1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don’t get what you mean in the first paragraph. Silas must have done something well because majority thinks alpi did not progress well under him? What does this mean?

silas cannot coach. Period. That’s my opinion. I have never seen post games that are so empty in content. It is obvious that, it is not the case that he is good but the roster is young and it doesn’t show. He has very limited knowledge of basketball. I initially thought too he cannot coach big men. But my conclusion is he cannot coach anyone. He just has more interest in guard centric play, but he is not visibly better in coaching them either.

Von Rafer likes this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

So he literally didn’t know the meaning of the word. Very reasonable :)

edit: I missed your first literally too!

Easy likes this.
  4. Gergin

Gergin Member

The interview with the Silas assistant who literally struggled to say anything remotely positive about Alpi was really really bizarre.

plegus, HardenReturns, Ardeus and 4 others like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

There were so many bizarre stuff. It looked like the staff thought they were failing because of Alpi and reflected that in every single opportunity.

HardenReturns likes this.
  6. kokozo

kokozo Member

This quote made me understand the Sengun haters. They might not know any better :/

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No harm done, you said in your sentence that we should not put all the blame on Silas, okay, I got that one.

Never mind if that is not the case.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Always amazes me that for some, it is difficult to acknowledge the guy without pointing out "his defensive weaknesses" in the same sentence.

No player never makes mistakes, and sure, he can and should improve further, but he is 21 and he is 8th in defensive win shares and 14th in defensive box plus/minus and 16th in defensive rating in the entire NBA, according to Stathead.

Feels like clinging to an old narrative to not simply say "OK, I was wrong about how good this dude is" and start enjoying the ride over the next 10 years with him as our franchise player.

My wife tells me I never admit I was wrong about anything lol. Looks like I might not be the only one. But I guess I can relate haha.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sengun is pretty clearly a player that can be “The Guy”. He has some deficiencies that probably require a little bit more team-building around him BUT he also has some unique skill sets that allow us to go away from the grain at other positions.

I really feel like we need to continue to tweak the offense around his skill sets. He can do more specially, in regards to passing and shooting the open three-pointer.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watch your back

B-Bob likes this.
  12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

it is similar to jokic vs embiid. Jokic cannot win a championship is always said, despite weak or deplete supporting cast but you rarely hear it for embiid who never won.

‘Hard to build around’ thing is overblown too. In offense Sengun is pretty is easy to build around. His defense is not like he is horrible and you have to build something special to cover him. We got that vibe because of non existent perimeter defense for two years. Even now fvv is one of the smaller guards and jg is just getting the hang of the basics. Sengun is much better than Jokic’s early years and more importantly he is aware of his weaknesses and working on it.

cml750 likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I love this stuff, next level lunacy

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The lunacy is that you don't think for a second it could be a typo or there is some missing word, and the poster did not mean that. You actually believe that sof think Sengun is much better than jokic.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean it’s literally what you said, if you meant something different i take it back

17. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

These criticisms can be remedied with roster construction.

The best thing the Rockets can do is get a Serge Ibaka type of complimentary big to pair with Sengun, let Jabari be a shooting/slashing forward on offense with limited dribbles. You could rotate Jabari to the 4 and the athletic, floor spacing shot blocker to the 5 when Sengun sits.

Replace Jalen Green with an athletic big that has shooting touch.

18. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Please... I beg to differ.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"He's a really good offensive player, with defensive weaknesses."

How about this: He is the TOP HUSTLE PLAYER IN THE NBA (maybe Tari will challenge him when he gets back).

Matches the eye test - the narrative that he is lazy on defense has always been wrong.

These are not offensive statistics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

where is that nobody now? still on the payroll? pls give us a name or twitter so that we let him know he is oxygen waste.