1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans extending Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What a memory. I can't remember yesterday's threads, much less one from two years ago.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Absolutely critical to have an elite LT. Our entire season depends on CJ staying healthy.

3. raining threes

This was spot on.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

LT is our LT.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was just looking at FA Gs and noticed even players who play C, G and T at a high level seem to have more trouble at LG than any other position. In fact, one was unsuccessful at LG, but very successful at RG. Perhaps it is time to stop lumping RGs and LGs into the same category. They appear to require different skill sets.

This is just following up our greatest need on the OL, LG. Several good to great OL have tried and failed by taking one for the team and moving way from their natural OL positions to cover the need. Perhaps it's time to find one who has been successful THERE at LG. But putting together a list to select from has been difficult because figuring out who the successful LGs are is difficult just looking at the current categories.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Are you quicker to you left or to your right? Left or Right arm and leg is stronger?

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I lack skills to do either, but I'm strongly left eye, and right arm and leg dominant. Perhaps more than most. And perhaps that is why some can cover both sides and some can't. It would be interesting to see if hand dominance correlates to OL position aptitude.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq (O'Neal, not Mason) probably disagrees with this approach, but hopefully this means Tunsil is full go next season.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Good to hear that. I think at least some of the draft mockers believed he would begin the season on IR.

I was concerned about LG, but as I investigated the matter, I believe we have the answer coming off IR with Kenyon Green, the 15th pick in the 22 draft. He struggled as a 21 year old rookie and was injured last year so many call him a bust. But OL sometimes take a bit to refine their skills and he's only 22 and will be 23 when the season starts.

Draft position doesn't guarantee success, but it does increase the probability of success.

LT Tunsil 13th overall pick in 2019
    LG Ky Green 15th overall pick in 2022
    C Scruggs 62nd overall pick in 2023
    RG Mason 131st overall pick in 2015
    RT Howard 23rd overall pick in 2019

Backups Kd Green; Broeker; Eiselson; Patterson and Zierer with Thomas on Reserves/Futures. All we need is health.

IF we need a replacement because either tackle goes on IR, we can consider bringing back Fant as a swing tackle to help out Zierer and Thomas who are 24 and 23.

#250 Marshall Bryant, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    houstonstime likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agree completely. If the line is bad again next year, then we can look to upgrade in FA and draft. But this off-season we need to fill the other holes and give this line a chance to gel with the new system and each other.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We have the potential to improve here without committing additional resources. So let's at least begin with what we have.

houstonstime likes this.
  13. raining threes

Cant believe he was a top 5 LT playing on one leg..

Stud

deb4rockets and houstonstime like this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the laugh. :p
    Should we call him Flamingo?