1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes--but only if he accepted a role as 6th man. Players like Lavine really need to come off the bench and contend for 6th man of the year. Paying them the max and letting them start is a bad idea.

He could still become better than Lavine though, that's not outside the realm of possibility.

theDude likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all are underselling Lavine I think. Yes he's not the number one option on a good team, but he's been a nice, top 30 guy for several years now.

joshuaao likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I mean, he's out for the year, so there's not much to sell.

joshuaao, Corrosion and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Oh sure, I meant as an overall player. I obvi don't want to trade for him at this point.

6. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Not a Rockets fan me thinks.

hlmbasketball and matchesmalone like this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Top 30, but has talent. Getting more smarts as the years progress.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uncle Jeff & Reg - Grant Willliams. To me this is a no-brainer Win - Win.

Tate & Jock - Buddy Buckets

AH. - Svi and cut + 2 2s. Jrue wants to play with his brothers; Cs want to te-sign long-time Jrue.

If the Future star were traded:
    Jalen, Jock - Murray, Griffin

That is how I believe the week will play out.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he can’t be the #1 guy on a team, how can he be top 30? ;)
    I don't know if it’s really underselling LaVine when comparing Green to him. LaVine is an overpaid player. I think most of us anticipated/expected Green to be the #1 option, and so far, he has not lived up. My fear is giving Green a contract that has us hamstrung. If Green were a clear-cut #1, wouldn’t blink at giving him a contract like LaVine has.

11. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Keegan Murray?

12. invocux

invocux Member

Can we get Monk?

13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't think it's a good outcome because of how high his ceiling could have been but I'd be happy enough to keep him around if that's what he ended up becoming. When all these guys hit their prime, we still need someone to score. Jalen is already clearly being emphasized less now so if he is able to accept a more supporting role in the future he'd still be a very important member of the team.

14. R=$

R=$ Member

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yuck

ArtV, BigMaloe, saleem and 4 others like this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't know if you have to be a true #1 to be worth paying the max--teams can have two max players and still assemble a roster after all--but I still think LaVine is overpaid in the sense of roster construction/salary cap management.

The way I look at it is, if you're a pure scorer like LaVine or like Jalen and don't bring anything else above average to the table (playmaking, defense, rebounding) you need to be truly elite at scoring to be worthy of a max salary slot on a team. Not just really good, but like one of the 3 to 5 best scorers in the NBA.

So a guy like Lauri, even though realistically he's the #2 option on a true contender, is worthy of the max, because he is a very good rebounder in addition to being a very good, efficient scorer. LaVine might have been good enough to be the #2 option during his peak years (I don't know if he is anymore since he's already showing signs of decline), but he didn't/doesn't bring anything else above average to the table.

17. TheBeastSystem

we're not getting guys that don't defend in a team concept

18. Landry's Tooth

Honestly, I wonder if addition by subtraction. I don't see any available superstar wings to trade for.

I think Brooks at the 2 and either Tari or Cam at the 3 is a defensive upgrade. If we could convert Jalen into an unprotected pick for 3 or 4 years from now I wouldn't mind.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Ha, good point. I guess I'm trying to say he shouldn't be a #1 option or your team probably isn't very good. Regarding Green, I potentially see him getting a contract extension similar to Devin Vassell (which isn't THAT bad under a $150 mil cap) as he is having a third year similar to him. Definitely not a max and not as much as LaVine.

theDude and OremLK like this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Jeff Green
    Jock Landale
    2024 Nets top 1 protected pick
    2025 top 1 protected pick

For Mikal Bridges

I know, they won't take it. We got ALL the leverage here. Let's not forget that. Which team will give them two top 6 picks (they can control it) for Mikal? If they think a team is willing to trade for Jeff Green then they agree and keep trying to add to the agreed upon trade prior to the deadline tomorrow. Involve a 3rd team. Rockets probably have a good sense of teams interested by now.

Let Jalen Green go into RFA and let the market determine his contract value. If a team gives him the max then there's probably some existing trade value still left (if we decide to match) if not then it's not a problem.

They won't take it but that's as far as I'll go by tomorrow. If Nets think spiraling downwards without anything to show for it in the future is better than having 2 consecutive top picks then tell them to have fun.

#1460 xaos, Feb 6, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    theDude and MadMax94$ like this.