1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jalen Green's trade value now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 14, 2024.

?

What is Jalen Green's trade value now?

1. 2-4

2. 5-8

3. 9-12

4. 13-17

5. 18-23

6. Late first

7. Seconds

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Always a clear sign that somebody doesn't really pay attention to the game/league/anything when they start talking about offering minimum contracts to people who can often breathe and put up 25 points. I'm not sure they realise what a min player really looks like and just live in perpetual hyperbolic delusion.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That poster hasn't posted anything in the GARM during the Silas era. It's a bandwagoner so I expect reductive analysis.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you saying you'd rather sign him long-term as a mediocre shooter because he's got great ball handling skills or is great on defense? Come on now, that's silly. Whether he does stuff you love better than shooting or not, I'd say if there are better players at his position then sign one of them instead. It's not rocket science. We need guys with better than average shooting skills to compete offensively against the best teams. You might disagree, but that's where we differ, so no sense going round and round. You might think we can win Championships in the future without great 3 PT shooters but I don't.

4. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

If we don't get Wilt or Shaq back then it's a poor trade.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm no Rockets bandwagoner. I was a huge Rockets fan for years, since the days of Hakeem being a rookie. I lost interest after all our stars left a few years back. Of course I root for them, but I get bored watching kids learn to compete on the level of stars. I'm just not living and breathing watching them learning to play ball all the time with so many games in a season. I do love the progress with some of our kids though. I'm not like that with football because it's only once a week, so I've always watched every game, no matter how bad we were in the past. Never been a bandwagon fan of any sport. Always been a Houston fan #1, and never really watch any other teams play in sports, except in football.

#325 deb4rockets, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    kingjosh likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You're right. I know nothing much about contracts. I do know I'd rather have someone better than Jalen alongside Fred after next year if he doesn't pan out to be the guy we need to hit those 3's and make us more of an offensive threat.

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

45% board voted late first or second round pick. Here is what nearly half of the board would rather have :

24. Olivier-Maxence Prosper
    25. Marcus Sasser
    26. Ben Sheppard
    27. Nick Smith Jr.
    28. Brice Sensabaugh
    29. Julian Strawther
    30. Kobe Brown
    24. MarJon Beauchamp
    25. Blake Wesley
    26. Wendell Moore Jr.
    27. Nikola Jovic
    28. Patrick Baldwin Jr.
    29. TyTy Washington Jr.
    30. Peyton Watson
    24.Josh Christopher
    25. Quentin Grimes
    26. Nah’Shon Hyland
    27.Cameron Thomas
    28. Jaden Springer
    29. Day’Ron Sharpe
    30. Santi Aldama
    24. RJ Hampton
    25. Immanuel Quickley
    26. Payton Pritchard
    27. Udoka Azubuike
    28. Jaden McDaniels
    29.Malachi Flynn
    30. Desmond Bane

#327 Bo6, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    KingCheetah and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

The poll ask what people think Green's trade value is, not whether he's better than any particular low 1st round pick. There aren't really many comps to someone like Green in terms of past trades, cause such players are almost never traded regardless of whether they are good or they suck. So it's hard to ascertain. The closest comps I can think of would be Tyreke Evans who started off as ROTY and floundered since as a high usage guy who couldn't shoot efficiently enough. He was traded for 2 2nd rounders after his 4th year. Or Colin Sexton who was part of the Mitchell deal.

At least before his recent resurgence, it was unlikely that any team would offer much more than a low 1st for him. Certainly any pick would be lottery protected in a straight up deal.

JayGoogle and J.R. like this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Do you have a plug into FO's around the league? If so I do apologize.

The point is that a low first rarely produces even an NBA bench level of player, proven by the play pool I provided... which Green has easily proven to be in the 2.5 years of play.

#329 Bo6, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. invocux

invocux Member

Malik Monk and 2 second rounders. Monk is twice the player he is though.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Last 5-game stretch is 29.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 3.8 assists to 1.8 turnovers with 1.6 steals and 0.6 blocks, on 51.5% / 35.6% shooting. We have three more games before the trade deadline--if he can turn in comparable numbers over those three games I definitely think his trade value does go up a bit, but conversely, it would make him that much less likely to be dealt since the front office may get cold feet if they think he's at the start of a major breakout.

12. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Makes me wonder if you have seen him play.

13. invocux

invocux Member

Yeah you are the only one watching NBA.

14. jogo

jogo Member

I think Jalen started playing better after he was told he wouldn't be traded. My belief is he was bad for much of this year partly because Ime made him play a different way. And then I think Jalen had a period when he was scared he would be traded and this led to some really bad games. He was told he wouldn't be traded and his confidence returned. So I don't think Jalen will be traded, at least not until the offseason.

He's finishing a lot better at the rim, 70%. That's much better than last year. He is much better when he tries to lay-up rather than dunk. He's learned not to drive into a contested paint, at least not most of the time.

Jalen still shoots not squared up. He takes a step back three that he doesn't have. If Jalen could be a 37% three point shot he'd be great. I don't think he'll ever shoot a 37% three pointer, not unless he drastically changes his offseason routine. The team has to decide if they can have a starting SG that shoots 34% or 35% threes for his career. If they want that, then tell him to reduce his 3PA from 6.7 a game to something like 4.5 a game.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You make some really good points. Totally agree about the transition from AAU/Silas to playing the right way...in an organized system. Thinking too much. Has needed it to become innate. It's a process.
    JG's confidence does play big here too.
    He started playing better for a stretch, first when Cam was sent down to GLegaue, and now since Litmore's been breathing down his neck. I like to see him responding to the challenge..seeing him coming around...much better of late. Green needs a uniform stroke. We know he has it in him to knock it down from Downtown, as he did earlier in his tenure here. I'm not going to go so far as to say he's not getting dealt though. We'll see. I still see him being more valuable to a team that plays up and down...faster pace.

#335 Plowman, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  16. Radricky

Radricky Member

Honestly how many teams would really be interested in him?
    Certainly not teams seriously competing now right?

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Why the angst? Why panic? Let's not sell cheap when there is still the chance Jalen who is improving will break out. Can't pay 3 or 4 max contracts? Worried that by next year Jalen makes it a hard decision because he looks good and will need a max or near max contract value to match? A third or 4th Rockets looks better? Then we can use him in the trade for the star.

BTW I love love Cam, but there are good things that Jalen does that Cam will probably never do and vice versa. One year from now we will have more data on both of them as well as Amen. Patience!!

jcmoon likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Rj Barrett, Andrew Wiggins

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Who is this rando guy?