1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LVIII

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Who Wins Super Bowl LVIII?

1. Chiefs

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. 49ers

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Because it allows for the QB to extend plays or run for necessary yardage.

Can you elaborate on how Mahomes was the reason for their offensive struggles last night?

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He left clean pockets early several times last night. He isn't a guy that will sit in a pocket and go through reads like Brady. He is usually looking for a schemed 1/2 and leaving. I think he is very much aided by Andy Reid, but it ultimately doesn't matter. They still are winning so its just some random guy from Houston's opinion.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Looking great.
    Didn't realize she was 43...

When she sang My Boo ..that was in 2004!
    geez. 20 years did nothing to her!

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He got better later in his career. Mahomes will too. It's silly to act like he won't, as well has he's played these past 6 years.

He is. He's a tier above most in his young career, unlike Deshaun, who Reid was smart to pass over for Mahomes.

First 6 year stats as starters for Mahomes and Brady tells me Mahomes is on a great path.

Yards: Mahomes 28,140 Brady 21,558
    TD/INT: Mahomes 219/63 Brady 147/78
    RTG: Mahomes 103.9 Brady 88.4

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Brady literally went to a different team on the geriatric side of his career and won

mahomes is getting close but Brady still the goat

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Also as many people noted…you can’t ****ing assault your head coach…on national tv…at the Super Bowl.

it’s a piece of **** move

solid likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

did the 9ers and ravens realize this? Yes Have they been doing it all year and then suddenly stop doing it facing the chiefs? Also yes

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What's the debate? Most ego? Biggest jerk? Ate the most pancakes in one sitting?

Certainly Kobe isn't in the GOAT convo for any seasoned basketball fan.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is total bullshit. **** the NFL refs.

10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Interesting article:
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/...ck-overtime-decision-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl

Key excerpt:
    Patrick Mahomes and Fred Warner met at the NFL shield at the 50-yard line of Allegiant Stadium for the overtime coin toss of Super Bowl LVIII knowing exactly what they were each supposed to elect if their team won the toss. The two captains had very different instructions from their respective head coaches—the Niners wanted their offense to have the ball first; the Chiefs wanted to kick and play defense to begin overtime.

Both coaches got their wish;.....

Defensive lineman Chris Jones told me players were prepared for what to expect if the Super Bowl went to overtime.

“We talked through this for two weeks,” Jones said. “How we was going to give the ball to the opponent; if they scored, we was going for two at the end of the game. We rehearsed it.”

Reid might very well have a good point which is why I like this new OT rule so much. No longer is receiving the ball first the no-brainer it used to be. In the past, you could win with an opening possession TD without ever giving the other team a chance to tie, so no-brainer especially if both teams are stronger on offense than defense.

It's actually fair to both sides because there are pluses and minuses to both choices. Receiving the ball first give you first possession advantage and potential third possession advantage if you fail to stop the opponent on second possession (which makes third possession becomes sudden-death and you can then win with just a FG). This was Shanahan's thinking. But getting ball on second possession allows you to win on a TD+2 even if the opposing team score first with a TD+1. Which is why I think if you receive the ball first and score a TD, you ALWAYS go for 2, thus preventing the other team from scoring a TD+2 to win.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The worst reffing of the night was a couple of badly missed holds on KC and the botched grounding call on Mahomes. Pretty even all things considered.

12. Damion Laverne

Interesting strategy for winning the toss in OT:
    - Defer: be aggressive on defense; if you give up a touchdown, you're automatically in four-down territory; score and go for 2
    - Receive: need a FG to put real pressure on the opposing team (could possibly bait them into being too aggressive); if both teams get a FG, you have the advantage in a sudden death scenario

I would still lean towards deferring

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. PhiSlammaJamma

The sad part is that the Chiefs offense is staggering. And they still won. They are beatable. But all they need to do to become a super team again is for one good WR to portal over on the cheap, which is very plausible, and they will be an unbeatable powerhouse once again.

solid likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping the Texans will be their biggest playoff threat in the future.

16. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

*gets the popcorn*

J.R. likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Agree that they finally got OT rules right. The fact that there's no "right answer" is awesome - first time in NFL history that's been the case.

In terms of going for 2, I don't think it's clear cut for the 1st team. 2nd team - absolutely, because of the sudden death issue. But for the first team, kicking the XP gives your defense an extra shot at a win. So it really would depend on how good you think your best 2pt play is, how good the opposing defense is, how good you think the opponent's best 2pt play is, and how good your defense is.

If you think your probability of stopping their 2 pt play is better than your probability of making your own, you simply kick the XP. if you're the 2000 Ravens and have Trent Dilfer at QB + a historically dominant defense, for example, just take the XP.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think there is much "lean" to it. You gotta defer unless there are a particular set of circumstances.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Not sure this much thought went into it but I'd say the circumstances called for the 49ers receiving. You can't give Mahomes 2 out of the first 3 possessions in OT with the 3rd being sudden death. Add that the Chiefs FG kicker set the record for longest Super Bowl FG twice that night. Mahomes only has to get to around the 40 on that 3rd possession for a game winning FG attempt.

We have a one game sample size under these new rules. Had the 49ers held the Chiefs to a FG and then won on the 3rd possession, the majority would be saying you always receive to start OT. Since the receiving team lost, it's being questioned a lot.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think Kyle Shanahan is being unfairly treated. The Chiefs were the team that won the game that decided on them changing the rules. They were the best equipped to know about the rule change. This happens nearly every time they make a rule change.

Planning on a 3rd possession is a very valid reason to get the ball first. The only reason I wouldn't is what Mahomes said. They were going for 2, and so a 3rd possession isn't guaranteed even if you score (no way you should go for 2 if you score first).