1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Next Week) London+Rome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3422, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Looking for any recommendations in London and Rome in regards to activities and specifically food.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its been years but Tower of London was a unique and interesting museum. Overall, I didnt like London much and thought much of it was forgettable.

Never been to Rome, but heard its very walkable and plenty to do there.

3. Buck Turgidson

The British Museum is pretty epic if you're into that sort of thing.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Paddington is a nice place to visit, walking along the Thames, London-eye, and the Shakespeare theater is cool too.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If'n you like modern art, the New Tate in London is pretty great. Loved that place.

To my unstudied eye, I liked the deep history and archeology part of Rome versus other aspects (waiting in line for museums, meh, dodging
    crazy cars).

I guess I'd say: see if you can have this trip without renting a car. :D

mikol13 likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was Rome recently. I’ll recommend Roscioli it was excellent. My son and I had a ton of different things and all excellent.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I looked it up because of the name had a restaurant to (that is apparently owned by the same people) this is a bakery though.

Via dei Chiavari 19, 00186 Rome, Italy

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Clubs.

Clubs, hookers and blow.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Thanks! This looks right up my alley. I am a really big foodie so if you remember anything else that you ate or did that you loved let me know.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

London: sightseeing wise, nothing that you don’t easily find on the web. Would recommend Churchill war rooms if you are a history buff. Tower of London is good as well but not close to most of the other west-end sights.

regarding restaurants, recommend Hakassan (good Chinese), Dishoom (Indian street food) or if you want a really good British Indian curry check out one of the restaurants on Brick Lane.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

i’m definitely trying to do the Churchhill stuff. Time is limited there. My wife really wants to do the Harry Potter production tour and I am going to a premier league match Saturday

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Go to Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park on Sunday to watch people rant and rave on their literal soapboxes.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My suggestion for London, especially if time is tight, is to do the hop on-hop off bus which should show you all of the highlights in less than 2 hours. My next suggestion is to visit the Tower of London and take their guided walking tour. My Tower guide was a ex-RAF and likely the best public speaker I have ever experienced. If time permits, the British National Museum is amazing ... amazing what the Brits stole when no one was looking ;)

The last time I did Rome, I hired a private tour guide for the fam and she showed us around, which included skipping some long wait lines including using a "side entrance" at the Vatican. There is also a hop-on/hop-off bus for Rome.

donkeypunch likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Be sure to Mind The Gap

15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

San Carlo Cicchetti in London. One of the best Italian meals I’ve had. Been too long since I’ve been to Rome to make recommendations