1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Bridges never makes anyone around him better and he can be a ball hog too. Watched too many Nets games and Brooklyn really went nowhere when they featured Bridges as the main go to guy.

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

green can play the point, hes been doing it. We can run point guard by committee once vanfleet is gone. He can improve as a passer, his handles are good enough.

Dobbizzle and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I’m worried about having a primary scorer/playmaker on the perimeter That is good enough if we trade for Bridges.

i’m not saying that green is even as effective there as bridges is right now, but I am hoping that Green reaches a higher ceiling. I don’t know if bridges is quite that guy. I think you want him as your second best perimeter scorer. Cam could be the answer but that also means that bridges is playing small forward and pushing Brooks to the bench and I don’t see that.

Id have a hard time trading Green+2024 FRP back to them for bridges but I guess at least today I feel like I would do that because it also probably makes the pics in 2025 through 2027 better.

dmoneybangbang and jcmoon like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Holy hell this trade is so bad. If true Stone almost derailed the rebuild, thank God the nets were dumb and declined it.

For all of y'all that keep saying Bridges is who we need the Nets are 19-28 with Bridges. He's not a super star level guy, he's like a 3rd option on a championship team. Is he much better than Jalen Green? Yeah. If we add him the Rox will not only make the play in, they will also make the playoffs.

But then what? Sengun and Co are only 21 and younger, they ain't doing **** in the playoffs. It's basically gonna be a big 3 of Mikal, Brooks and FVV how far is the Mid 3 gonna go? Lol.

Nets are 19 28 and they are playing in the East. Their team isn't even that bad they got Nic Claxton at C, the 2 Cams providing spacing and scoring and even have Spencer Din Widdie at pg. If Bridges really as good as people say he is they wouldn't be a top 10 lotto team.

fryjol7, jcmoon and OremLK like this.
  5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I mean Mikal Bridges screams a slightly better version of Trevor Ariza to me. Occasionally he goes nuts and gives you a great stretch of games given the right setup. But left to himself he’s nothing but a glorified role player asked to do too much. Sheer drop off of advanced stats this year across the board. The (again uneducated) Nets fans claim it’s because of their lack of playmaking. Well duh isn’t that the whole freaking point? Then don’t demand 10 FRPs for someone that cannot be a 1st, or even 2nd option?

My guess is that the FO is just poking around. Only the right deal at the right time might move us.

Stay calm.

6. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

No way the Clippers do it...and they're the only ones that have that option. More hyperbole

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me, the biggest thing is that Bridges fits this team a lot better than certain other players that maybe are getting shopped.

Plowman and cml750 like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

The more I think about this the more it feels like Brooklyn is using us as leverage--maybe to get more assets from a team like OKC, who Bridges does make sense for (but they probably don't want to overpay because they've been burned before)

roslolian and Plowman like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I tend to think Jalen plus a 1st is close to market value for Bridges.

Easy and Plowman like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. #20+

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bridges doesn't fit cuz he is 27 and after being boosted by the Nets he prob thinks he is a max guy.

I'm all for upgrading the roster but this team revolves around 21 yr old Sengun and 20 yr old Jabari. The dude we get should be 23 at the oldest otherwise he doesn't fit the time line. We want the window to be a long time frame, not like a 2-3 yr window and the it's closed.

jcmoon likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He fits because he's a 2 way player that can hit 3's and doesn't have to be the center of everything in order to be productive.

Is he a bit older than you'd like? Sure, but a guy that is a couple of years older is better than a guy that isn't part of the team's future despite being young.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen has a higher ceiling but Bridges has a much higher floor. I think the risk of Jalen not panning out is higher than his upside, or else why would the Rockets want to trade him?

That said, Bridges just doesn't fit our true need. Giving up Green and a FRP for someone who doesn't fit what we need is a waste of assets.

jcmoon and roslolian like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

The fact that he is a bit older means he doesn't fit. Why are you limiting yourself to Green vs Bridges? There's the entire NBA out there. Who gives a crap if Bridges "fits more" than Green? He is still too old.

I don't mind trading Green and multiple firsts but it has to be someone who fits the time line and is a true upgrade not get the guy who will be washed when Sengun and Jabari are ready to win.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

27 isn’t a fossil and Bridges has been a better shooter and defender than Jalen. Bridges has 2 more seasons after this one under contract.

Jalen will need a new contract after next season. In spite of his hot finish to January he still only shot 30% from 3 last month.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

27 is not a fossil now but will be in 5 yrs when Sengun and Bari are in their prime and ready to win.

Jalen's new contract is gonna be less than Bridges new contract when his contract expires the year after next year. It's not like Jalen's new deal is gonna be a max contract you said it Green has been playing bad so why will he get a large deal? Jalen isn't even playing at the level of Andrew Wiggins in Minny so what makes you think he will get a large deal?

OTH Bridges has been being pumped by Nets as their first option you think he is ok making the same money as Bruce Brown? Being 29 yrs old Bridges will want a large deal otherwise he is leaving for a contender.

17. Landry's Tooth

It would take a unique situation that lines up. How many teams each year have 50 million in cap space?

gmoney411 likes this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

Probably because they have George and Kawhi.

I'm talking purely from current abilities... not looking at team needs.

19. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Bridges is prime Trevor Ariza who has contract that actually matches his skill but modern NBA team makes him like a steal. Contender loves to add him but bring not so much for Rockets who pays FVV a $40 mil just waste cap space

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you seem to think I'm talking about trading for Bridges as "the guy"....I'm not.

Him being 27 means that he'd have 5 years or so left of his prime...that's plenty of time.

This isn't still tanking years, the start of winning should be this season or next. A 27 year old is within that timeline.

If you expect the players on the team to suck for another 5 years....that's certainly a take I guess.