1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. kpdark

kpdark Member

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Only exception being teams that still run a traditional drop coverage/dunker/low post center. But even that is becoming more and more rare.

But yeah, this is why I'm not that concerned about what ostensible position he plays. On defense, he can guard 1-4. On offense, he just needs the ball in his hands a lot.

If the idea is that you must have a traditional point guard who is an expert at ballhandling, I don't think that's where the league is anymore, and honestly hasn't been for a long time--even before pace-and-space we were seeing unconventional offenses running mostly through guys like LeBron or Kobe and the "point guard" would help bring up the ball sometimes, but would average low usage/assists, and his main job would be to stand at the three point line and hit open shots (Mario Chalmers, Derek Fisher, etc).

Anyway, I don't think we can write off Amen's ballhandling capabilities. He had one nice play tonight where he dribbled through the paint and found the open man, Steve Nash style. I keep saying this again and again, but his ballhandling is more inconsistent than it is bad right now. He has good plays and he has terrible ones. Let's wait a few years to see if the consistency tightens up and he adds a little more to his bag.

carl_herrera, A_3PO and roslolian like this.
  3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

As a PG Amen would be an outlier. 6-7 tall while having elite quickness and athleticism. As a SF he would just be a bit above average.

Now that alone doesnt mean, that he should stay a PG - if he can't handle the work of a PG, he shouldn't be one. But what exactly is the work of a PG in todays game? Bringing the ball up? He can do that fine. Setting up an offense - he still needs to develop a better feel for the game, but I am sure he can do that. Guard the opposing teams PG? He can do that, no matter if its a small ultraquick guy or a lengthy strong guy. Driving in the paint and dishing the ball to an open teammate? He can do that.

Amens greatest skills are his athleticism and his passing. Having him on the field as your PG gives the other team headaches. It also gives your team a clear rebounding advantage. I highly advocate to try to make him work as PG, because the benefits of that would be huge. And his lack of shot would be just as bad as a SF...

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His size is insane and the skillset is versatile.

roslolian likes this.
  5. plegus

plegus Member

Ah man, he is a joy to watch. He has everything I personally expect to see in a basketball player. Gonna be a star regardless of his shooting. I can’t wait to see what he eventually becomes.

Y2JT and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bonus 1: He sounds smart in interviews.

Bonus 2: He and Alpi are developing amazing chemistry. They each had a "wow!" kind of pass to each other.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His contest of the Brunson layup attempt at about the 2:20 mark in the 4th was beautiful. He read it the whole way.

Y2JT, comrade and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1. Pretty obvious he is a PG.
    2. Pretty obvious he is a transcendent prospect. He won’t need to shoot the 3 to become a star. I hope he learns bit it won’t be necessary. If this is the case though, he will need more minutes surrounded by 3-4 elite shooter.
    3. I want him on ball defensively often BUT he is killing it when he is off ball and playing “free safety”.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think you're leaving out a key part of the calculation here. You don't choose your defender. They're going to put someone his size on him, no matter which position we nominally start him.

The big difference is on defense, but that evens out. He can be bigger than your PG or faster than your SF. I think he's good at any of those positions, but it's at PG where we can hide his 3pt shooting more easily since he can run PnR's with the ball in his hands.

glynch likes this.
  10. Holybats

Holybats Member

He will be fantastic all around PG. He has a chance to become modern Magic.

Hemingway likes this.
  11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He needs to improve his handles, he has the feel

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's time to trade FVV for several first round picks.

T for 3 likes this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

For those of us who still enjoy and appreciate elite defense........ holy s***. Second best defensive prospect since Dream (Rockets). And it's not even close.

Hemingway likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's actually not a bad idea. That would free up money to sign who we need to make us better at the trade deadline next year, and Amen could develop his skills all year as starter. Then, we can use those picks in the trade or draft to get us another young stud.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

amen is not ready to be a full time starter

Little Bit and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

Man if this guy could just fix his shooting issues he would be unstoppable. He is very good.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with what you're saying and if we can keep them all, a back court of him, Green, Cam and Tari will be aweso.e moving forward

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I realize that, but I'm talking next year. Let him continue getting backup minutes this year, and develop next year as a starter. It's not like it will be the difference in us winning a Championship. The difference will come with the continued development with our young guys, and the addition of another really good 3 PT shooter who can play PG or SG, and another big defensive stud.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FVV & his contract need to go out with picks for a star in the offseason. Maaaybe as late as next year's deadline.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He should start by the deadline next year and should be getting close to 30 mins a game the rest of this year. FVV was a stopgap and has been useful in changing the culture. Nobody is going to give us 2 FRP’s for him, but he could be useful in a trade when his contract is expiring. In a little over 30 games, Amen is outplaying Jabari in most aspects of the game and I am super high on Jabari. Our future is vey bright.

BaselineFade and deb4rockets like this.