1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Damn, Caserio.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 18, 2023.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What if the Panthers picked Stroud? Ppl only wanna use what if when it justifies their original reactions..

david_rocket, ROCKSS and Sooty like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve always found him to be pretty strange

3. Buck Turgidson

Beaker

ROCKSS and mikol13 like this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMG_0027.gif
    Even more so in that weird video.

5. Buck Turgidson

Mee Meep? Mee...Mee

Meeeep?

6. Buck Turgidson

7. FEDEXROCKETS13

Enn tonight I don't see Chris Jones leaving kc with out trying to 3 peat he might take the franchise tag (if he's eligible) it's going to take an unprecedented deal to get him away from the cheifs at least this coming year then if they don't repeat he'll chase the contract he wants

8. Qan

Qan Member

I don't think so. He's 29 yrs old (about to hit 30 before next season) and have won b2b championship, he's going to aim for that bag.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He won 3 rings already.

Players like Jones who just led a historically great defense don't think like that.

There mind is, I want to get a bag. And if I leave, and they don't win another one then I AM THE REASON we won.

Thats how the big dawgs think.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In April 2023, trading away *that* much draft capital was a gigantic risk. And given where the Texans were at the time, viewing it as a potentially cataclysmic mistake is very reasonable. Nobody - not Stroud, not DeMeco, not Caserio - knew Stroud was going to be *that* good.

And that's the point; it took an unprecedented rookie season from Stroud to re-contextualize the trade. Virtually any other outcome - or, more specifically, a more typical outcome (the vast majority of even good rookie QBs struggle), and we're seeing it much differently.

raining threes likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, but you can say that about any trade or move after the fact..
    What if David Johnson went off for 1600 yards and 14 TDs and Ross Blacklock became the next Chris Jones… then it would have been a great trade.

12. Hey Now!

Yeah, sure - except, using your example, the what if would be, “What if CJ Stroud had the greatest rookie QB season of all-time?” Which is exactly what he did! We’re not what if’ing a wild-ass improbability like David Johnson rushing for 1600 yards. We’re saying if Stroud had just been… a normal rookie QB, this trade is viewed differently.

And in April ‘23, expecting Stroud to be “a normal rookie QB” seemed like a pretty safe bet.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That’s fair. It just seems unnecessary to justify your incorrect assumption that it was a bad trade. Instead of saying “we’ll no one expected that” maybe just say “I’m gonna just trust caserio and Demeco because they obviously know more than me”

I said right after the trade that:
    “It was good because Demeco got his guy, he wanted WAJ, who was a consensus 1st overall pick for 2 straight years”
    “Trading our own pick meant we could tell our new coach to do everything he could to win. Thus establishing a winning culture”

So you can say everyone didn’t expect it, so it was ok to be mad about it at the time, but the truth is, you are taking away from the people that were happy with the trade and are getting rewarded.

cbass, Wattafan and raining threes like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Why is this a contest?... Right. Wrong. Who cares? I mean, congrats on guessing correctly, I guess?

I'm taking away from what, now? Really? Rationally discussing a trade and my evolving relationship with it is ruining your enjoyment of the trade??? I don't know how to respond to that. Aren't we all being rewarded?...

Not to mention, I've said this dozens of times: I, like you, was thrilled they found a way to land Anderson and it made draft night incredibly exciting. I love the guy and I'm happy he's on the team. But all of that joy came at a very high price. There's absolutely no harm is discussing that, especially now that there are more tangible results to consider.

15. raining threes

This is a fair post.

Ryans/Caserio were very fortunate that things have worked out.

I was for the trade after they took Stroud although I wanted Carter. I'm very happy things turned out the way they did.

houstonstime likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Buck Turgidson

It's also OK for all yall to stop talking about it.

18. Hey Now!

Where's the fun in that???

Wattafan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

What??? is this a contest?

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

just channeling the same energy

upload_2024-2-15_9-40-11.jpeg