1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

You used Jalen…the stats say he is 41.1% overall, he is 30.7% from 3.He was 33.8% last year from 3 and 34.3% his first year. He was 42.6 % overall his 1st year, 41.7% his second year.

Jabari is 42.9 overall and 35.9 from 3. 42.9% overall (no good offensively) a figure Jalen hasn’t hit in 3 yrs. In Jalen’s 3 years, hehas hit 30.7 (this year),33.8% last year and 34.3% on 3’s. Jalen has not reached the overall % or 3 pt.% in any of his 3 yrs. that Bari has.He’s a caeer 41.8 overall and 33.1% on 3. It is what it is.

clos4life likes this.
  2. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

We disagree…when you are going 1 on 3 to the basket and Bari is sitting out there wide open frantically waiving his hands, you can give more shots.Maybe Jalen should take a few less

tycoonchip, cml750 and fattz like this.
  3. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

You mean the Robert Horry that played 4 yrs of college, came into the league at 23 and had a nice role player game...the guy that became "Big Shot Bob" in his mid to late 20's? Jabari has hit a couple of game enders already at 20, has better mid range game, less athleticism, but is already on par with what Horry brought as a 23/24 yr old. You're just being nostalgic if you think Bob was anything more...not to mention, Horry played sf, and rarely d'd up bigs, with Hakeem and Thorpe covering the paint. But yeah you "debunked" it, lmao

AuburnRocket, tycoonchip and topfive like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari does a lot of sitting out there on offense as you say. Schematics from the coaching staff, and Jabari himself, need to both get better at finding comfortable spots on the floor for him to take more good shots.

It does surprise me that they don’t do some more inverted two man game with Alperen and Jabari.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are right, Jabari is not likely to win 7 rings in this league.

6. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Horry wasn't "likely" to either...so what's your point?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is like asking 'What's the point in Sarcasm or humor....'

Imanimal and Rustyrig like this.
  8. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Fair enough, lol

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I give you that Horry is a limited player but coaches trusted his one or two skills that he had and he seemingly had good relationships with multiple coaches and players.

Bari could easily outplay him but likely would not sniff his success because he would not be playing on Contending teams only.

That is at least how I see it and it might bite me in my behind.

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That’s funny I said when he starts he averages 14.5 points per game….look at your link, as I was wrong as KMJ actually averaged 14.8 points per game as a starter.

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I think we all agree we’d be thrilled if Jabrari wins one ring. He no doubt has the skillset just not the mental toughness. Not sure that he will ever be a dawg offensively and someone we can rely on to put us on his back and takeover down the stretch of games. For the third pick in a strong draft that’s what you want (i.e., see Holmgran, Ivey, Blanchero).

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

You can't always get what you want, but Jabari might just be what we need.

Not every player on your roster can be a star. Smith is a true two-way player who is nearly a 7-footer. Maybe he is ultimately a roleplayer (probably, at this point), but that is fine. Teams need guys like that. Cam Johnson is getting paid $24M a year, Jaden McDaniels $27M. Should give you some idea of the value a guy like this has around the league even if he's not going to take over games on offense.

Imanimal likes this.
  13. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Honestly if Tari was healthy I’d start him over Jabari until Jabari can find his 3pt shot again. Tari has been a better 3pt shooter and a much better defender to this point. Our problem is shooting send him to the bench. I’d love to send Jalen to the bench too and start Cam for his shooting and efficient scoring overall as well.

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I agree with you and would be 100% fine with Jabrari as a role player. He is a good tall defender and would be fine as a backup. At this point in his career he should not be starting in my opinion. It’s a catch 22 because if he doesn’t start we are just too small with Sengun at center. Stone didn’t do a great job with the makeup of this team. Getting Adams will give them the leverage to play Sengun in the PF spot next year and bring Jabrari off the bench. Would be fun to try Tari at PF for the remainder of the season…..but again we have a size issue.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Just bench Green or trade the weak link and watch the team excel.
    Bari is doing what he can with absolutely no plays being ran for him. You can clearly see him hustle to get the ball. The Rockets would be dumb to bench one of their best outside threats, that can actually help space the floor.
    Ime has put a team first mentality and Jabari is 100% playing within those parameters. He's only 20 and getting better. Just needs to let that foot heal properly.
    If Sengun could also hit that 3 at a good clip, it def would give more room for Jabari to operate in the paint at times as well.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Shroopy2 likes this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

As bad as Silas was, he saw the same thing that Udoka sees and that is that Smith isn’t a good outside shooter and they are wisely not making plays for the guy. Trust me, if he were good like a Cam or Alpi or FVV then they’d be idiots not to be making plays for him. He is on the floor for his size/defense and not his disappointing 13 ppg offense and that is fine for now as our only other healthy options at PF are grandpa Green and Jock. As much as Jabrari’s shooting turns my stomach, I still would rather have him out there over Jock any day of the week.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

More context. The aim was to put in KJ's 1st & 2nd year with it, to have comparison with Jabari's 1st & 2nd year. Then see what a "3 year" range would like. It was only 10 more games to add to last year's 49 starts. Didnt think it'd skew the averages too much.

Imanimal said "Even KMJ averaged 14.5 points a game as a starter last year [link]" . I figured Imanimal just meant KMJ as an overall NBA starter, not only '23 KMJ. Cuz his whole point is that Jabari isnt even outscoring an undrafted player. But all I doing was confirming that the stat he mentioned is accurate

Dont forget the main takeaway that I AGREE WITH YOU haha. Those are 2 different players. Like the notorious Christian Wood was a 20-10 guy but still less effective than Jabari. Numbers is part of it. We've had enough Shane Battier, Chuck Hayes, Trevor Ariza, PJ Tucker over the years to know that, regardless of draft spot

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah all I was doing was verifying how that comment was correct. The "As a Starter" point was overlooked.

That said, I dont even agree with you of Jabari being on that much shaky ground. I just tell it straight & fair, even with disagreement. But yes Jabari is not Brandon Ingram offense. But he isnt James Wiseman, Dragan Bender useless either. He's still half a year younger than Amen Thompson. If Jabari is pulled for any reason other than injury, I'd be surprised.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

But he said as a starter last year, isn't splits for every time he has started? If you wanna talk context how about the big elephant in the room where Jabari is only getting 10 attempts a night?