1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Season's Pretty Much Over - Thoughts moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Feb 26, 2024.

1. conquistador#11

Finish strong. Can't run out of gas next year. Now we wait for the 26 year old superstar to be traded here.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Too early to give up on Sengun as franchise player. Give another season or two to see if he can develop an outside shot.

Probably too early to give up on Jalen. He can get his shot against any defense, but it all depends on his outside shot. Give one more season before trade.
    Agreed Bari is on right track. Same with Bari assume he recovers help. Agreed Amen needs another season as he is playing now with FVV. Agreed Cam is being developed wisely as instant offense and should take more minutes as he learns his limitations and how to do basic passing.
    Keep the picks and draft at 8 as SI suggests. TidJane Salaun
    could be perfect player to develop on the front line with Sengun. Still growing might be 6'11" and can shoot athletic. Great upside
    Draft:

Little Bit likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Finish strong, makes some trades, bring back KPJ.....

:)

DD

PS. the third one was a joke, sorta.....

Ankara1923 likes this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

1) Can and should the team build around Sengun and how committed should they be?

They should build around Sengun and another Star player, Sengun is a Star player. In his 3rd year he almost made the ALL STAR team and some can ARGUE he is already a top 5-6 center in the NBA.

2) Is Jalen Green's time done? Can he ever be a real basketball player?
    Green is a nice basketball player, but he is not a STAR. He is not consistent, he does not have that DOG MENTALITY and sometimes he haves brain fogs when the ball in his hands.

3) How ready is Amen to take the reigns? What to do with FVV?
    Fred should continue to start and Amen should come off the bench for now. This summer, Amen really needs to work on his shooting and I believe in the middle of next year he will take over. You can see he is a future ALL NBA DEFENSE TEAM MEMBER.

4) Is Cam ready to the alpha scorer or should he learn more next year?
    No, he needs to work more on his offense moves, shooting and defense. Cam is going to be a #1 or #2 in the future. Ime needs to play him at least 25 minutes a game and I believe before the year end he should be averaging 15-16 points a game.

5) What is the future for Jabari Smith? What should be his trajectory?
    Jabari is not a STAR! He is a solid role player, who is becoming a solid rebounder. Chet and Pablo are becoming STARS, Jabari is a solid role player. Honestly, Tari is and always been a better player than Jabari. We need to come down on Jabari being a Star.

6) What to do with the Nets picks?
    Make the pick and draft a good two-way player

7) What the hell happened with Tari and is this a concern moving forward?
    Nobody knows, everything is always HUSH-HUSH on injuries.

8) What should we target in free agency? And what does next year's starting lineup look like?
    We need to go after Robert Williams from Portland to be our backup Power Forward behind Jabari. He need a powerful, strong, rebounder and shot blocking Power Forward who can help Sengun. Also, we need another Star, so I would trade Jalen and Dillion for Zach Lavine. Zach Lavine has a high salary but he is a top 5 shooting guard right now and can average 25 points a game. Sengun and Lavine are both STARS in the NBA and would be a great tandem

Fred
    Zach
    Tari
    Jabari
    Sengun

Bench
    Amen, Cam, Robert Williams and Steven Adams

So what would you do this offseason and starting next season? Rockets have talent but are also a blank canvas so to speak. No real alpha scorer on the team.

trade for Zach Lavine for that ALPHA SCORER, we need to be bigger and stronger inside the paint, we need a shot blocker…we need Robert Williams

Ankara1923 likes this.
  5. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Bring back Tari would fit better.

Lovemachine2000 and DaDakota like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FVV & his facilitating contract get dealt along with assets in the offseason or at the deadline for a star.

JG is done as a Rocket and is moved in the offseason.

Jabari, Amen, and Cam are fixtures for sure....many All Star games in their future.

Sengun should become an MVP caliber player, and while I'm reticent about moving him, if the right deal came along, I'm not averse to doing so.. But it would have to be for the WORLD. I only say this because of fit on both sides of the ball. I do think his own/ Jabari's physical maturation will help tremendously on the defensive side of the ball. Having Aquaman in the mix, off the bench, is a really going to be huge too...on the boards, interior defense, as an enforcer, and a mentor An extremely underrated move. We'll see how this all looks.

The Harden deal was beautiful & the Nets picks are GOLD.
    Tari@ 17 was a helluva pick. (present health issues not withstanding) Even if he's not back until next year...worth the wait. It's also conceivable that he's moved, as that star for FVV & assets could very well be a starting All Star SF.
    BKN will have the 6-9th worst record this year, which will give us a decent shot at landing in the top 4. And, if not there, we'll be close to it.
    25-27 picks and swaps are primo as BKN is comprised of role players with their only assets likely being late first rounders. Yeah, they'll do what THEY do...Instead of rebuilding, BKN will attempt to patch together a competitive team through FA/dealing Simmons, and they will fail. Everything would have to go perfect for them to just be a play in team, or slightly better. No margin for error... It's been checkmate for a long time.
    All that said, the Rockets might move a couple of these with FVV for the right player.

