1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Electricity Providers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Johndoe804, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

What time frame should I be looking to renew? 1, 2, 3?

I did 3 year terms the last 2 times because I hate doing this every year and I figured, how much lower can I get..?

2. Buck Turgidson

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Part of the bump is increased ancillary costs to make sure we don't get another blackout. That should subside in a couple of years when the resource adequacy market is stood up, but that will come with an expense of its own. The days of the energy-only market are over and we will have to pay to make sure generation reserves are around. Short answer, I don't think prices will go back down.

Sajan likes this.
  4. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Personally I would choose to sign as long of a contract as possible. Natural gas prices are fairly low right now. I think it's more likely to go up in the future than go down.

Plus, as you said, it's less work to sign a long contract.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2478/natural-gas-prices-historical-chart

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

good idea.

let me compare natural gas prices to when i signed the contract to see if that correlates.

if so i am signing for 3 years.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I went with a 12 month contract back in August for 11.7/kwh (I use over 2k per month) I found that longer contracts actually cost more, right now on powertochoose.org, the cheapest I see for long term contracts is 13.7/kwh (over 2k).

As for it being a pain, just set a reminder in your google calendar and make sure you set the alerts. OR just 'snooze' the conformation email until you're about a month out from the end of your term.

ryan_98 likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

I just go by the cheapest base rate with no other fees (like 10$ if you use less than 1000) other than centerpoint's fees that everyone has to pay..which I think now is like $5 a month + 5.337 per kw

I am seeing base rates around 8.8 currently, which is a jump from my currrent 5.3c

I don't go by the 500, 1000, 2000 estimates.

9. JuanValdez

It makes sense that a longer contract could cost more, doesn't it? They'll buy a 12 month strip to hedge your Year 1, but they face risk of increasing supply costs later in your term. So, they need an adder to cover your supply risk for the entirety of your contract. When a customer decides to offload their long-term supply risk by signing a long-term deal, the retailer is picking up that risk and should get paid for it. The good news is that the retailer is in a better position to manage supply risks and can do it more cheaply than the customer. So, maybe the rate is a little higher, but it's probably more than worth it because you don't have to face uncertainty.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

i am seeing lower rates for longer terms...

Plan Name Term Rate/kWh
    Rhythm Simply Bright 36 14.6 ¢
    Rhythm Simply Bright 6 14.8 ¢
    Rhythm Simply Bright 24 14.9 ¢

Rhythm Simply Bright 36
    Average price per kWh includes:
    Energy Charge + 8.804¢ × kWh used
    CenterPoint Delivery Charges + $4.39 per month
    + 5.377¢ × kWh used

11. JuanValdez

That's good. I'm not checking gas futures. There is also the dynamic that there is a customer acquisition cost that will take most of year 1 to recoup. So retailers like longer contracts for that reason.

12. Xerobull

You should pay close attention to the 500,1000 and 2000 rates because that's another way they get you.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why?

If I know the only thing I am getting charged is base + centerpoint charges...how exactly are they going to get me?

14. Xerobull

You know...that's a really good question. I can't figure out why the price they display differs based on kwh bracket usage.

upload_2024-2-2_19-3-46.png

Hmm...maybe I got got.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Because the $4.39 is charged regardless of kwh......so obviously you get more "value" for your that 4.39 if you used 2000....vs 500.

2000 x base rate
    2000 x energy delivery rate
    $4.39

now divide 2000 / whatever that total cost is...

repeat for 500.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's different because the Centerpoint/TDU charge has a "per kWh" component (5.377 cents/kWh) that is lower than the energy charge you pay on all 3 tiers from the looks of it (5.624 cents/kWh). So the more energy you use the lower your average rate, but the higher your total bill since you used more electricity. This is what happens when everybody gets trained to look at the average rate. :D I've seen situations in the past where companies discount your entire bill if you use, say, more than 2000 kWh to where it would be way more advantageous to use 2000 kWh instead of 1950 kWh because your bill would be lower since the discount kicks in at 2000 kWh. But from what you posted, I don't see a discount like that.