1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Cam Whitmore's comp?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jan 30, 2024.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Stone went from this

To this

Sonicbun8 and Salvy like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Hear me out...

He's bigger Eric Gordon. Pretty form on his 3 point shot. Straight line drive and uses broad shoulders to move the defenders. Young EG used to tomahawk dunks too.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The times I've seen him do it is when the defense isn't set because someone like Green, Sengun or FVV collapsed the defense.

4. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Guy has a Kawhi Leonard type build, no? Def see the Corey Magetti comp tho..

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A bigger Eric Gordon who is having fun is probably the best comp.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A bigger EG would be AMAZING.

7. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Vince, Stackhouse, T Mac...

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Stackhouse, Gordon, and Sprewell are good comps.

Landsdale likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is who I thought of. Cam reminds me of Spree so much.

Landsdale likes this.
  10. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Vince, Gordon and Stackhouse are the best comps so far.

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

The Stackhouse comp is quite good. Cam doesn’t quite have his wingspan. But Cam is a compact, physical Stackhouse.

Landsdale likes this.
  12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not because of play style but due to the speed at which he scores, I’ll compare him to Vinnie Johnson.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Only problem with the "bigger X" is it changes so many different things about his game--more rebounds and more blocks is obvious, but you'd think his FG% in the paint would also be higher, which in turn increases his overall scoring output. The higher production should, you would think, lead to more minutes and probably a starting role throughout his prime instead of being a 6th man during some of it.

What stat line does a bigger Eric Gordon actually produce in his prime? From age 22-29, Gordon was good for 16.9 points, 2.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 0.9 steals, 0.3 blocks, and 2.1 turnovers. His shooting percentages were 42.4% and 37.5% respectively.

14. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

This, I think he’s DWade but with a better shooting stroke and worse court vision/passing.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Anthony Edwards comp is a mix of Kobe and T-Mac.

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I think it’s a mix of Wade and D-Rose.

17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

A shorter Wilt Chamberlain. Just kidding….he compares himself to Russell Westbrook and that’s not too far off minus the passing and three point shooting.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Usually a "bigger X" means that this guy has similar style and skillset of X, and is theoretically a better version of X because of size advantage. Kind of like saying that Jabari Smith is a taller Klay Thompson.

Eric Gordon was projected to be an elite scorer in his rookie season. He was a starter as a 20-year old rookie and scored 16 ppg on 46/39/85 shooting with a whopping .593 TS%. He was a 22-pt scorer in his 3rd season. Injuries dampened his career and he had to settled into a 6th man role.

If Cam turns into a healthy EG in a bigger body, he can be one of the best scorers in the league.

19. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

A stocky wing with good scoring instincts, lacking vision, decent to good shooting, and thus far a question mark on defense (guy's a teenager still).

Jaylen Brown is the easiest high-end comp for Cam, but Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo come to mind for far less efficient, low end outcomes.

Not a ton of dudes who really can't pass the ball turn into stars in this league (and even advanced stats hate Jaylen), but at 20th overall, I loved the pick then and I love it now, and Udoka is acutely aware of Cam's strengths and weaknesses, and maximizes his skillset very well.

BaselineFade and jcmoon like this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The dudes only 19 I dont think its fair to say "he cant pass" as if he never will learn to pass.