All in all, I love watching the organic growth. We've got a great coach.

What an exciting time to be a Rockets fan!

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Come on, be realistic. How are you seeing now his "real" limitation? We've been starting Green who is a 30% shooter shooting worse than 30% recently. If Sengun gets double teamed, he kicks it to the open guy. The guy they're leaving open is Jalen. Sengun doesn't get an assist for that if Jalen misses. He's doing decent at beating double teams, but they're double teaming hard and sometimes even triple teaming him. The correct superstar play is to hit the open man.

The other guy starting in the backcourt (FVV) is shooting 32% from 3 the past 10 games. Recently he was injured and in his place we started an 18% 3pt shooter (Amen).

This is when you decided to do the test for his "real limitation"? That's not a fair assessment. At our healthiest we were roughly a .500 team and during that period was a perfect time to measure his strengths and limitations. FVV and Green were both shooting better (but still not their best). The team's perimeter defense was holding up better. That's a more appropriate time to see what Sengun is capable of. We don't look at his worst stretch in the worst situation and take it from there.

The moment you have a playmaking C, teams know to surround them with shooters and a PnR partner (Draymond/Curry, Sabonis/Fox, Jokic/Murray). When FVV/Brooks/Jabari are shooting their average and Jalen Green's 3 is falling at like a 36% rate, we've been extremely difficult to beat and Sengun has looked like a clear star. Give him a little more credit.

#47 Mathloom, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets are stuck in No man's land....

The best shooters and PnR players are targeting other teams and the Rockets mostly come 2nd or 3rd or 4th.

They are not LA or NY but they are also not a small, intelligent market like San Antonio, OKC.

Basically Udoka is a copy cat of Jeff Van Gundy and Popovich light.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Holy sh*t you are really really bad at this.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jabari is a Houston Star because they ain't got not many stars.....

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol the Rockets become the 2nd Memphis Grizzlies and Ja is flashing toy guns around here.....

The Grizzlies were not a Finals team.

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Fred/Holiday?
    Green/Whitmore
    Amen/Brooks
    Bari/Tari
    Sengun/Adam’s

Id be pretty comfortable with that lineup. I think we can make the play in with a year experience under Amen and Cams belt

Start Amen and let Fred be more of a shooting guard as Amen gets more ball handling duties and we transition from Fred by end of next season

I would start Cam over Green but I also just want to trade green if he can’t accept 6th man

13. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Mby thoughts on moving forward are that the front office needs to get its act together regarding Tari Eason, and hold a press conference or something where they walk us through exactly what has happened with him and where we’re at. This practice of dribbling little bits of information every once in a while only deepens the mystery. Have some respect for the fans.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why? Who cares.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

1. we don’t need to build around any one guy. We have Amen (future superstar), Sengun (perennial all-star), Jabari ( multiple all-star, all defensive candidate) we should build around our core and play a fast paced game with stifling defense.
    2. Jalen should be traded unless he can adjust to a sixth man role.
    3. Amen should be starting right now nd b th starting point guard by the trade deadline next year. Amen is already our best defensive player and maybe our best rebounder.
    4. Cam should be a sixth man until he learns to play defense and gets better court vision.
    5. Jabari is going to be a solid all-star level player with twenty more pounds of muscle.
    6. Should be traded with Jalen for a legit all-star level sg.if not available pick ware as a project this year and see what becomes available with the rest of the picks next year.
    7. We don’t have the info to make any kind of reasonable take on this, other than he is integral to the team if healthy and a future starter at SF.
    8. Target Booker in trade. If at all possible. Have to find a staring shooting guard. Cam is not ready and will be dynamite off the bench. Amen, Jabari, an Segun should all start. Other 2 positions would be determined on who we add. If no sg is added then: FVV, Amen, Brooks or Tari, Jabari, Sengun.

#55 Hemingway, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Y2JT likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Gave me the feels

Strawberry Gum and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

with only 12 spots on the Western Conference all-star team, that’s a lot of all stars for one team

Nook, Ancient Moabite and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA does not lack stars and All Stars.

Nook likes this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not think Jabari has a ALL STAR in the future yet. I need too see if he can average more than 13 points per game and shoot above FG 45% and above 3 Point 37%. He needs to prove me is a elite shooter. His rebounding has improved but he needs to play more physical on defense.

Little Bit likes this.
  20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

1) Should we? Yes. Can we? Knowing this organization, probably not.

2a) yep he’s done.
    2b) probably not.

3) FVV is a solid asset and a good mentor for the young guys. His contract should be tradeable if needed. Amen is the future at that position, though.

4) Needs to work on his bball IQ, but he definitely needs more touches.

5) Jabari is developing nicely, I don’t understand the panic from some posters. He’s our most versatile defender and I’m excited for his future

6) i dunno. Your ideas are as good as mine. Ideally we package them in a trade for a big fish

7) Absolutely concerning. This is reminding me of Markelle Fultz’s phantom injury that derailed his career. Praying for the best.

8) i dunno I’m not really caught up with the upcoming free agents.