1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Dillon Brooks gets buckets. Last season was a negative outlier.
    Swapping out Jalen Green isn’t exactly COSTING you spacing, his 3-point percentage sucks.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

AD has played a lot of power forward over his career. He's slowed down a bit but I still think he could play next to Alpi, at least part-time. He can hit midrange jumpers and a three pointer here and there.

But like I said, I think he's too old to fit our timeline and too inconsistent and injury-prone to be the best player on a contender.

astrosrule and Von Rafer like this.
  3. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

This is the biggest concern. The AD trade is an idea to improve this roster, but it is far from a perfect option.

astrosrule likes this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean even with the insanely lucky shooting from Brooks you’re still talking about a guy with a 10 PER and some of the worst offensive metrics in the league. Once the shooting goes back to normal he’ll go back to being the worst offensive player (among non centers).

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, this dumb “lucky shooting” argument made sense at the beginning of the season. Now, it just sounds like hating.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

eh, i would still need at least another season to believe the past 5 were the flukes and not this one. Even with his shooting this season his offense still really really hurts

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

To be fair, he shot 50% from three the first ten games and has shot 36.8% since.

He has clearly made some improvements to his shooting stroke and shot selection, but I do think there was some early season luck involved

BMoney likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

actually if you analyze his career closely it shows that he’s always been a decent shooter. He averaged about 36% from 3 his first three years in the league. He had a poor 2-yr stretch right before we signed him where his shooting plummeted. There were a lot of reasons for that. He’s at about 39% on the season; I see him finishing no lower than 37%. He’s good for this team and very tradeable once it’s time for Tari and Cam to take over.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think 36-37% is probably his true talent level now, yes. He has been lucky, but that accounts for only some of his success this season.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Anyone else getting notes of desperation from the Nets? They sure have a lot of leaks about an "unavailable" player.

Nets: "Bridges is unavailable!"
    *silence*
    Nets: "I mean, the Rockets offered Green and a bunch of our picks for him!"
    *silence*
    Nets: "...and, yeah, another team offered us four FRPs!"
    *silence*
    Nets: "Um, did I say four? I meant five. Yeah, FIVE RFPs!"

#1390 Houston77, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    Y2JT, tagedieb, BMoney and 5 others like this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The last time AD reliably hit midrange jumpers was in the bubble.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Nets are a total clown show, they're basically screwing over their own future to try to limit what pick the rockets get. What do they care if the lose the 1st or 5th or 10th or 15th pick? So stupid for them to keep bridges

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah, they aren't getting a motherload of picks and young players in return for ..... Trevor Ariza.

jcmoon likes this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Kind of a cool way to look at the possibilities before the deadline.

subtomic likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are some GMs that will do whatever is in the best interest of their team even if it gets them fired sooner. There are other GMs that will hold onto whatever slim hope there is for a quick get rich scheme to work that they hurt their team's long run hopes to keep their job another 6 months to a year. There is enough anecdotel evidence of teams getting lucky and of teams rebuilding sucking for a while that GMs still go for it more than they probably should.

I see Brooklyn as having a wide range of outcomes. For a team as bad as they are, they still might be able to get a star to make them a good team. I think Vecenie put it best in that they have the resources to get a number 1 guy, but need a number 1 and a number two and don't have the resources to get that number 2. Would a number 1 guy go there knowing that once Bridges signs an extension, the team will have very little flexibility in getting better? If they get a star, they are likely a 45 win team. If they don't, they may be able to hover as a play-in contender. Anything goes wrong, and they burn through Bridges valuable years, and still are a cellar dweller that are where the Rockets were 3 years ago, 3 years from now.

#1395 Joe Joe, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    astrosrule likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-tra...s-mavs-nets-pistons-wizards-grizzlies-wolves/

•Brooklyn is not looking to rebuild, league sources told HoopsHype. Instead, the Nets hope to build alongside Mikal Bridges, who’s locked in for $23 million next season and $24.9 million in the 2025-26 season. Given Bridges’ contract, Ben Simmons’ $40.3 million salary expiring after the 2024-25 season, and the rest of the roster, the Nets have a two-year window where they can potentially add more star power to improve the team. Doing so could shift Bridges to a second or third offensive option, depending on who Brooklyn can acquire. … As previously reported by HoopsHype, the Nets passed on four first-round picks at last year’s deadline from the Grizzlies and recently passed on trade interest from the Rockets who were willing to give back several of Brooklyn’s unused remaining draft picks from the James Harden trade, but talks never got to that stage because the Nets declined to entertain anything for Bridges when Houston inquired.

•The Rockets also considered making a run at Drummond before acquiring Steven Adams.

•Chicago continues to have a high asking price on Alex Caruso of the equivalent of two first-round picks to consider moving the All-Defensive guard.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On 3-point percent true talent level, percentage and volume are tied together for me. Brooks is fine at low attempts. Jabari has been fine at low attempts. Not sure how those 2 do if they are given/take more chances, but I do have higher hopes that Smith can increase his 3PA volume and maintain effeciency than I do on Brooks. Green has sucked, but throws up a bunch. Cam and FVV are the only bombers with a good percentage currently in the rotation.

OremLK likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I like the idea but I would have used an alluvial/Sankey chart or even just a heat map. And, yes, I'm just talking **** like a punk because, no, I won't make the chart myself.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. Umut

Umut Member

If this team wants to at least make a play in, they definitely need an elite shooter, otherwise it's just luck. If Fred is good, Jalen is good, Jabari is good, none of them are elite shooters, they definitely need a guy who will score 3 points with 40% throughout the match. , otherwise competitiveness is impossible.

Houston is the 5th worst team in the league in 3-point percentage, what is missing is obvious