1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Suns @ Rockets 2/23/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2024.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two greatest blocks in Rockets regular season history.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

People are on autopilot complaining about the guy. I thought it was a disservice to leave him out of the 2nd half like that, he played well last night. He's got to tighten up the ball security and I'd like to see him come back from the offseason noticeably stronger but good grief. 15/5/5 and competent defense in 20ish minutes? What else is the guy supposed to do?

gfab-babyboi and justinh like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He also had 3 turnovers in those 20 mins. I don’t think he had a disastrous night and I don’t think he needs to be traded for a pack of peanuts, but Ime definitely needs to manage his rotation much like he did last night. Whatever is working that night without any preconceived ideas of who should be in the rotation at what time. Why gift JG minutes when the team was performing better with Amen, Cam, and FVV?

Patience likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Amen was our hero again, what a smart and likeable player. He just plays to win, all the flash is out of necessity. Surprised we were able to win, especially with Jalen and Sengun playing like pansies and Brooks a non-factor. Don’t care for the injury narrative, when you play, you should be able to go.

justinh and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Green played fine. Amen played better and that’s where most of his minutes went. Green probably should have had Brooks minutes.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Let's see. I doubt bol bol will score like he did against other team.

Rockets have a tendency of allowing benchwarmers beat them.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bol has decent Per 36 Minutes numbers.

With Orlando 15 and 10, and now it is 19 and 12.......obviously he would never play those minutes....

He is probably one of the Scrubs that has at least some potential.

9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Woof, Cam was credited with 4 turnovers in 20 minutes. Not here to gas up Jalen, he wasn't perfect. He had that shaqtin stretch in the 2nd but he played well overall and was absolutely the one on the floor during the 2nd/3rd quarter pushes to stay ahead of the Suns. Not Cam. What you've done here is autopilot complain about Jalen based on preconceived notions. I respect your opinions on here but this one just isn't rooted in reality. Cam was good. Jalen was better. Amen was heroic.

If you want to pan one of these guys, let it be Dillon Brooks. He was awful, stupid fouls, complaining, bricks, fouled out and talk about not just robotically playing rotations why was he closing the game (until he fouled out)? He's becoming the black hole on offense we didn't want. Amen is the best defender on the team.

Y'all want a change to the starting 5, let's try FVV-Jalen-Amen-Jabari-Alpe.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think you are making me out as a Jalen hater. I’m just being realistic. He and Cam can share minutes or even be on the court at the same time depending on the situation. I’m just saying Ime did a good job with the rotations and you get butt hurt.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dillon is what he is--as a veteran on the first year of a sizable four-year contract, he's not going to get benched the rest of the season unless he consistently turns in nothing performances like last night, game after game. Every player has bad games.

I will say though, his defense has dropped off--as we discussed, he's probably playing through injury right now. But I think the most you can expect is for his minutes to go down a bit. He'll keep his starting role and keep playing at least in the high 20s for minutes per game.

I would consider trading Dillon during the offseason though. Seems like a drastic step after just one year, but I think a lot of contenders would value him highly since his 3P% got so much better and contending teams always need another defensive stopper. (Provided they can be convinced that his defensive decline was indeed due to an injury.) With Amen, Tari, and Cam all needing minutes at the 3 next season, I think Dillon is a bit expendable.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When Brooks was signed, I thought it would squeeze Tari's minutes. Well, Tari has not been playing a lot due to injuries. But the emergence of Amen and Cam makes the wing spots more crowded anyway.

OremLK likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Amen reads plays better too on offense, so he is in the right place at the right time most of the time.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cam plays at the 2, Amen is the backup pg and Tari is always injured. Dillon isn't going anywhere IMO.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I still see Cam as more of a 3, since he is such a play finisher type and really struggles as a secondary ballhandler/playmaker. Whether Tari is going to be injury-prone or is just having a bad year is TBD; this is the first time he's really shown issues like this. I hope it isn't a sign of long-term problems with his legs.

Another thing to keep in mind--there seems to be a consensus forming that the top talents in this upcoming draft class are, in no particular order:

Zaccharie Risacher (F)
    Reed Shephard (G)
    Cody Williams (F)
    Alex Sarr (F/C)
    Rob Dillingham (G)
    Nikola Topic (G/F)
    Mattas Buzelis (F)
    Ron Holland (F)

So if we keep the Brooklyn draft pick we're likely to have even more depth at the 1-3 spots, which puts even more pressure to free up minutes. (Unless we end up with Sarr or the pick ends up worse than we're currently thinking.)

#1176 OremLK, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Easy likes this.
  17. WestendMassive

Last 2 minute report gave the Suns the moral victory.

Apparently Durant didn't foul Sengun when he clearly didn't allow him freedom of movement and Fred should have been called for running Booger over.

Feels weird being on the other side for once but the Durant bump on Alpe was 100% a foul. Not sure why they're claiming it wasn't

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

LOL. I didn't know there was a rule against faking a free throw. Had to look it up to confirm.

19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

No, I'm not doing anything you speak for yourself. You replied to my post, but you are literally not being realistic. Jalen was a +6 and was actually playing decent defense. Cam was a -2. Cam had more turnovers and less assists.

Noticed how you didn't bother answering my question about why Dillon Brooks was playing in the 4th if earning those minutes is the way it works. Let's go ahead and extend it to Cam so you don't have to avoid it.

20. invocux

invocux Member

He'll be a very good defender i think.