1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics, Suns interested in Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, it was tough to get Tate minutes with Sengun as the Rockets don't have the shooting to handle both of them at the same time. Now it is tough to get Tate minutes with Amen as the Rockets don't have the shooting to handle both of them at the same time. There just aren't many minutes that Sengun and Amen aren't on the floor, and Tate just isn't good enough to steal minutes from those two. Additionally, the Rockets don't have defenders at every position like Celtics so they can't just blow off the offense and bully teams with 5 defenders.

jcmoon and Joe Rocket like this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Poor Gordon lol

Invisible Fan and napalm06 like this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Tate was the singular good thing to happen in our cursed "W.O.W" season. He has been a valuable member in times of darkness.

But it's time to go. I wish him all the best, he can shine as the 8-9th man on a contender. Eddie House type beat. Grab a second first round pick and let's tighten our rotation. If you can package him for a back-up 5 that's obviously ideal.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are not getting a #1 for Tate IMO.

They can collect those 2nd rounders....... of Stone will do something like take on negative assets to try and squeeze a #1.

The Rockets should try to rope Tate into a multi team deal where they can get Q. Grimes or AJ Griffin

cml750, jcmoon, Shark44 and 7 others like this.
  5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Oh crap. I thought J.R.’s post on 1st page was real. Was wondering why he didn’t give links. Silly me. Got me excited for a minute.

J.R. likes this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Or pick up a trade exception and a 2nd then parlay those straight into one of those guys.

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Teams like the Suns and Lakers are interested in Tate because they are in cap hell and very limited in what they can and cannot add or trade for, and have limited assets available. The possibility to get someone that is a quality end of the rotation player for low cost is exactly the type of move they wish to do.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

so do we end up moving him for a low price?

we can’t bluff and say “Tate is a valuable member of our team” when the guys minutes are dropping like rocks .

I understand we are prioritizing Jeff green , and amen and cam . But it’s not like doing that is really leading to more wins this year .

i thought IME would like and play Tate more .. and in fairness to Tate , most of the time he’s called on he does exactly what he’s asked .

he has been instrumental in leading our defense at times and settling us down .

I like that jalen is having this nice stretch and that cam has been coming on strong , but Tate probably deserved the sg starting spot at game 30.

how much are our young guys actually developing and how much is just being masked by having FVV and brooks on the floor with them ?

Idk what stone is doing . He’s still on thin ice imo

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tate for FRP pick doesn't work. The Stone special is incrementally increasing value of a pick through multiple transactions outside of the moves that catch everyone's attention for being bad. The Brookyn 2024 SRP is only 8 or 9 spots from being a FRP. I'd guess it would be easier with Tate or Holiday to move that pick up 8 spots than it would be to get Grimes. Griffin...he might be needed for the Rockets to take Capela off the Hawks hands.

Nook likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL It was a joke (referring to when Woj or Shams leaked they (Rockets) had a first lined up for Oladipo and a lottery pick lined up for Gordon. Maybe those were flipped).

duluth111222 and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Stone sucks at draft pick asset management.

He has overall drafted well - even with Mobley or Barnes being a better fit.

Aruba77 and J.R. like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets need shooting and Tate isn't good enough at that skill. Plus they have other players that need the minutes.

If the Rockets are really so concerned about winning right now, they would trade for a good center and back up point guard.

BigMaloe and Aruba77 like this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Whatever Tate's actual value is on the open market, deduct 40% from that, and that's what Stone is going to get for him. I simply don't trust Stone's ability to maximize trade value for any incoming or outgoing player.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Of players drafted in 3 years that were drafted using draft pick asset mananagement (i.e., not an own pick [e.g., Green] or a pick directly acquired by trading a star [e.g., Tari]), Sengun and Whitmore are easily in the top 10. I'd have Sengun number 1 though Jalen Williams has an argument for that spot. Lively is in there. I'm guessing I'm missing a couple of guys.

The Rockets have 5 good looking prospects, Jalen Green, and a full complement FRPs going forward despite the Harden trade only canceling out the Westbrook trade in regards to future obligations. You can whine about SRPs being lost, the swap that didn't convey, and any other perceived slights you have against Stone, but at the end of the day, Sengun himself is easily worth significantly more than the picks given up for him plus every mistake Stone has made regarding draft pick management. Jalen Green and Josh Christopher right now look like the only picks that there was much debate on whether they were the best option available at the time.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Garuba was a waste of 1st round pick and so was TyTy

16. Nook

Nook Member

We are talking about two different things.

What I am talking about it acquiring future picks and not burning opportunities to get extra picks. The Rockets under Stone passed up a lot of opportunities for draft picks through taking on other teams contracts, not moving them when they could for more future picks and then wasting picks to trade players on the roster and not getting enough in trade when trading players for draft picks.

In fairness - it is also hard to know how much of it TF will allow (taking on salary for picks).

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say draft pick asset management is the management of draft pick assets. Acquiring them is part of it. I'd also say spending them to trade up, trade in, trade out of drafts, and consolidation of draft capital is also draft pick asset management. The pick for Whitmore was acquired through draft pick asset management, and then other assets were used to increase that pick's value. I have a hard time seeing how getting the pick that became Whitmore is not draft pick asset management.

On burning opportunities to have extra draft picks, Stone burnt two FRPs to draft Sengun. If burning picks in trades you don't like is draft pick asset management, burning picks in a trade you like should also be draft pick asset management.

I'm not saying Stone hasn't made mistakes. I'm not saying he's made more right decisions than wrong. I'm saying the end result of his good moves in trades involving draft picks outweigh the mistakes in magnitude by a lot considering his mistakes in trades tend to be late FRPs or SRPs.

Nook likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With all the praise on his other deals we cannot forget that Stone literally salary dumped 3 first round pick selections in just year 1 and 2 because he thought he was getting a player in free agency he wasn’t really getting.

Maybe Garuba, Christopher, and TyTy sucked but that doesn’t make it sting any less.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not telling you that you are wrong - I just separate the two and always have. Some executives are good at both and some only at one.

The Rockets under Stone have avoided any major draft mistakes and they (and Stone) deserve credit for that.

The Rockets have not been especially good at acquiring draft picks and maximizing the return/opportunities to get draft picks.

20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Can we do a trade of Tate and Green for either KD, Jalen Brown or Tatum?
    Our green for your brown?