1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Playoff failures? LOL

We have been the most successful playoff franchise in baseball since what, probably the Yankees of the 50's

What would lead to failure would be giving out a horrendous contract to one of the guys left out there just so we could move up from the 5th highest payroll in baseball into the top 2-3 to please a small segment of the fan base lol

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, remain overconfident if you want, but I'd rather be safe than have regrets.

3. The Beard

The list of teams who will be in on Bregman isn't very long, which is what will work against him getting over 300 Million. He is way better and will get way more than what most on this board think he will. But the RSN stuff has taken a few teams who have spent big and made them rethink things, and just taking a few teams out of the mix can really affect the number cause these guys need a bit of a bidding war

You can take out these teams because of the money
    Tampa
    Minnesota
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    KC
    CWS
    Seattle
    Oakland
    Miami
    Washington
    Milwaukee
    Pittsburgh
    Colorado

Then you can take out these teams cause they in no way are in need of a 3B
    Baltimore
    Boston
    Texas
    Atlanta
    Philly
    NYM
    Cincy
    Chicago
    St. Louis
    SD

So that leaves Toronto, NYY, LAA, LAD, Arizona and SF as our competitors for him

Now I know players almost always are willing to just take the biggest offer and go with it. Alex is a bit of a different dude though, i'd be really surprised if he told Boras to make a deal with NYY or LAD. I also listed LAA as a potential candidate, but with the ownership tinkering with selling and already having a huge contract at 3B (even though it's an AWFUL one) I doubt they get into it

Toronto, Arizona and SF will likely be the 3 teams legitimately in on Alex

So IF we are willing to go, say 7 years and 210 Million, will any of those 3 offer enough over that to make him walk?

Arizona has a club option on Suarez and unless he has a huge year, I would guess they will be the ones to offer something larger and make Alex make a decision. If we win it all this year, maybe, hopefully, that will be enough to make Alex say 210 is plenty, let's Fkn go!

dholi_1, cmlmel77 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  4. The Beard

I would love to hear who this "Safe" player you want to offer a contract to? Who is the guy who is safe and clearly makes us better?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There are several plus bats that are still available, what I've advocated is seeing if one of them could be signed to a large one year contract, be it Soler, Martinez, or Bellinger. It's clear less than 2 weeks away from spring training they didn't find the offers in FA they wanted, so see if they would sign a large one year deal to chase a ring and see if they can get a better offer next offseason coming off that championship run which would give them more visibility possibly leading to better offers.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm not saying they did anything against the CBA or rules of baseball, but whether it was ethical is a complete different and reasonable debate.

I think the keeping him in the minors after everyone knowing that he would be in the bigs if he had signed the deal was the issue.

7. The Beard

You can definitely scratch Bellinger off of the one year list, he hasn't received what he wants but he has had multi-year offers already

The Martinez thing is just crazy to me. There is more to the game than simply hitting. He is a major liability in the field AND LF is the only option if he were to play the field again. That is also the only option for Yordan. Yordan has a history of lower extremity injuries already, so like the earlier post saying JD could DH for 100 games that would be a killer for Yordan. It simply doesn't add up

Soler is another guy with similar defensive issues, a history of injuries, and inconsistency. Great last year, but sub 700 OPS year before while missing over half the year. He also is a guy who rips LHP which isn't where our need is. We have plenty of guys who do that. Hell as much as you seem to hate Meyers, he is an 800 OPS guy vs LHP. If we were going to take on a defensive liability and force Yordan onto the field more and risk injuries there, it better be for someone who rips RHP

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. The Beard

If that was what the rules were, and what the MLBPA agreed to, how is it unethical?

Springer didn't like it, no doubt about that. But giving players more money just because you don't think the rules that were agreed to are fair certainly isn't a smart business plan

Astrofan59 likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure there's more to the game than just hitting, but my concern is that while everyone expects every player to be awesome next season, what if the optimistic scenario doesn't play out? What if we end up with Pena, Abreu, and Meyers in the lineup consistently all at or below .700 OPS? Then you run into a LOT of games where the team simply doesn't have enough firepower to score enough runs to win games.

