1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Max] True Detective: Night Country

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 12, 2023.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What an incredibly dumb ending to the last episode. I am firmly hate-watching this for the conclusion now.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Show turned for me on ep5. Was expecting it to ramp up so much more.

Lots of parallels to S1 plot-wise.

Will watch conclusion. If there were several episodes left I’d probably just watch a YouTube breakdown.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

they farmed out the writing to a chick, and it shows

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I liked! If yall don't like it, stop torturing yourselves, lulz. Nothing better do with yalls lives? Grow up.

ALSO, Jody Foster LOWKEY has amazing comedic delivery. Very subtle. Should totally be on a show like Curb.

GRENDEL, ryan_98 and ths balla like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Larry Sanders Show.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Different from when she was in Silent of the Lambs and Nell.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Somewhat underwhelming. Best episode easily of the season in my opinion.

8. Xerobull

9. Commodore

writers of this season do not like men

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Overall I enjoyed it. Not quite a seven. Brilliant to have all the references to season one……which is the standard for all shows from any era from any production company.

ryan_98 likes this.
  11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, be careful playing with hate. It inevitably spills on others. I mean, the women in this show came out looking worse than the men. Batshit crazy all over.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How long have you been waiting to make this comment? Such a troll.

Commodore likes this.
  13. dobro1229

I thought it was solid given what's currently on the air given the gap we are in right now with quality shoes, and HBO essentially going away with the Discovery merger in favor of cheap HGTV type shows.

However it was not a perfect season of TV for sure, and the first season was much better. I think more than anything the middle of the season needed some action much like season 1 had with the undercover scene which was incredible. You cast a physical presence like Kali Reis, and I felt like you really didn't utilize her strength as much as they should have.

The season was very well written though even despite likely it being hurt by the writer strikes. Looking forward to them developing a 5th season. This is a genre and type of series that can keep going for a very long time, and each season offers the ability for a fresh story.

I like it. Hopefully HBO survives long enough to keep doing more.

ryan_98, peleincubus and Kim like this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally... an online take for men

Xerobull likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ohhhh your poor men

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

yawn

16. conquistador#11

F' it. I watched the first 4 episodes. I should just finish it.
    Like somebody on here or reddit said, the best sequel to True Detective is Sharp Objects with Amy Adams, the hot one.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The racism and inequality a 6 ft+ white man with bright blue eyes, thick hair, and BDE has to endure is absolutely disgusting.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. Commodore

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...etective-night-country-was-ironically-a-crime

So even with all the bullshit going on with the mine, the extrajudicial murders, the kids, the visions, the spiritual stuff and all that I STILL WANTED TO KNOW ONE THING. Why did those scientists go out on the ice??? Just give me a compelling reason and I would at least be reasonably happy. Lets just break down how they tested the suspension of our disbelief.

The first is the sort of "realization" of Tsalal. They reveal that these scientists were got the mine to up their pollution by a factor of 11x in order to make their digs into the permafrost easier. Yea that seems like something a corporation would do. Increase their pollutants by a comical and easily discoverable number because a group of their stooges told them to.

What are the scientist's digging for, you ask? Some sort of DNA that help humanity. How will it help? **** you, thats how. What type of DNA? That's on a need-to-know basis, buddy. Any details at all? How about you jump off a bridge, viewer! Whatever information is in that DNA, it's not important enough for you to know or for scientists to commit a brutal group murder over. Oh wait....

So Annie K's murder was obviously a big sticking point of this series. It turns out that Annie, a regular person, conducted a full-scale investigation within Tsalal without anybody in the facility ever noticing. Without accesses to anything, she discovered every bit of this corporate espionage (which must have had a an easily accessible, written paper trail with written out in laymans terms like all crimes do) and, despite being smart enough to figure all that out, is dumb enough to decide that the only recourse is to not tell anybody and destroy the research instead. Sure.

Then we have this group of academic nerds that all instinctually decide to join in on her group murder. They see a man stabbing a woman to death and, without even a moment's hesitation, they all immediately join in. Then all continue with their lives like nothing ever happened. Yup.

Then, we get to my favorite part. "Mop Team 6" as some are calling them. A group of janitors from the town launched their own investigation into what was going on. And, like Annie K, managed to do a full investigation into Tsalal from within the facility without anybody ever noticing. They were so good that they noticed even the most minute details (like the fact that a 1/4 inch drill bit in the basement matches the star shaped puncture wound on Annie). Like Annie, they were also able to find the written out paper trail left by the scientists and digest all the scientific data that must have been left in laymans terms. In addition, they also went through all the evidence of the murders from within the police department without anyone noticing. Because they don't trust the police, the janitors launch a full scale assault on the facility, covering every exit and forcing the Tsalal men onto the ice. Smart as this group of lethal operators/investigators are, they somehow never got a roster of who actually works there as they missed one of the scientists during the process. These warriors then managed to keep this completely secret from the entire town, investigators etc and would have gotten away with it if Danvers wasn't able to recognize one of their handprints with her naked eye. Right.

cwebbster, kubli9 and Xerobull like this.
  19. dobro1229

I like how the plot hole police folks are probably the same people who think The Dark Knight is basically a perfect movie.

You can find plot holes or questionable decisions in nearly every show or movie. The ones pointed out here are not as over the top stupid as the writer is making it out to be.

The way shows like this and many movies are made are essentially by reverse engineering the end conflicts with the chess pieces moved around in reverse to get things lined up.

Even the writer/creator for Breaking Bad (closest thing to a perfect show imo) spoke often about the creative process of painting yourself in a corner and reverse engineering the players back out of the corner. The reason it worked so well is because imo they had very few chess pieces and they all for the most part served Walter’s arc. In True Detective there will always be at least two central arcs and the mystery needs to be pronounced. Not an impossible show to write for but not the easiest with only 6 hours of screen time to make it happen.

You know who doesn’t write from the end in reverse? George RR Martin who writes in linear fashion in a branching effect…. And he cannot finish Song of Ice and Fire because of this. Too many branches and too many plots weaving out of control.

Commodore likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Disappointed overall, and my expectations were pretty low. Started to write a list then realized it would be massive. Tie-ins to S1 were cheap shoe-horned marketing 'fan service' and nothing of import. Will read up on S5 after it's over before I watch.

Entropy and kubli9 like this.