1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[HBO Max] True Detective: Night Country

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 12, 2023.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is spot on, the plot twist at the end was stupid.

TexasTofu and cwebbster like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I liked the 2nd to last episode better. Oh wells it was decent.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it started off promising but by episode 4 i started to think something was lacking and by the end im pissed that i wasted my time on this show. it was so poorly done that i feel insulted. boring and badly written. its like they didnt know where they were going with the story as they were writing it and just came up with the laziest ending possible.

that one scene where jodie foster goes off on navarro and threatens to kill her after she brings up her kid had the weirdest dialogue in the whole series. like it was written by a 12 year old.

and it seems like the hit from the fire extinguisher that navarro took would have killed most people, but she not only recovers in seconds, but is about to beat the dude to death before jodie foster intervenes. i didnt buy that at all.

i dont understand why they had to cover up the death of kenny powers brother. he had just murdered someone and was about to shoot jodie foster. pryce was justified in killing his dad...again, no need for the cover-up and all the risks that come with that.

overall, the series had too many boring and slow parts...but at least it was visually cool to watch.

there were more severed tongues and ice dongs than boobs though, which was another disappointment.

kubli9, mtbrays and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The show was awful. I didn't really find any of the characters believable except maybe the wife, and that's probably only because they mercifully didn't make much of an attempt to flesh her out

And the brooding...my god the brooding. This show had like 20 Bruce Waynes of all sexes, shapes, ages, races and sizes. That archetype was already halfway over the shark for me...now's it official.

The peripherals of the show were great. It had a cool setting, cool cinematography and the general feel of True Detective. The writers just weren't up to the task of filling in the details, whether it be plot, characters or dialogue.

cwebbster and kubli9 like this.
  5. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

What the **** was the serpent thing that was frozen in the ice when they looked up at the ceiling? Feels like they forgot they wrote that part in there.

My God this turned into a flaming pile of dog poo really quick. They really blew their load with Season 1.

B-Bob and Commodore like this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Also, everyone was either a loner or in some communal living arrangement. Intact families didn't exist. No one was happy.

Projection from the writers I imagine.

TexasTofu and cwebbster like this.
  7. Entropy

Entropy Member

So where does this season rank for you guys? Haven't watched it yet. I'm intrigued by Jodi Foster as a nympho, but the other things you guys are saying...

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

#3 I guess. I need to re-watch the second and third. Second season was a real slog.

TexasTofu and Entropy like this.
  9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree with someone else that for some reason I have trouble remembering details about season 3. I do remember that I thought it was really good and underrated.

Season 1 - 10/10
    Season 3 - 9/10
    Season 2 - 5/10
    Season 4 - 4/10

TexasTofu, Entropy and B-Bob like this.
  10. Xerobull

Oh good, TD season 5 green lit with Isla Lopez.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

So, the supervisor Jodie was sleeping with and the mine lady both got off with no consequences? No karma at all for those two?

12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm out. I'll binge it if reviews somehow suggest that the next season is good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Whale.

I liked it.

across110thstreet and Ziggy like this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked Season 4. I didn't love it. Maybe I was expecting too much because of the hype. It was solid. I don't feel like it was exemplary or ground breaking enough to rank as top tier. I'm still glad I watched it, but I didn't love it.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody ever leaves....lol.

17. Buck Turgidson

I hate the ****ing Eagles, man.

@daywalker02 vs....me?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Xerobull

The spirals and the ‘time is a flat circle’ were really bolted on to this series to ‘tie’ it to S1. I thought having Rust’s dad in there was a great nod. They could have done better with the spirals though.

Buck Turgidson likes this.