1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Bring in Barkley on a 3 year/$35M incentive-laden deal, Howard on a 1+1 prove it deal at maybe $9-10M, see if you can bring back Greenard, Schultz, and Cashman, and try drafting WR, DL, RB, and DB.

UTSA2step, Rudyc281 and houstonstime like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

delete

#763 tallanvor, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like Nelson back in the fold?

5. raining threes

With the ability to create another 4.5 mil by cutting Woods and if they need more they can always go to the bank of Tunsil.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Now we get to wait on news of HOW they are Franchising him, though the last time someone used the Exclusive Tag was in 2017. I also haven't heard of anyone using the Transition tag.

But what does happen frequently is designation as non-exclusive, negotiation on a new extension, refusal to match an offer or a club house horror.

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Maybe? You can get this from anywhere between creating demand and almost certainty. It's not done until it's done. Signed, sealed and delivered. Most people forget the last two as if they didn't exist.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I would not be opposed to doubling up at CB by signing Nelson and Drafting a CB to rotate in and out. Cooper, Wiggins and DeJean are each improbable individually, but not collectively at 23 and that's without a trade. DeJean is miscast as a Safety because he has been mentioned as a candidate to move to safety. But he's a CB. Nelson is over thirty, so we need a stronger backup, though 1st round might be too high.

DeJean - 1-23 PFMock 89.3 DraftBuzz

Wiggins - 1-22 PFMock 88.8 DraftBuzz

Mitchell - 1-19 PFMock 87.2 DraftBuzz

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've never been able to outrun my debt like some have. It's a different time. I learned to avoid it in the first place. Now you accumulate it as fast as you can and walk away from it.

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm a bit confused about Howard. The only one I know about is our RT and under contract through 2026 with a ton of dead cap. Not even letting him go and offering him a prove it deal would save money.

I ran across the Miami CB who could become available (cap casualty) if that is who you are talking about.

#771 Marshall Bryant, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Depth was our main problem last year. Yes we should spend all our caproom, but great teams are built through the draft and a year after using a lot of future draft capital is not the time to repeat that.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I was confused by your post about being confused until I realized you were talking about Tytus Howard. I was suggesting we sign Xavien Howard, the CB from Miami that's going to be a cap casualty. He's still a very solid player that's from Houston, and putting him opposite Stingley could make this secondary really good.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I saw that after I posted and before I read this post. Since he hasn't been evaluated on SPOTRAC, I have no idea what he would be worth. Nelson was at $10M ranked about 18th.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Great teams are built using every means possible and using the ones that bring the most bang for the buck rather than falling into the window trap.

Hemingway likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree. Also believe that great teams are built from the trenches out and that teams that are great have great depth, because injuries are a given in football. We got franchise players last year at the cost of future draft picks. I think we should either trade down for more draft picks or stand pat and use the draft to build up our depth. I think a stud DT in FA would have the biggest impact on our team than any other get. I’d sign DT, greenard, Nelson, schultz, singletary, and Fairborn for sure. I’m no draftnik, but cb, lb, and wr should be priority in the draft. A stud DT, WA, and Greenard will automatically make your secondary better while we wait on the CB to develop.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Maybe we should be the Xavier team by adding Xavier Howard and Xavier McKinney to Xavier Hutchinson and see if Elon wants to sponsor team X.

18. conquistador#11

I want Nelson back. All I izz saying is wait to the last week of free agency. If he hasn't been picked up, make him the offer then.

UTSA2step and raining threes like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Looks who’s last….we need an upgrade!!!

But some people don’t want to invest much in the running game smh

And some people even still want motor as RB1 heading into next year smh

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member