1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sandy Hook might have fit the profile. IIRC it was the parents' gun.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, he also killed his mom before the Sandy Hook attack so this approach would not have worked in that case.

3. basso

Supporting Member

the shooter(s) appear to have been teenagers. I'm assuming they did not purchase the weapons from a legal gun dealer (I could be wrong).

4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This will be buried shortly.

basso likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hey buddy, this doesn't sound like a happy camper to me

Republicans (this is you) got exactly the gun policy they wanted from our institutions , using their stranglehold on the courts in conjunction with the right wing lizard brain fear-industrial complex to create what is, at least in red states, an In Guns we trust society, that is slowly being imposed on the rest of us with every single ****ing Active Shooter training we put a kindergartener though and every time some nutjob legislator poses in front of the christmas tree with his kids holding an AR-15.

The scale of victory here for your side is pretty immense.

In terms of the legal regime during my adult lifetime, we went from an individual right to bear arms not even being mentioned as existing by any court ever, to it being a huge story being mentioned once in a GWB solicitor general brief footnote -> to it's eventual jurisogenesis in Heller in someserious Oceania at war with Eastasia I mean Eurasia ass ****. Of course this proposes you're the type of credulous dope who believed SCt does anything except for rack of victories for Team R. Nobody of course believes this any more.

The result of these legal victories, and more importantly the extremely profitable nutjob ONE NATION UNDER GUN commercial-religo-political culture in which they take place and have enabled, and now we have a society in which heavily armed people in giant ass road warrior trucks drive around and create a doom loop where this kind of armed mega rampage is the norm, my kids active shooter drill was disrupted by a Swatting, and all kinds of just insane **** that we have normalized and as a result more and more and more.

You personally have engaged in many really well thought out THOUGHT EXPERIMENTS like this:

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/question-for-gun-control-advocates.225037/ (TL/DR, classic "Just asking questions" bullshit).

To do your own small, small part.

Anyway, that's beside the point. The prolifieration of guns, now and forever, and the associated acts of horror that result in more guns, is very much a part of the right wing political project of which you are a small but obviously very strident and vocal, part, and one for which, you should, as a one who identifies as more moral than the rest of us individual, should be ashamed, at least by your own standards.

Mass shootings super bowl parade shootouts - which are absolutely related to the ease of access to firearms in any rational and empirical sense (correlation between guns and gun violence holding steady at *checks notes* 1.0) are the fruits of your hard fought victory.

Enjoy them....at least for my sake, friend.

Phillyrocket, mtbrays, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Got-dam beautiful deconstruction, sir.

[​IMG]

B-Bob and SamFisher like this.
  7. basso

Supporting Member

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What part of guns + shooting them is a bad mix do you object to?

Oh that's right, the entire premise which is why you've spent 20 sad, sad years telling us that this

[​IMG]
    Is totally fine*

And this - the easily foreseeable consequence of saturating the country with guns, to anybody who knows what a gun is

[​IMG]

Is also the very much fine, as are the active shooter drills and all the rest, because something something Chicago or Meth or mental health or illegal or whatever bullshit ****ery of the day it is from @Commodore @basso and the rest of your clan.

I would to tell you to "**** right off" too but no - please continue to read this, all of it.

*the monstrously huge number of guns in the US was caused by the near doubling of the amount of guns in the US in the 10+ years since the individual right to bear arms was invented in Heller - the opposite of the "guy who successfully argued his way down to a B in the freshman seminar" thought experiment that @basso very helpfully set up for us a decade ago.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

flood the country with guns, make them as easy as you possibly can for any person to obtain them, fight tooth and nail against any and all attempts at regulation or prevention or even research, pump money into organizations to lobby to do all the above and try to obfuscate and deflect blame for the results...and, well, this is the nightmare you helped to create that all of us have to suffer in.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So, the Super Bowl parade shooting that killed one mother and injured 22 others, including 11 children, is reportedly due to a personal dispute between juveniles.

These personal disputes used to be fistfights. Now, people just take out their guns and start shooting.

Andre0087, ROCKSS and deb4rockets like this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then you'll have morons blame those "blue" cities for the violence when those Red Republicans running the state make the loose gun laws that enable everyone in the state easy access to guns.

In 2023, Kansas City Police Department's daily homicide analysis showed 182 homicides, 12 more than took place in 2022 and three more than the previous all-time high in the city. Missouri has some of the loosest gun laws in the country.

Missouri began allowing gun owners to carry concealed weapons in 2003, requiring training and a permit issued by the county sheriff, however, in 2007, the law requiring a permit to buy a handgun was repealed, according to the Giffords Law Center.

After the permit law was repealed, there was an estimated 47.3% increase in firearm homicide.

No background check is required for Missouri residents to purchase a firearm and there is no ban on assault weapons, according to Missouri state law.

In Feb. 2023, Missouri's House voted against banning minors from openly carrying firearms without adult supervision in public. The proposal failed by a 104-39 vote.

