less than max and taking a mediocre $20 mil per contract and is now underpaid as a starting all star center. He was also a measly 22 at the time and already a proven defensive center

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Stone's fixation with Oladipo was insane in hindsight. WTF was he thinking?

AXG, napalm06, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Oladipo didn't even have upside at that point. He had been back from his injury for months and was more washed than an old pair of jean. It's like Stone never bothered watching new film.

AroundTheWorld and YOLO like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's bizarre.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Even at the time, it was a moot point. If we kept Allen and couldn't come to an agreement on a new contract, we could've easily sent him off at the trade deadline for usable assets. Keeping Oladipo instead was a gigantic mistake.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

you mean Josh Christopher isn't enough to show for him?

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Embarrassing that Stone was so short-sighted. Forget about drafting Green, this was the easiest of Stone's mistakes to see in advance.

slothy420 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone would’ve been the biggest laughingstock of the 21st century had Oladipo not been delusional

when I heard he had offered Dipo a contract extension, it was at that point that it became 100% official for me that we are screwed with this guy running things

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m sure if Dipo had accepted that ludicrous extension, we’d have had the usual suspects on here lauding the movie trying to tell people how Dipo’s contract could now be used in a deal for some mythical star…that he’s now a valuable trade chip, especially in the final year when he’s an expiring :rolleyes::rolleyes:

snowconeman22, YOLO and kubli9 like this.
  15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was obvious from day 1 that Stone was unqualified to be GM and this blunder was just the beginning. He's beyond needing to be fired at this point, he should never work in the NBA again.

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Stone was delusional about Oladipo, then KPJ and probably now about Green. He is pretty much consistent about it. He got bailed out in the first two but the cost is increasing at each iteration.

The bomb is ticking for another colossal mistake.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

2021 article on Dipo from Ben DuBose

Though many around the NBA found Houston’s trade return for Victor Oladipo underwhelming, Rockets GM Rafael Stone defended his deal with Miami in Monday’s post-deadline press conference.

“We had organizationally made a decision that the Victor fit… wasn’t a good one,” he said. “So, at that point, what do you do? Then, it became make a deal that has some upside, and move on to the next stage.”

“We really like the guys in the deal,” Stone said. “Kelly [Olynyk] and Avery [Bradley] are both guys we’ve liked for several years. And then, the opening up a spot for the current players on our roster, playing time opportunities, particularly for Kevin [Porter Jr.], was important.

Stone pointed out that the Rockets have an affordable team option on Bradley’s contract for the 2021-22 season, and they will have Bird rights to help retain Olynyk beyond this year, if they desire.​

A year later
    • Veteran guard Avery Bradley will not be returning to the Rockets in the 2021-22 season, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. In what Charania refers to as a “mutual decision,” Houston will turn down the $5.9-million team option.
    • 8/2/2021 - NBA free agency reports: Rockets lose Kelly Olynyk (to Pistons)
    * Theis later replaced Olynyk.
    * All the 2nd round picks to offload KPJ, not to mention the development starter minutes wasted during tank years.

[​IMG]

AXG, kubli9, Crashlanded19 and 4 others like this.
  18. Damion Laverne

All fireable offenses

kubli9, Crashlanded19 and Shark44 like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Why is Stone still here?

And don't say the draft, that was likely our other guy.

kubli9 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

I'm sorry but it's just absurd that this is some major misstep or set the Rockets back in a meaningful way.

And what if we kept Allen and resigned him? How likely would we have traded up for Sengun, who was a non shooting PF/C to go along with an even more non shooting center in Allen? I'd argue less likely.

roslolian likes this.