1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 23-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 8, 2024.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Stone showing discretion is a good thing to see. No trade is much better than bad one. He unloaded the lower part of the roster at the beginning of the season. All rookie deals but he can cut losses because he writes team friendly contracts. His contracts have more value than the player a lot of the time. Stone has been more lucky than good; luck usually only happens to people that work harder than most.

Williamson likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Made it up into existence

lakersuck2 likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barring some miraculous run of games by Jalen down the stretch, I have convinced myself that the play this offseason should be to trade him to Atlanta for Dejounte Murray. The contract is reasonable and lasts several more years, so we can get some more consistent production from that position. I think it's a move that makes sense for both teams. Package Jalen and Jock, then use the BKN pick to draft Kyle Filipowski from Duke.

BigShasta, fattz and Aruba77 like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t know about Filipowski, but I do think trading Jalen for Murray would be great for us, both in the near and long term. We need another combo guard who can shoot and defend; Murray fits the bill. Hey, maybe we wouldn’t even have to play Fred among the most minutes in the nba ;). I see Murray with his contract having more value than Jalen Green.

9-man rotation:
    Sengun/Adams
    Jabari/Tari
    Brooks/Tari/Cam
    Murray/Cam
    Fred/Murray/Amen

Add another shooter and that’s a team that can win.

5. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Biyombo to OKC lol.

Stone is a trash GM

DaDakota and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why would Atlanta want Jalen when they have Jalen Johnson on their team and Trae Young is basically a Jalen Green on little steroids.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Stone might be

But in what universe does Biyombo choose to come to Hou over OKC right now?

Corrosion and Joe Joe like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I just think if Murray was that impactful, Atlanta would have a better record, bad fit with Trae or not. He's also another of those guys who's already at his peak, will probably never get better than he is now and will be too old by the time our young guys are in their prime years.

Bo6 and Jags like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can we still trade Jalen?

Asking for a concerned Rocket's fan.

DD

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bismarck Thunyombo.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One where he gets to play?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He'll play in OKC alright, they made a 3 for 1 player trade....so they still have one spot open.....

Hayward is not going to play tons of minutes.

They just converted a 2 way contract player to a normal player to fill some of the void.

He'd play more in Houston but that Playoff spot is not guaranteed at all.

14. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I still trust in Jalen’s development. If he’s not successful next year, we can still trade them later. I would use the Nets’ pick on a shooter like Reed Sheppard. This is a nice rotation:

Vanvleet-Amen
    Jalen-Sheppard
    Whitmore-Brooks
    Jabari-Eason
    Sengun-Steve Adams

If a good player becomes available via trade, we can still use the salaries of Landale-Jeff Green- Tate, or even Jalen if a star becomes available.

Also, we have a nice chance of getting a top 4 pick (currently about 40%), so we might get Risacher or Sarr…

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Who's Jan?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have a Brady hunch.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

oh lol... you're gonna have to explain the reference to me I guess, I'm not that old.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't make any sense for our offense, we need either a shooter or someone elite at getting to the rim. He's none of those things. We will end up trading him for the exact same reason ATL is trading him: his defense is good but he will not be good off ball and you can't take the ball out of FVV/Trae/Sengun's hands and give it to Murray.

Also if Cam continues to play this way the rest of the season at age 19, it would be absolutely ridiculous to not give him a shot to start in his sophomore season. Let's not create the need for churning assets. Let's get a good fit for Sengun and whoever else is popping. Cam is a great fit. If we're acquiring someone, they should fit with the core and be a significant upgrade on what Cam can reasonably promise to deliver.

Now if you told me we should trade FVV for Murray (would have to be 3-way trade), I'm on board with that. FVV is clearly better but in his early 30's already and I do not want to extend him at this $40m price tag after his second season. Udoka is going to shorten his career with these minutes also. Murray would be a good PG next to Cam or an improved Green and he can totally run the offense if Sengun can shoulder half the load or more. Murray loves Pop and played for the Spurs, so perhaps he'll acclimate to Udoka's system nicely. That's a risky move though, FVV has been mostly great for us and we could keep him an extra year. I bet if we sent FVV to the Lakers or something, we would get decent vets and a pick or two that would be plenty for acquiring Murray.

theDude and kspires999 like this.