1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Now that we have our future All Star back court...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You speak volumes about what Cam can't do...This kid's on his way to becoming an elite 3 level scorer/closer.... at 19. It's quite obvious. That pure stroke, handles, and the ability to finish with authority. Anyway, in the NBA, he has far more advantages at the 2. (on both sides of the ball) If you want to get technical about it, his game is more reminicient of a 2-3 swingman. Cam will certainly compliment Sengun and Amen, who will be having a large chunk of the offense running through them, At the same time, he has a transcendent superstar like ability to take over games...again, at 19. What's his game going to look like at 25? Call him what you will in this age of positionless hoops, but he should play alongside Amen for a looong time. These two have great chemistry. I'd also wager big he becomes a better than average defensive player. I used a MJ/Joe Johnson hybrid comparison in the other thread, and stand by it. Cam's going to put up 28-32 points/gm or so one day.

roxallways, Hemingway, Rochut and 3 others like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In terms of handle and three levels scorering ability he really hasn't shown that ability yet. He hasn't been the point of attack guard against set defenses yet so we don't know how he'd operate in such a situation.

He's been playing a KJ Martin role this year so far. Obviously doing it better than KJ Martin as he's a better shooter but that's essentially the role and scoring profile he's taken. Mostly transition, catch and shoot and straight line drives after defenses are scrambling and not set. That's the role Ime has set for Cam so far. I doubt Green is going to play 82 games. So Cam will get his chance to show if he can expand tha role. If he shows signs he can then Green will probably be very expendable this off season.

#42 fchowd0311, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    cmlmel77 and Stephen_A like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I never said he isn’t a good offensive player but he doesn’t give much else right now and needs to continue to work on these weaknesses. i already mentioned why he isn't a 2. if you think he is a 2 then by all means you are entitled to your opinion. The positionless basketball is a term often misunderstood and misued by fans. It was coined by Spoelstra to speak about how some 3’s like Lebron can play point or how we are seeing more combo guards in the league like Fox etc. The position has to be based on the skill of the player. You can’t just plug players in and expect them to perform. That’s why Nick Nurse’s Raptors didn’t work last couple years since he was playing OG or Precious at the 4. And That’s why Jimmy Butler isn’t a 2. Spoelstra usually doesn’t play Butler at the 2.

#43 Stephen_A, Feb 4, 2024
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol he aint no 2. It’s about the skills a player possess and what role he is best suited for and how we can use that player effectively

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I caution about the superstar talk. Michael Beasley was a tremendous talent like Cam and took over several games in his career but didn’t add much else in terms of making winning plays. While their games are different (Beasley likes posting, turnaround jumpshots etc) they are similar in their singular prowess on offense while not adopting these other traits and nuances of the game.

Plowman likes this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Why you lot can't see that Amen-Green-Whitmore is a fantastic trio that all compliment each other on both ends is beyond me.

Rustyrig and MadMax94$ like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Are you talking to me? If so I never said he wouldn’t compliment the other players or isn’t a good offensive player. I don’t assume anything or speak in hyperbole I simply state what is and formulate an assessment based on current and past information. And right now he is simply a good offensive player but I caution the superstar talk etc since there are legitimate deficiencies and there’s been players like him throughout league history.

8. Buck Turgidson

WUT?

as to the topic: I don't care who they are, I don't care what position they play, but the team desperately needs someone who can knock down 3s

Stephen_A and kspires999 like this.
  9. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Cam is very impressive, but come on: This is fan fiction territory.

Ditto.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

This reminds me of Alperen and his "lack of a 3-pt shot".

Stephen_A likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Amen
    Cam
    PlayerX
    Jabari
    Sengun

Tari
    other
    bench
    people

Plowman and HardenReturns like this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Don’t understand why these fans keep saying Jalen is a liability on defense. He has worked very hard on his on ball defense and if you watch he does a lot of right things. He stays with his player most of the time. Gets low in his stance and stays in front of his man with arms up not fouling as the player rises up for a shot or layup. He switches when needs to, drops and picks up assignments appropriately. Is he great? By no means. He lets stronger players muscle their way to the paint leaving him at a bad angle and all he can do at that point is foul or let the guy go and hope weak side help comes. He is doing his job.

#52 Stephen_A, Feb 4, 2024
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He’s already good, he is going to be great.

Stephen_A and Plowman like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, you're wrong now

Plowman likes this.
  15. j@amc

j@amc Member

The reason we keep saying Jalen is a liability is because that's what he is.. today.

This is the first possession from the Toronto game. He's so eager... and woefully out of place.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s one clip and if you show one clip for each player in the NBA even Kawhi you would see mistakes. Im interested in seeing the full play as well not an edited clip.

Are NBA players perfect? Name one that never makes a mistake. Besides I said specifically he isn’t great but consistently stays in front of his man. If you’re going to post a video post the whole game when he’s on defense.

Im also pretty sure you will Sengun out of position and committing a foul or Cam not in the right position.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I went back and watched the full action. What happened was the man up top cut. Dillon Brooks was caught ball watching and Green had to cover the cutting man. Then Brooks ran after the same guy. That’s on Brooks.

18. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

He is already "good"...so you are already "rarely wrong"...congrats

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

Thanks for the conversation. What's sad is that what you're fundamentally claiming is true. Jalen is better on D. That is, he's not a complete turnstile anymore. But he could make a monumental leap with just a little more effort and attention to detail. Right now he's on a path to be a serviceable defensive option in two or three years.

I'll make two more points.

1. The GIF I posted was not some sort of thorough full-game analysis. It's the first possession of the Raptors game. In the game logs, I've posted a few links to the advanced stats/video of Jalen's defensive possessions. You can search for those and go inside the stats. Having watched games and reviewed the defensive analytics, I would argue that in general, players shoot a relatively high percentage when Jalen is the primary defender.

2. In the clip, Jalen Green flies by when shown the ball. It's on the scouting report. It happens every single game. And he gets beat back door for baskets constantly. As a pro basketball player, he should be embarrassed and solve these problems.

It's bad enough that almost every guard in the league can muscle him out on the way to the basket. The problem here is that he closes out without control. It's about intensity, burst, and effort. Jalen can give us more, and I hope he will.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've seen LeBron and bigs like Ingram try to get to the rim on him and they and to pass it off.

He also has been pretty great at closeouts.