1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Maybe if Andre Drummond was also part of the deal.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Caruso averaged 5 PPG last year.

I didn’t endure an entire season of down-by-20-drink only to see our “reward” get traded away for a guy that turns 30 in a couple weeks.

I know Caruso is a good defender and would fit, but I’d rather play the wait-and-see game with Jalen. Especially if Chicago is playing games with their asking price. My ambitions for our mid-season tweaks are a lot higher than improving Holiday’s minutes. Yours should be too.

3. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

With the reports that New Orleans has serious interest in Mikal Bridges, their roster + salary situation, and how their team has looked this year, here's a trade that I could see being considered. I like it for all involved:

NOP receives
    Mikal Bridges

BKN receives
    Jalen Green
    Dyson Daniels
    Nets 2024 FRP unprotected
    Nets 2025 Top 1 protected

HOU receives
    Trey Murphy III
    Larry Nance Jr
    Sixers 2027 FRP top 8 protected

New Orleans completes a necessary consolidation trade to get their ideal two way 3rd/4th option on a cost controlled contract, while retaining their stockpile of draft picks for another move down the line, and giving them enough space under the first apron to extend Brandon Ingram. Trey Murphy hasn't been a big part of their success so far this year, and Hawkins' emergence + Herb Jones bargain extension makes New Orleans keeping Murphy long-term less likely.

Brooklyn gets their picks back to rebuild the next two years, and they get two real young prospects who could use a change of scenery in Jalen and Dyson. This is close to the 4-5 FRP's in value that have been discussed for Bridges.

Houston turns Jalen Green and 2 BKN picks into a pure shooting SG with size in Trey Murphy who better fits around the rest of their core and IMO still has offensive star upside in a situation where he can get more offensive opportunities. They also get back Larry Nance who can give them rotation 4/5 minutes over the next 1.5 seasons, is an Ime style player, and is a right sized expiring contract next season. The protected future Philly pick from Brooklyn gives Houston another asset to use in future trades.

Corrosion, ramotadab and OremLK like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

I like it but see little point for Brooklyn.

Granted, it's their own picks, but if they can get 4 picks from somewhere else without having to take Jalen, I see that as the better deal.

5. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I would add Sengun and 3 more 1st round picks in exchange for Boban’s uncle and Motiejunas. Just to make it even funnier

Sep11ie and tagedieb like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

To Rockets:
    Trey Murphy
    Royce O'Neal
    Last Suns pick the Nets have

To Nets:
    Brandon Ingram
    2024 Nets #1

To Pelicans:
    Jalen Green
    Mikal Bridges
    Dariq Whitehead

Nets take a pick swap and Ingram for Bridges. Pelicans retool from a place that looks like is going nowhere while not giving up draft assets. Rockets push draft capital into future when there's greater need for young players. Murphy plays right away as upgrade ocer Green.

I think only works if Pelicans feel they need to change things up.

7. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Value-wise I think this is ok, although Ingram IMO is a significantly better player and more valuable than Bridges. I’d do it as Houston.

Don’t think it aligns with the other team’s strategies though — particularly New Orleans. This is the best Pelicans team they’ve ever had basically. If they trade for Bridges it’s to make a deep playoff run. They’re keeping Ingram / Zion / Mccollum / Jones.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

To Wizards- Tate+2 future 2nds
    To Rockets- Tyus Jones

To Pacers- Landale+Brooks+Jalen Green+2027 Rockets FRP

To Rockets- Jalen Smith, Ben Mathurin, Jarace Walker

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That’s way to much for murphy

joshuaao, saleem and monster like this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

in a whosezno mode I don’t think it flies anywhere.

saleem likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

An easier trade suggestion for Houston.
    Tate for Seth Curry. We get a shooter on an expiring contract. Dallas gets a defender on an expiring contract ( team option).

joshuaao likes this.
  12. kpdark

kpdark Member

Olynyk should be the next target..

13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Londale for PJ Tucker.

Tucker comes here and hosts a 3 day seminar about playing with heart and defense then we buy him out for the full value of his contract as thank you for his years of service. Doesn't do much but at least Jock is off the books.

joshuaao, ramotadab and mikol13 like this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

To Blazers:
    Reggie Bullock
    #2 pick from Rockets

To Knicks:
    Jalen Green

To Rockets:
    Quinten Grimes
    Matisse Thybulle
    Precious Achiuwa
    Malachi Flynn
    #1 pick from Knicks (top 5 protected)

Knicks take a flier on Jalen for Grimes, salary filler, and protected pick.

Blazers free up salary and get a pick.

Rockets get a potential long term answer at the wing and add another elite wing defender. They also add draft capital for the future.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Zach LaVine is what I’m afraid Green will end up being. Tantalizing, but ultimately empty calories. He has a $40m/yr salary that has crippled his team’s ability to improve while not providing enough to get them over the hump himself. And he has already started his slide before the age of 30.

ramotadab and OremLK like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Salary + injury history would make Lavine a tough sell.

theDude and saleem like this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

To Brooklyn:
    2024 Nets #1
    Reggie Bullock
    Jesean Tate
    2 #1 picks from Grizzlies

To Grizzlies:
    Mikal Bridges

To Rockets:
    Marcus Smart
    2 #1 picks from Grizzlies (furthest out)

Nets can tank this year and still have 2 more picks. Grizzlies get their guy for Smart and 4 picks. Rockets get depth at PG with FVV injury and turn 1 pick into 2.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t trade Jalen Green for Caruso because it is such a short term move. That said, the costs used to acquire Green should not affect his value to the Rockets.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Green had a LaVine like career except without the injuries and was paid appropriately, would that be considered a good outcome for Green?

joshuaao and lakersuck2 like this.