1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Shaq wants to see Alpi on the Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 27, 2024.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Do you have any idea how many times I had to click on show ignored comments to post this?

kubli9, cml750, maypk and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I definitely agree with that but I think we’re interested in different points.

You’re interested in the point at which both of us agree he is undoubtedly a star. That’s when he can hit the 3 and also start attacking close outs out of which he can score or kick out. I get that and very few would disagree with us since he would be scoring 25+ ppg on elite efficiency. For most nba fans they don’t need or understand much more than that.

I’m more interested in the point at which he’s not yet a star but it’s obvious he’s going to be. For me at this point I’m 99% sure he will develop a respectable jumper and improve his defense by 15-20% in less than 2 years. So at this point his trade value, development and teammate selection is star-like already. I don’t think he can be derailed from this trajectory.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Here is the thing, I have never said he won't be a star. He's a borderline star right now as it is. The question for me has always been, will he become a franchise type superstar that we can build around. When I say I am not convinced that he is, that is simply based on who he is right now and what I believe he needs to gain and how from that perspective he has done little to persuade me otherwise thus far. While I'm not betting on him, I am certainly not going to count him out either and say he can't do it. Sengun is smart and hardworking. It is entirely feasible for him to hike up his FT rate and develop respectable range. Actions speak louder than words however and I am waiting for him to SHOW me as opposed to listening to his fans make empty promises that he will.

"Hail Hydra" likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I literally laughed out loud at this :D

cml750 and MadMax like this.
  5. MadMax

I’m just grateful I could read this one!

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I can respect that but consider something else:

Steph Curry, Ja Morant, Jason Tatum, Lillard, Jokic, Kobe, T-Mac, Banchero and pretty much every such player (high impact, high potential) all had dangerous flaws when they were 21 or in their 3rd year. Their teams believed in them. They had major deficiencies like injury proneness, defense, no rim-attacking ability or no star-level impact on winning. These guys hit their polished point in their mid 20’s but you can’t act like they don’t exist or they’re not stars till halfway into their second contract. I believe that’s the approach we should take (believing in our guys). Sengun has earned that imo.

The standard you’re holding him to only generational super max superstars tend to reach (Lebron, Doncic, Duncan, etc). That’s to say: they have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt by year 3 that they are supermax players forever. That’s too high a standard. If Sengun develops a 3pt shot and naturally improves his defense 10% do you understand what calibre of player we're talking about? High TS% 25 points, 9 rebounds, 5+ assists who is able to score anywhere between the 3pt line and a post up while also being the only rim protector on a top 10 defense? I don't think people are quite grasping how few players have that level of impact year on year.

Again I get you’re very cautious but I’m not as cautious. If we commit and it doesn’t work out somehow, we will live. Downgrade him to 2nd or 3rd fiddle. However continuing to treat him like a non-star will sap his motivation.

I think he’s earned more than “maybe he will maybe he won’t”. That’s my approach at least.

#126 Mathloom, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    "Hail Hydra" and clutchdabear like this.
  7. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

TBF the VanVleet contract is a 3 year deal with the last year being a team option, so we’ll likely only get 2 years out of him. I was never really a fan of the Brooks signing though, even though he’s been better than what I expected but we gave him a 4 year deal and we already had Tari, Cam, and Tate.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Once?

9. MadMax

10. Monkeychef02

Monkeychef02 Member

He is easy trade bait that only gets easier to move each year.

11. Sengun

Sengun Member

She uses her Twitter account so often and texting with fans. What's more normal than this?

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it would not be considered possible pre-Social media era but now everyone is texting everyone.

13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

No, that is not at all normal, what's wrong with you?

GOATuve likes this.
  14. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Your house?
    Who did you blow to get the title deed?
    This is a forum and you have no share in the ownership.
    You don't like it, you get out - watch out for the door.

GOATuve likes this.
  15. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

YAY!
    The BBIQ of the Fakers is much higher than that of the Rockets.
    They hit a shitload of 3's too.
    Sengun will thrive over there.
    He'll also multiply his income in endorsements.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

First time someone considers GARM his home lol......that is like considering a minor cesspool his home.....

GOATuve likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

HardenReturns and WestendMassive like this.
  18. plegus

plegus Member

RocketsEnjoyer level cringe.

19. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Shaq is too quick to point out faults without analyzing the team thoroughly. The Rockets tanked and got unlucky by being unable to land Wemby or Banchero. The team would have been much different today if this wasn't the case. It seems Apli was the luckiest prospect that somehow landed in Rockets lap and Shaq wants that too gone. Might as well just make Rockets cease to exist completely if the logic is good players should end up in LA. Shaq can just f*ck off!

rockets1995 likes this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Owner, GM, Head Coach saying Phase 2 Nonsense Blew up in Ime Udoka, Rafael Stone, Tillman Ferttita Faces.

Hire Specific Coaches, 3 Point Shooting Coach and a Defense Coach is needed. Former Guards that can Shoot, Dribble,Create off the Dribble and Catch and Shoot.

Too many Amateur Young Assistant Coaches on the Rockets, Replace them and Upgrade the Coaches.

Find teaching Former Players that can share information, teach them on the fly in game instead of benching and giving up. Ime Udoka acts ridiculous in constant benching of Players.

GOATuve likes this.