1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Season's Pretty Much Over - Thoughts moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Buck Turgidson

1. Maybe
    2. Maybe
    3. Somewhat
    4. Maybe
    5. Something
    6. Something
    7. Maybe
    8. Somebody

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This was precisely what Roosh was waiting for to complain about.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. pippsux

pippsux Member

ATP I don’t know. After 3 years of being a laughing stock, I thought this season would be a legit turnaround. Here we are in late February, new coach, new additions, young core and we absolutely suck!

But, still a rockets fan. :(

5. MystikArkitect

The Thunder are where they are because everyone buys in, SGA is a superstar and every player is efficient. Expecting this team to make a leap this year in the standings is short sighted.

ico4498, wlekfjv923n and BaselineFade like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And if Memphis had a more normal injury luck year we would likely be 13th.

jim1961 likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

And in the worst draft in a decade.

OremLK likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its something any Rockets fan should complain about or at least question.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We are not comparable to the Thunder, agreed.

But rising from 14th to 12th in the west is pretty paltry.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Presti identified SGA as his future superstar and built around him accordingly. Stone identified KPJ as his future superstar, and attempted to build around him (see Bruno).

It is what it is.

#110 BaselineFade, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    cml750 and MystikArkitect like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Bingo. And he appears to be going the same route with Jalen Green if what Jackson said has any merit. This guy needs to be removed ASAP.

cml750, wlekfjv923n and BaselineFade like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Remember them poll threads predictions on 30-35 wins. Those were more realistic. I'm not mad at the folks who wanted 40+ wins and play-in, we all want it, but doesn't mean it would happen.

It's still an improvement over last year. And gentle reminder that Pistons also got more vets and couldn't climb out. Improvements will take time and as folks are speculated more of the 'core' will get adjusted and trimmed.

The $60 mil spent quote sounds catchy, but we all know the context behind those contract structuring:
    1. meeting salary minimum floor,
    2. free agent silas tax
    3. Length of fvv/dillon contracts are purposeful in case any of the young core are worthy of extending,
    Doesn't mean Stone is off the hook, but we know why things are the way they are.

#112 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 28, 2024
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I started off so pumped when the team started winning. Then?

[​IMG]

Injuries have not helped. Tari Eason, whither thou?

Jalen Green having the reins taken from him has really messed with what there is of his brain. His game now? If I may quote my mother, 40 years ago, when the Visible Changes stylist brought my 10 year-old self from the barber chair to where Mom sat in the waiting area, looked at me, and gave an unvarnished assessment: "It.......looks.......like.......sh*t."

Are stories true of the organization being kind-of "meh" on Sengun, and "worried" about Green, or are these opinions filtered through someone's lens and coming out slightly distorted? Is it that the organization wants to put a better pairing with Sengun so that his liabilities are diminished, and are actually "alarmed" (as should be the case) at Jalen Green's sucking-a-dog's-red-d*** play as of late but are keeping a lid on it?

Dillon has certainly crashed back down to earth. Got his contract, started off wanting to prove himself, then regressed to form.

Fred VanVleet at $40,000,000 and his shooting is often:

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld and jim1961 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

The rockets are fortunate Ja has been out all year as well as Bane. And even so, they have a measly 5 more wins than a decimated Memphis team playing a bunch of corpses and JJ jr. Other wise they would be rising from 14th to 13th after throwing out max money and a $90 mil multi year deal for some role players

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Our Injuries have not been anything to sneeze at either
    but
    it's part of the game.

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  16. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