"While it may be intuitive that a 14-year-old has no legitimate purpose, it doesn't actually mean that they're going to harm someone. We don't know that yet," Rep. Tony Lovasco said in response to the decision at the time.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/kansas-citys-homicide-rate-missouri-gun-laws-after/story?id=107271175

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also some of the worst mass shootings in this country have happened in not just red states but politically red parts of those states. To simply make this a red blue problem ignores this is a country wide problem.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. basso

Supporting Member

we are here, not ten years ago. what's your solution?

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no single or simple solution to stopping gun violence. It will take many steps and a long time. Simply doing nothing and just hoping and praying the problem away isn’t doing anything.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Definitely not loose gun laws. We need Federal enforced common sense gun laws.
    Make gun owners more responsible.

Anyone fighting against or not wanting strict background checks or red flag laws is recklessly allowing dangerous or mentally unstable people to purchase firearms legally. Why would perpetrators of domestic violence be allowed to legally own guns in some states? Why should kids be allowed to carry around firearms without adult supervision? Their brains aren't even fully developed. They don't possess the same critical thinking skills or ability to control emotions as adults. You provoke or piss off a kid with a gun and it's a toxic mix, just like provoking someone with mental issues, rage issues, or behavior issues. If daddy and momma want to take their child hunting, out in the country shooting targets, etc..., then I have no problem with that. What I find ridiculously irresponsible is for lawmakers and parents to allow a child to walk around with a gun unsupervised. To allow it in public places is the stupidest thing ever. That's a recipe for disaster.

My other beef is that I don't think guns like an AR-15 should ever be allowed to be carried around in public by civilians. Period! I don't even know why anyone would need one to protect their off the grid compound or home unless they have some fear of a small army attacking them. If so, then I'd question what dirty business they're up to or if they are just abnormally paranoid. If men and women want to walk around sporting guns that kill many quickly, maybe those types should join the army, marines, or special forces.

The NRA is the money bucket feeding politicians. You don't have to stop selling guns, but you should definitely make gun ownership strict. Annual licenses, just like people purchase to hunt, fish, or go to state parks. Make an initial written and practical test for everyone, with required safety class. The license should be annual, and suspended or revoked with common sense flags. Any charges of domestic violence, child abuse, diagnosis for mental disorders, including PTSD, depression, anxiety, or any other mental issues, charges for drugs, driving under the influence, violence, or any threats of violence on social media, online, or in person should be mandatory flags to temporarily suspend or revoke someone's license.

#3836 deb4rockets, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I just saw something where Missouri has basically stripped away all gun purchase regulations. I would be surprised if a teen couldn't buy a gun there.

Here it is. https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-in-missouri/

Federal law imposes stricter age restrictions in certain situations, however, in 2021, Missouri enacted the so-called “Second Amendment Preservation Act (SAPA)” which subjects local and state law enforcement officers to fines of $50,000 for helping to enforce a federal gun law.3 Accordingly, law enforcement in the state are no longer enforcing federal gun laws including laws that keep guns out of the minors and young adults. On March 7, 2023, a federal court declared SAPA unconstitutional but has allowed the law to stay in effect pending appeals.4

FrontRunner and Andre0087 like this.
  18. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The solution is gun control. Just like it was 10 years ago.

Phillyrocket and SamFisher like this.
  19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Honestly just model legislation based on Canadian gun policy.

1. Assault Weapons Ban
    2. One month waiting period after background check/license is approved
    3. Licensing/Background checks here are much more thorough than the US. They'll even interview friends and relatives as part of the background check. There are also two levels to the background check. Restricted firearms like handguns have a much higher standard than unrestricted weapons like hunting rifles.
    4. Mandatory safety courses (with restricted firearms requiring a much longer and more thorough safety course) as part of licensing (and license renewal)
    5. No Open/Concealed Carry
    6. Limits on the size of clips and limits on the amount of ammunition one can purchase

You can still own firearms here. Unrestricted weapons like hunting rifles or shotguns just require you to go through the background check process and safety course. Its just that restricted firearms like handguns have a much higher burden (and generally you'll get a license to use and store them at gun ranges and clubs) while "assault weapons" are flat out banned here.

The average homicide rate in Canada is 1/3 of the homicide rate in the US. And mass shootings flat out aren't a thing. Shootings are rare enough here to where they become a primary news story.

And the biggest thing is that I dont take my children to school and ever think about someone shooting up the school and I dont worry about guns at a public event like this parade about guns. You've all become so numb to this (as I was when I lived in the US).

ROCKSS and basso like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just posted the gun laws including this above.....

In Feb. 2023, Missouri's House voted against banning minors from openly carrying firearms without adult supervision in public. The proposal failed by a 104-39 vote.

"While it may be intuitive that a 14-year-old has no legitimate purpose, it doesn't actually mean that they're going to harm someone. We don't know that yet," Rep. Tony Lovasco said in response to the decision at the time.