1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

How fast do you need to accelerate brother?

Once you get to 60, join the rest of us...

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

come to papa.

Overall, the new Taycan will be more efficient than past models due to a variety of factors:

• A new advanced powertrain with a new rear-axle motor with up to 80kW more power than its predecessor on all models
    • A modified pulse inverter with optimized software
    • More powerful batteries
    • Revised thermal management
    • A next-generation heat pump
    • A modified recuperation and all-wheel drive strategy
    https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/6/24063359/porsche-taycan-refresh-ev-spec-photos-price

AroundTheWorld and ryan_98 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ryan_98 likes this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ford completely screwed up the rollout. They repeatedly said the truck would start in the upper $30ks but then only made the highest end trims available and now the lowest trim level starts at $50k. They also required a $10,000 set of options to get an extended battery on the XLT level, which was stupid because at that point, it was essentially the same price as the Lariat trim. When they first were announced, I was interested in an XLT with extended range for what I was told would be a little less than $60k, but that was a mirage. That truck with a basic tow package is around $75k today. They should have made the Pro and XLT trims the focus and put a lot of them on the road. They'll recover, but this was a self-own.

Also, trucks will need to get better at towing without having to charge up every 125 miles. That is legit range anxiety as opposed to most of the time that phrase is used.

6. Buck Turgidson

That's a great looking Mazda

RKREBORN, ryan_98 and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I assumed they would go, first, straight for fleet trucks/vans...but I guess they didn't?

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/12/24070558/gm-chevy-equinox-ev-price-range-trim-model-date

The Chevy Equinox EV will get 319 miles of range and start at around $35,000
    / With tax credits, that price could get as low as $27,495.

also GM..
    https://www.kbb.com/car-news/gm-to-add-50-subscription-services-by-2026/
    It seems like everything is becoming a monthly subscription service these days. There’s no reason to expect the trend to skip your driveway. General Motors plans dozens of new features available for a regular free.

“We have 50-some value-added products and services that we’ll be rolling out over the next 36 to 48 months,” Steve Carlisle, president of GM North America, told investors at a conference yesterday.

ryan_98 likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I am glad and surprised that Chevy is keeping their word on a $35k The $8,000 gap between the 1LT and 2LT trim is suspicious though. The 1LT would need to be VERY trimmed down for someone opt for the 2LT for that much money difference.

What could GM remove to make the 1LT not desirable? Obvious place to start would be 'nice to have' features like heated seats, dual zone HVAC, adaptive cruise, and LED headlights. Would they go as far as removing regular cruise control a la Ford Maverick? Tiny infotainment screen with terrible ugly bezels?

It could be more extreme by reducing battery cooling/warming capabilities to gimp its power output, DCFC charge speed, or preconditioning capability.

Alternatively they can go the Lightning Pro route by limiting production for 2024 MY then raise prices by a few grand for 2025 MY. It could also be a fleet only trim.

I hope that's not the case though!

#2730 jchu14, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    ryan_98 and Sajan like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Have faith in GM to screw it up!

ryan_98 likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I wonder how much of this (for Audi, not others) is due to the 2025 models being a new design? Taycan (same platform) is also driving the same issue I think.

I was close to buying an PHEV (after my Tesla S), but I just paid a big bill on my wife's range rover and almost all of it was for parts non existent in electric cars. So, I'm migrating back to EV - so to answer the original thread title - stupid repair bills on "luxury" gas vehicles...

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

LCID should be bankrupt soon.

RIVN taking a beating too.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

A new report from CleanTechnica, citing data from the California New Car Dealers Association, revealed the strong market share Tesla has in the state.

Here were the top-selling vehicles in California for 2023:

Tesla Model Y: 132,636 units

Tesla Model 3: 82,786 units

Toyota RAV4: 58,496 units

Toyota Camry: 51,330 units

Honda Civic: 42,564 units

Honda CR-V: 42,044 units

Honda Accord: 40,878 units

Ford F-Series: 40,507 units

Toyota Corolla: 38,196 units

Chevrolet Silverado: 36,821 units

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What does this mean to you?

My county has about a 3% take rate. There is usually at least a couple teslas at every busy intersection.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

live in the factory or die.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I test drove the 4S a while back (never driven a plaid admittedly), I really liked the acceleration of the taycan but what really sold me was the drive itself. Felt like a 911.

it sounds like you got the TurboS which should be close to the plaid??

honestly man it maybe the cross turrismo feel, I’m def a hater of hatchbacks but I wonder if the body shape alters the drive (I’m reaching I know)

I say this owning a ton of Tesla stock, I would never get a plaid over a taycan if I wanted that “sportsy” drive

19. Buck Turgidson

lol, yall have gone to plaid, huh?

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just got the car tonight.

It's really weird because the car is fine and all, but I didn't get a certificate of title. Can't reach the dealer anymore, but I would have thought the title document would be in the car. I do think I need it to prove ownership and register the car here in Florida and get Florida license plates.

Anyway, there are a few small scratches here and there (car is 2 years old, about 9k miles), but overall, beautiful car.

There was a California license plate in the trunk which I screwed on and drove around a bit (I'm in Florida). The car got shipped to me from California.

The acceleration is insane lol. I thought my Tesla Y Performance was already crazy quick, but this...damn. Crazy to think that the Tesla S Plaid is even quicker.

Well, now I need to figure out how to get that friggin' title document. I mean, it's an official Porsche Dealer and all, so hopefully there is nothing fishy there.

Sajan and LosPollosHermanos like this.