1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Clemson and FSU rank 17th and 15th in the country in revenue.

They are absolutely additive properties to any league on offer.

Once you move past the legal entanglement of the ACC GOR, the question becomes do the networks have enough buying power/liquidity to pay an increased yearly carriage fee?

There's no doubt fsu/clem are additive properties, what they lack is leverage. The networks know that fsu/clem would cut their left nut off to get into the super 2 because not getting in could ultimately prove fatal for any top tier athletic aspirations.

They will settle for a discount to move, for sure.

2. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Major likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why is "Horns Down" considered so offensive? UT fans act like its akin to being called the N word. I'm genuinely curious, I just don't get it.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

OK. Oops! That sign is offensive to some cultures.

The outrage is truly funny. But they have a long way to go to match Rice's MOB in the past for creativity.

#1564 Marshall Bryant, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea. It's fair play and makes things fun. I think it's lame when I see fans of schools like Washington, who has no history against us, do it but to each their own.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I really don't get who is perpetuating the whole horns-down sanctity campaign.

Fans, students, and alums don't really seem to give a **** (rightly so).

It feels like it's all just an edict from some suit in an administrative ivory tower somewhere.

mtbrays likes this.
  7. Bob Barker 007

It's entirely media driven. Big school that everyone seems to have an opinion on and a topic that drives negative press/anger at UT leads to a lot of clicks and attention. Once it starts spiraling, it gets the attention of Texas fans and PR, who then "confirm" what opposing fans think of Texas by claiming they don't care, and the cycle continues, leading to more clicks and attention.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's not a media invention.

The gesture ends up codified in rule books and playing part in some really petty stuff.

The media has nothing to do with it. Some folk(s) sitting in a big ass chair in a burnt orange building somewhere really get their fee-fees all bruised over it.

9. Buck Turgidson

It's b.s....always has been. I've never known, and I've know a whole lot of, a worthwhile UT fan who actually gave a crap.

So Baylor came up with it 60+ years ago right after the Horns came up with their sign. Great. SEC has already said they don't care, do or do not, and get over it.

UT people being upset about it has always been more annoying and candyass than fans of teams like OU, Tech, Baylor, UH, etc... actually doing it (which was candyass to begin with)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’ll never do it…but I think it’s weird how sensitive people get about it.

11. Buck Turgidson

It's very weird. I get it being a problem if you're on the field throwing it in someone's face (just like any other taunting penalty), but other than that just get the **** over it.

MadMax likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I love upsetting tu fans.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’d rather just win. The best noise is just winning. Beat em.

14. Buck Turgidson

This is even the most lamest I've seen today.

Good job, ol'timer

Major likes this.
  15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and DonnyMost like this.
  16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't care about the hand gesture but it's typical little brother syndrome on display.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

It annoyed UT alums and admins enough that they asked the B12 to put in rules making it a taunt, and separately caused our basketball coach to go a little nuts last week, so it's not entirely media driven.

I find it weird when random schools do it when playing Texas. But I find it especially weird when A&M or OU do it when playing someone that is NOT Texas. Like why are Aggies doing horns down when they score against Alabama?

Overall, seems like harmless fun to me. Fans trying to get under the skin of other fans, I guess.

mtbrays and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

TBH I think horns down at a UT player, staff, or fans should be a taunting penalty, because it is taunting.

You're attempting to provoke someone with a show of contempt. Plain as day.

But problem with instituting that rule is that it means horns up at someone who isn't a UT player, staff, or fan is also taunting.

At which point it feels so litigious as to be silly.

gucci888 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

This.

Tech loves it.

20. Buck Turgidson

My favorite scene from that show