1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Insert Jarret Allen out there.

It's shame that Stone traded him for AIR.

cheke64, Imanimal and Crashlanded19 like this.
  2. HookemHorns1250

Yeah it’s crazy when people think that way. Obviously you want that high of a pick to be a multi time all star (which still, he’s -20-.). If he turns out to be a great defender with a reliable 3 and good on the boards… I will be thrilled.

roslolian likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

People need to chill. He's playing within the system and has definitely improved since last year. His decline started after the injury which I think was nuts that he came back twice so soon. Hopefully this long break will get him back where he needs to be. The game today is based on 3pt shooting. If he can continue to improve on that, which he has, he'll be more than just a role player. He'll be the guy you constantly want to kick the ball out to knock those shots.
    Hell klay thompson is practically just a "role player"

4. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Trust me when I tell you that Jabari wasn’t a 4th option at Auburn… he didn’t spend time camped on the wing begging for the ball to come to him. He had guards that could execute getting the ball to him and, he had Walker Kessler who loved a PNR with Bari… something absolutely he doesn’t have now.You know Sengun…last year’s worthless player.

The statement that he can’t rebound… wow, that is beyond laughable.REALLY.He can’t create a shot. Since he never gets the ball in this offense, how do you think he gets the points he does. Let me quote Calvin Murphy…he wasn’t getting the ball so, he said I’ll go inside and rebound and HELP the team that way.Let me tell you what this frail stick guy has not done… he refuses to spend time injured on the bench. Twice he has come back sooner than he should IMO. He rebounds well,plays defense well,shoots 2’s well… if he gets the 3 on track …WATCH IT.

5. AuburnRocket

Before then…may not be with the Rockets though.

6. AuburnRocket

Which is what Sengun has

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Says the dude who want to trade Jabari just cuz Rox lost out on Banchero lol.

AuburnRocket likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

We traded Allen for a first rounder. That's was the 2022 Milwaukee first rounder which became Tari Eason IIRC. The trade also weakened Nets since they lost both Jarrett Allen and Caris Levert who would have been contributors on their roster while making the Cavs stronger who is one of the teams Nets face in the East.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's not a shot blocking team to be fair but a good rebounding team.

He has the length to come from the weak side but he is not that athletic and explosive.

Sengün himself is a decent dunker but he is not fast or an athletic shot blocker.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hes not getting the attempts duh. He's like the fifth guy on offense priority.

Not sure why you are blaming Jabari. Even with the slump he is averaging 57% TS which is better than FVV, Green and Brooks but he gets 10 attempts a night which makes him the least among the starters.

KMJ never averaged 14 pts a night wtf are you even talking about? KMJ average 12 pts which is less than Jabari.

#110 roslolian, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  11. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Oh okay, I thought you meant back to back clutch playoff, elevating his game in the finals Horry

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No lies detected.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Defensively yes, offensively NO!!! I literally cringe every time I see him shoot anything but a dunk or bunny shot. He tenses up when wide open and takes too many ill advised covered shots that usually don’t go in. I have my issues with Amen with his bad outside shooting, but at least I’ve noticed he turns up his gameplay at the ends of close games, whereas all the deficiencies I’ve mentioned
    There’s a reason he doesn’t get the ball much and that is because Ime is a good coach and knows he can’t shoot the rock. Everything else you said was true and that’s why he gets 30+ minutes per game. He scores most his whopping 13 points closer range. He has talent and work ethic but can’t overcome his brain thinking too much, trying too hard, and nerves on the court (especially in tense situations). When he relaxes with no pressure like in the first quarter of games and summer league games, you can see the hope and talent. Some guys have the “clutch” gene that raises their game when needed and other guys don’t. Surprisingly, Amen Thompson has that special gene where he turns it up and seems only concerned about getting the “W” at the end of gamesand shows zero nerves. Now he’s another story with poor outside shooting but at least he doesn’t look scared at the ends of games and turns it up another level. Jabrari doesn’t have that “clutch” gene and you of all people should know it by his disappearing act in the NCAA tournament.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not the biggest fan.

Definitely potential, and even real high upside potential.... but it will take a long time, and that top potential case still isn't "star".

From a next 2-4 years perspective you can get much better from any vet... or more ideally, just play Tari in his spot.

Imanimal likes this.
  15. AuburnRocket

First off…. Respectfully, you don’t know what you are talking about on the NCAA TOURNAMENT. Miami’s GUARD PLAY was why Auburn lost the game.As a strong rule…GUARD PLAY dictates who is successful in the big dance.THEIR GUARDS were head and shoulders above ours…5th year players vs. 2nd & 3rd.

Bari didn’t seem too nervous when he hit that game-winning 3,did he? Yes, there is a reason Baridoesn’t get the ball much…we have a team of ball hogs who don’t SHARE the ball. 2 players who prefegoing 1on 3 when there are open players.

Amen…love the potential ! Talk about no outside shot…oh,and he can’t shoot FT for shat.But, still sticking with what I believe,he is young and raw…he will come around with EXPERIENCE.

Tari great potential but he’s spent nearly twice the time on the bench than he’s played.Gotta be in it to win it as they say.22 games so far. FVV great distributor but he’s not a good shooter overall. Brooks the great defensive talent hasn’t exactly overwhelmed as well.

And lastly, Alpy ….last year there was a lot of talk of what a waste he was. My how that tune has changed.LOL.

FINAL THING….I WANT you to answer. No one has. Give me the stat line that in your opinion Bari would need for you to consider him successful.

How many points in a game . How many shots should it take him to get those points ?How many rebounds per game? Defense …he has the 9th best ISO rating in the top 50…doesn’t meet your acceptance,so what more defensively.You can believe this… he’s going to need a helluva lot more shots to get to the ppg you want. 10 shots a night won’t get it.Finally, wwho has that “ clutch “ gene who is going who is going to calmly sink the game winner? I kmow oneon our team,who you got?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hopefully he can eek out another inch in height while gaining the proper weight to last in the paint.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

He was shooting 38% from 3 before his injury/slump. Ime was using him to guard the pfs like Giannis.

He is a lot more valuable than Tari.

What does it mean to be a star? Is JJJ a star? Dude just won DPOY and his play style and Jabari are pretty much copy and paste.

Most of the complaints here are on his low pt total but that's because he only gets 10 attempts a night. Why? I have no ****ing clue meanwhile Jalen bricking shots left and right gets 15 attempts a night. It's credit to Jabari's maturity he isn't raising a fuss that even Dillon Brooks getting more attempts than him

AuburnRocket and tycoonchip like this.
  18. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I can't understand why he's getting 10.7 shots per game to Jalen's 15.1 when he's a better shooter than Jalen. We should be posting him up more.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m good with Jabari. He’s improved a lot in my eyes, and I never question his effort.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

KMJ averaged 14.4 as a starter, in fairness

That still has little to do with Jabari. KMJ was in his 3rd year, Jabari still in 2nd year. KMJ needs certain teams to be effective. You can find room for Jabari on any team.