1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Game 7 you want Meyers over Pena?

Come on man. I know Pena had a bad second half last year....but one of those two guys has proven he can perform under pressure, in a HUGE way

raining threes likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Most CF posters have no idea how good we really are

It's a very pessimistic group

3. raining threes

How many times do you think they walk Yordan with this lineup?

I bet he leads the league in walks.

4. raining threes

What made this a great lineup was Uncle Mike hitting instead of Meyers.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are probably right.

I was just looking at the stats.

Pena was up w/ runners on 1st and 3rd 21 times last year and only 3rbi. 4 strikeouts and 2 GIDP. .348 OPS (2 hits, 1 was a double) but that doesn't account for game 7.

The Beard likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Bregman is that much better when they walk a guy to get to him

Stephen66 and The Beard like this.
  7. Amadeus Rooster

The offense can improve indeed. And what that means to me is that our run differential where we get our opponents to stick in position players end of games will get us 20+ runs many multiple games and our runs column will be like arcade games!

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No more than they walked him last season with the same players behind him...not that often. Hell he didn't even get walked all that much with Abreu behind him being completely non productive.

Tucker is a great hitter and Bregs is awesome with men on base.

Stephen66, The Beard and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I do not know where you got the information that Baez has a weak arm from, but every single evaluator service I have access to has rated his arm as a 60 except fangraphs which gave him a 55. That means they think his arm is significantly better than Meyers or McCormick, and at least on par if not better than Tucker.

10. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

No, my point is that the Astros despite what Brown is saying don't value Meyers at all, and league values him even less. If they had an adequate replacement that they thought was ready, Meyers would likely be DFA'd. should have kept Siri, I'd give the job to Leon, who is much more toolsy than Meyers.

#4030 utgrad97, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

You do realize that Hicks costs less than Meyers.

12. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

My ideal

Bregman
    Altuve
    Yordan
    Tucker
    Abreu
    Diaz
    Chazz
    Pena
    Meyers...a bag of potatoe chils

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I am optimistic, but none of us have a crystal ball. There is absolutely no guarantee that it's a forgone conclusion Houston is a top 5. We were 5th last year with Philly right behind at ranked 6th. Me stating that I believe they will be a top 5 offensive team for 2024 isn't a slight. As you stated, Abreu was sucking, Julks saw time, and Maldonado took plate appearances. We can play the what if's all day. I expect them to be a better team. All I was pointing out were concerns that I had. It's no different then when 95% of posters on here believe Houston wouldn't see a drop in pitching in 2023 despite losing JV. Things happen and especially when it comes to baseball.

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're talking about the wrong poster if you're referring to me. I know how good this team is and how lucky we've been for almost a decade. Most MLB fans bases will never experience what we've had so far.

The Beard and Madmanmetz like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Less than $600k pre arb or whatever it is nowadays? That’s seems… implausible? The point is he’s fine as a place holder or a platoon partner and I don’t WS t someone 5% worse or 3% better. I want a real upgrade or why bother.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

$740K is min which is what the Angels are paying Hicks. Meyers probably makes a few K more but likely less than $775. I haven't seen the official amount the Astros assigned him.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Well I guess I’ll just throw a wrench into all of this by saying there is a good chance I would prefer Caratini.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's currently our starting center fielder and the team has made minimal effort to displace him from that spot despite not even being an MLB quality player according to you. That's a weird way to view the team as "not valuing him at all"

The Astros prioritized backup catcher and reliever to addressing this supposed titanic hole in the everyday outfield. Moving Chaz over and finding a leftfielder who can be a league average hitter is extremely easy if they thought he was bad.

If the Astros released Meyers to the open market he would make a few million because there would be a line of teams looking to add him as a 4th OFer, some would even want him to start.

#4038 sealclubber1016, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    Stephen66 likes this.
  19. raining threes

I dont see this, except in Bregs almost MVP year.

20. raining threes

It didn't look that strong on the vids I saw of him. I stand corrected. Maybe he just throws a little funky.