1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets would be dumb to let Houston sports media/Blogs influence them into trading Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Feb 3, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Really?

For a 19-21 year old it's not only not rare for Green it's a historic level high for Green.

For players Green's age I care more about what their ceilings look like and what their high end games look like rather than them being inconsistent. I expect highly talented young guards out of high school to be inconsistent. The question is whether they can show high end peaks and Green has shown high end peaks in scoring more than most young players at a near historical level.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The myth is that playing Jalen is at the expense of Cam. It is not. Cam's minutes have been steadily ramping and 20-25 mpg (or more sometimes) of the bench is perfect role for him now. The slow rollout of Cam by Udoka this season has been near-perfect. Just like for Jalen, there are 34 more games left in the season for Cam to improve and his minutes will continue creeping up if he does, probably at Jalen's expense. Jalen has not and does NOT hinder Cam's development.

If recent rumors are true, the Rockets value Cam (and Amen) more than Jalen for the long term so they won't let Jalen hinder either guy.

For the record: I also doubt very much Jalen has a long-term future here. I was on the Amen train while everyone was pooping on him and have recently joined the Cam train.

B-Bob and cml750 like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's so far a career 41-42% shooter (33-34% from 3). Improved his defense this year, but nothing else. Super streaky with a huge variance from mediocre to superstar. He's consistently inconsistent. But it has been barely half a season with a new coach and system that actually seem to coach the players. Probably, it's the first time he's been coached properly. I think you give him one year under the new system, unless an awesome deal comes along.

B-Bob, hlmbasketball, A_3PO and 2 others like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It proves inefficiency.... it's awesome that so many other players on the Rockets had good games that it didn't matter that Jalen went back to his old self, but the 5 game fluke ended at 5 games.

5. Ancient Moabite

Its because not many 21 year old are carrying NBA teams to major winning sucess, so its more of a young player showcasing something that is hard to do by those that age

And the other tricky part is good number of players in earlier times were in college, they weren't in the league 18/19/20 yrs old

They create a new/never been done after each sports game it seems, in all the major 4

Depending on if you are anti or pro is how you will either over rate it or throw a hatred tantrum

Carpe82 likes this.
  6. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Evan Mobley has always been, and will always be better than the femboy.

7. Ancient Moabite

Since the NBA started when has shooting 50% for the entire game ever been looked upon as inefficient?

What was his TS% in that fluke 5 game stretch? We need the new self fluke Green more often, makes them more dangerous

That 5 game stretch had you shook

Mobley for Green?

8. a time to chill

9. Ancient Moabite

Would you call Mobley a femboy/sissy for not even wanting to workout for the Rockets?

Who entitled Mobley to that throne? He wasn't Dream/Shaq coming out of USC

10. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Mobley’s father is smart. He did not want his son to rot under Silas & papafoxtrot Fertitta with cancers like KPJ and Christian Wood.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

lol, I have never once said anything about his personal stuff. My dislike comes from his performance on the court. I see you still have not responded to my post about the tweets I posted. Please go look at post #157 in this thread(and few after that) and you will see exactly why I am down on Green.

12. Ancient Moabite

So Mobley father coddled him like a lil girl and told him not to take the job interview is smart?

How would he not want his son to at least interview for the job and then tell them face to face like a real Male-man and say I don't want you to pick me, and pull a Francis if they draft him

But Mobley hid like a femboy/sissy and behind his father feminine arms

Is Mobley father going to tell Mobley how much he should get on his upcoming extension?

Mobley is just as femboy as Green, just the 7ft version

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I was happy with the Jalen pick at the time. I did not complain about Jalen very much over the first two seasons or to start this season. I had gripes about SIlas and the way they played but not Jalen. This year, as time goes by, it has become more than obvious his play is a problem. We now have a better player waiting in the wings to take his spot.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sigh. This is exactly the stat I was griping about.
    Want to know what Durant was shooting at Jalen's age? Nearly 61% TS. Again, I can cherry pick any random chucker and find some hot games, for sure. Jordan Poole definitely had some amazing TS games, I'm sure. But we usually talk about a shooter's averages over a longer period of time.

The truth is that there aren't that many players under age 21 that get the run that Jalen's had. So I'm not sure how many total players are in the "look at what they did by age 21" conversation.

Okay. That's all fine. I think eventual great players usually show some consistency fairly early in their careers. Time will tell, either for the Rox or some other org.

15. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

You never heard of teams planning their matchup against the opposing lineup? Never heard of them adjusting for the leading scorer of a team (and currently 2nd leading scorer)?

Wow. You'd rather act like a clown just to keep on hating. You do you then.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

The amount of minutes available for Cam as a reserve goes down once Tari comes back. Cam can play the 2 or 3 however his strengths are perfect for what we are missing at the 2. I see Jalen being traded or getting reserve minutes off of the bench with Cam getting the bulk of the minutes at the 2 spot. Time will tell.

Good call on Amen. I was iffy about him until recently. He will be valuable player based on all he can do as is. If he ever develops his long shot he very well could become a superstar.

B-Bob and Von Rafer like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ever since better benchmarks came out decades ago, that's when.

In the fluke 5 have 6 stretch his TS% was 70%+.... which is awesome. Too bad that's not the player he really is.

18. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Cam, and now Amen have made Jalen that much more expendable, especially with Jalen’s cap hit set to explode.

cml750 likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt Tari will have much effect on Cam's minutes. Tate will suffer the most from Tari's return and Tari's minutes will probably be limited for a while because the Rockets are using kid gloves on him. Maybe he doesn't play BtBs for a while.

I don't believe starting matters at all when it comes to total minutes or development. Closing tight games is where its at. Whenever Cam brings his A or B game, I'm sure he'll get his 20+ mins, put up 15+ shots and score 20-25 points. The few times he scuffles, his 2nd half mins might be reduced. Again, Cam is so successful as a high volume shooter coming off the bench, there is literally no reason to change his role (barring other circumstances). If it ain't broke...

But like you said, time will tell. Udoka probably knows best.

cml750 and Hemingway like this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Totally agree. I just hope they try and get Amen and Cam 25 mins a game most nights. FVV’s minutes to be cut back d holiday should never get minutes unless it’s junk time in a blowout.

B-Bob and Ancient Moabite like this.