1) Yes, we should focus around Sengun but he's not a clear cut #1 definite thing yet. He's not the piece where you throw everything away to build around, but he's definitely a key piece.
    2) I think JG's time is pretty much over. I know he's young and all (and for that reason, some other team might still take minimum salary-take chance on him) but he'll be another one of those that's out of NBA in a few years. I think he can still succeed elsewhere like Europe or Asia and possibly make a return to NBA as a solid bench spark player but he's definitely not the guy we thought he could be. I don't think many people are using this word to describe him but I think it's sadly true - he's a bust.
    3) Amen has real potential but still needs to develop a reliable jumper. Offseason improvement will be interesting to watch. If he develops the jumper and higher control of the game, he's definitely an NBA player but if not, might be a backup player. As with all young potential talents, rate of improvement is what we need to watch. I think this part is so vastly underrated - how they come back from the summer a better player or is it more of the same.
    4) Absolutely Cam needs to learn a lot more. He's definitely showing flash but there's many players that show flash but don't pan out. He definitely could be special but defenses aren't focusing on him (like Sengun) and there's a lot that he hasn't learned yet - how to get fouled, how to play solid defense, how to playmake. Definitely one of the most exiciting things for Rockets though.
    5) Jabari needs to continue to get better. I think he's shown improvement in his 2nd year and the hope is he makes a major jump next year. I think he's got the attitude to work it out, especially with a disciplined coach like Udoka on board, but his ceiling is not super high, in my opinion. Best case scenario could like a 3rd best player on a contending team (maybe that's a high ceiling?)
    6) Depends on who's available in trade but I think we try to use in a trade to get another proven piece. Fanbase might not like it but another proven starting caliber vets (like battier? fred/dillon?). Obviously a young potential talent might be great but those are hard to get. I don't know about having another rookie when we have our core 6 (perhaps 5). Also depends on which draft pick it ends up being.
    7) This is so underreported story of the year. It's absolutely crazy that he's missed this much time. Rockets are absolutely not forthcoming about what exactly is happening here. He's definitely an impact player on the court (although I don't think we miss him as much as some people think - we'd still be losing games) so this is super curious. Hoping for the best because he really is an asset.
    8) I don't know / haven't done enough research to give intelligent answer. How much room do we even have? Next year's starting lineup ideally would not include JG but you know it will, because of the business side of things. Marketing and all the investments. JG is actively hurting the Rockets' chances of winning games this year and everybody including the coaches/GM knows it but we're playing him anyway because asset management, etc. When we do finally do away with JG (either trade or contract expiry), we will really be a better team. If somehow we don't have JG in starting line up next year, with projected improvements overall to everyone, including Sengun, I think we'll make the play-in and hoepfully make some noise there too.
    Thanks for the questions and thanks for reading

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Grizz would not be 13th under normal circumstances so the Rockets are 13th in another year.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

Im imagining that the payoff we are all hoping for begins next season. Next year is the year they either make the playoffs or I think heads roll. Below I have listed who I think is here for the long haul and then below that is what steps I would take to move the Rockets toward relevance. Please note the comps are there more to describe how I see a player's game and to give an idea of their potential impact. Not so much player A is exactly like player X or is as productive.

Next Season
    FVV: starting PG
    Cam: starting SG (less well rounded Anthony Edwards)
    Brooks: starting SF
    Jabari: starting PF (Lamarcus Aldridge with better range)
    Sengun: starting C (D. Sabonis+)

Amen: eventual starting PG (bigger Westbrook with better IQ)
    Tari: eventual starting SF with PF minutes (Shawn Marion)
    Adams: backup C

What Id do
    Jalen Green to Charlotte for Grant Williams, Nick Richards and right to swap 2025 FRP (so theyd most likely end up with OKC's pick)

Assuming there is no lottery magic the Rockets would be picking at #7 and at #44. At 7, Id select Dalton Knecht (a guy I think has similarities to Glen Rice or Dan Majerle) and at 44 I'd go with Tyler Kolek (just a steady hand on the second unit with a good shot). Both of these guys are older prospects so the Rockets wouldnt be waiting on their physical development as well as their game improving. I think both offer immediate help with the shooting woes and slot in at spots of need off the bench.

Roster for the long haul

1: Thompson/Kolek
    2: Whitmore/Knecht/Thompson
    3: Eason/Whitmore/Williams
    4: Smith/Williams/Eason
    5: Sengun/Richards

#118 sydmill, Feb 28, 2024
    wlekfjv923n likes this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would have rather given Nix a $40M (or however much) one year contract than FVV his 2 year + TO contract to meet the salary min

20. Nook

Nook Member

Presti held the Clippers under the barrel of a gun and made them give him everything possible for Paul George because Leonard wouldn’t sign otherwise.

It isn’t like Presti knew he was special. Now, they helped developed him and surrounded him with competent coaching and they deserve credit for that - meanwhile Green was a guest at Club Stone where he didn’t have to listen to his mealy mouthed coach and only had to clear it with Stone who apparently thought he was a foster parent for wayward kids.

Deuce, AroundTheWorld, cml750 and 4 others like this.