You can go on and on about how great the defense would be, but at the end of the day, if you can't score, you can't win.

I guess in the end, I don't think Yordan is quite as fragile as you seem to, and I tend to think that SIGNIFICANTLY better hitters make up for defensive lapses in the long run. I don't want the Astros to end up with an Adam Everett, Brad Ausmus, pitcher slot type scenario at the end of their lineup and IMO there's a valid chance that could happen unless the team adds a bat.

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m probably being way too optimistic, but I have a feeling that a deal will get done with Bregman. I believe he wants to be here, and he has gone on record that he would like to spend his career playing with Altuve. The hang up will be the years.

At the end of the day, both sides will have to play ball. Altuve wanted to make it happen. I have no clue what other teams need a 3B come next season, but I consider Bregman as one of the cornerstones.

The Beard likes this.
  11. The Beard

You might have missed it, but the pitcher don't hit anymore

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I'm sorry, was that over your head?

I was saying that I don't want 3 terrible hitters at the end of the lineup similar to what the team had once upon a time.

I'll make sure to spell things out for you in as simple terms as possible in the future.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t know that you can scratch rattle off the won’t spend money list- they have a market that has underperformed because their team has been awful but like Houston- they could act like the smallest big money team out there or the biggest small money team out there- I could see them carrying a 225-250 million payroll if the club is good enough and it excites the fanbase. Thats a pretty passionate group up there and they have big corporate money to take down suites and the like if it becomes a thing to do. Thats a minor quibble for an otherwise outstanding post.
    I would expect Bregman to maybe sign with San Francisco or Arizona- and my money is actually on Arizona. He just bought a house there- he’s from NM. That’s a great yard for hitters and he probably wants to become a HOF guy (our recent breathing orange fire podcast when we talked HoF2 we had him at about 25% chance- his numbers are all good enough right now- he just needs to be this productive until 35 or so and then playable for another 3 or 4 years) and AZ helps that more than SF. he’s not taking a 5 year deal which still seems to be Cranes FA line in the sand (yordans 6 doesn’t count because there were some arbitration years in there) and absent that I can’t see anything happening to get done with us, but I can wait and see and hope like all the rest.

The Beard likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I want Yordan to learn 1B and play at 1B more.

His knees buckled at the warning track. Almost Yordan Alvarez was out for the season, he was lucky. Yordan missed a month after that.

15. Amadeus Rooster

He is the straw that stirs the 2024 Astros drink. He is beast mode and that contract year is gonna be historic.

Gooooo!

Radricky and The Beard like this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's pretty naive to think Bregman won't have a 10 yr offer from somebody.

2023:
    Yamamoto 12 yrs
    Ohtani 10 yrs
    So far

Machado 11 yrs
    Devers 11 yrs
    Bogaerts 11 yrs
    Turner 11 yrs

Lindor 10 yrs
    Seager 10 yrs

Betts 12 yrs
    Trout 10 yrs

Harper 13 yrs
    Machado 10 yrs

Bregman is in top top 8 all time in post season Runs, HR, and RBI and has a career .790 OPS in the postseason.

Has Averaged 5.9 bWAR per 162 games and is coming off the 3rd best season of his career.

No chance he isn't offered 10 yrs by someone.

17. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I wouldn't say significantly better. Chapman has more power and is a much better baserunner. Their walk rate's are closer, though Bregman is better.
    In the last 3 years, Bregman has 11.9 WAR, Chapman has 11.8.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's hopium in here. The market makes it pretty clear that if he has a solid season he will get close to 300 million and in the 10 year range.

He has the rings. He wants the money for his family and his horse operation.

Nook likes this.
  19. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Hardly. Try the 2000 Yankees. The 10s Giants. Or to a small extent the 90 Braves.

20. Radricky

Radricky Member