1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors: JG4 refusing to be sixth man and believing him not being properly used

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 21, 2024.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

There’s nothing alarming about half the top 40 picks already out of the league in a span of 2-3 years. Ok

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It just means that a lot of the people doing the drafting at the top are looking for the wrong things. It makes some sense given that a lot of the teams drafting at the top are bad organizations.

Ubiquitin, BigShasta and theDude like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Teams look at the draft like scratch offs. They don’t care about older players with solid basketball skills. They are hunting for the next steal with great physical attributes

Morey had a good approach for this when he was drafting in the late rounds. He chose older college players that were elite at something in college even if their measurables were lacking. Brooks and Landry were great examples of this

#303 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not half, it’s 40%. And 25% were never actually in the league as second rounders (I.e. no guaranteed contract). When the league decided to go with more and more 19 year olds, this is the result: kids getting drafted who are not ready to contribute and teams not having the time, patience, resources, etc. to teach them the things college used to do. Maybe you are surprised by this, but I am not.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

It says nearly half. Yes you should be surprised bc it speaks to the actual lack of talent entering the league. Especially when it specifically says top 40

6. theDude

Supporting Member

Don’t forget the king of them all: Chandler Parsons

glimmertwins likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

id say it’s more of a testament of the talent who is still in the league playing at a high level. You have tons of players over the age of 34 playing in the league

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's a whopping 25 players that are over the age of 34 that are under contract for this year.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. theDude

Supporting Member

I’m not saying that it’s not disappointing and not a problem, just that it’s not surprising. If the NBA wanted to fix this, teams would stop drafting players who aren’t ready.

I think it’s also a padded number. What would the percentage be if you were only to include players drafted 1-30 in those years?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

many of them are still pending this summer if they get waived or don't even make it to a standard deal, as the tweet stated which could possibly increase the number that it already is at

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yes and no. At the top of the lottery these scratch tickets are working out just fine. All these recent physical unicorns, Chet, Victor, Scottie Barnes, even Mobley are panning out just fine. We just got a dud with Green. Honestly physically Green even Jabari are both quite lackluster, both small wingspans, Jabari really can't jump, Green has tiny hands, tiny frame.

If you go by Morey's example, he drafted Morris over Kawhi. I would argue Kawhi is a way more of a specimen physically than Morris.

People shat on the Amen pick, but his athleticism, size and wingspan is making him make the leap.

theDude likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You hit some you miss some, especially when drafting them at 19......

DD

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

You just now figured out the league was getting weaker as a whole (from 8 to now 30 teams)?

Its mentioned on here how their own draft picks were over hyped and one didn't get enough hype (sengun), so if the Rockets selected from 3 consecutive weak NBA drafts, then no wonder the NBA value has plummeted

The drafts are the lifeline of the league, if they are weak drafts then this is what you will get, which is why they are riding til the wheels fall off of this Bron/KD/Curry era

Luka/Jokic/Tatum/Davis don't have the charisma/box office like Bron etc but they are next on deck and they have been in the league for years, which is why they pump up the young Twolf A Edwards

BamBam likes this.
  14. ths balla

ths balla Member

The irony though is the same people that are hating on his perceived "higher basketball IQ" are the same people posting here daily thinking they know more than most with clown takes like "Jalen should be our #1 option. We all do it and I have even disagreed with Roosh on takes but I move on.

Im also definitely one of those that knows their basketball opinions/thoughts are at a higher level than the average basketball fan/Clutchfans member, can call it narcissism, being an ******* or whatever but I like having high level educated discussion, not having to entertain the fans that have the basketball IQ of Rashad McCants lol

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

I was biased and cared about 1 of 82 when I was a teenager and in my twenties. Now I fairly predicted us fighting for a 10th seed play-in spot and all I really care about is if were improving in areas and if the team Im betting on is covering the spread.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Givony is trying to imply that players have a shorter leash to prove themselves now, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you look 20 years prior to his sample, the 2000 and 2001 drafts, 32% of the players had careers lasting five seasons or less. RIP Eddie Griffin. Many of the players that had longer careers were given up on by their original team. DeSangana Diop was a top ten pick and played 12 seasons, but was a total bust in Cleveland and appeared to be on his way out of the league. He would not have been considered a success story in 2005.

17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I agree about his athleticism. But I'd argue that what fundamentally distinguishes Amen from Jalen is his will to compete. Amen attacks and defends like he means it.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Pretty telling.

Odd that their is one player Jalen makes better and its Cam Whitmore.
    Seems like maybe those two should go off and on the court together.
    Unless your going to bench Brooks, the only way this can happen is off the bench.