1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Cam Whitmore's comp?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jan 30, 2024.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

A buddy and I were having this debate and legitimately can not land on anyone that really fits for a Cam comp.

Who do you say is his comp?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jaylen Brown is what I think of as what Cam's ceiling can be.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is bigger than Jason Richardson, he will be his own man.

Amel likes this.
  5. plegus

plegus Member

Comp for sure. Ceiling? Hell no.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Baines. Baines again.

MJ/Joe Johnson hybrid

He'll put up 29 - 32/ gm one day.

#6 Plowman, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  7. fchowd0311

What's his ceiling? Jaylen Brown has a self creation bag for half court set defenses with Cam's body type and athleticism. That's what I see Cam as if he develops an effective offense against set defenses. Right now almost all his buckets are in transition or set catch and shoot attempts or drives to the rim after the defense is already collapsed.

raining threes likes this.
  8. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Don’t want to get flamed but I have said he plays very similar to D Wade since college. Hes got crazy athleticism combined with strength/mass of a much bigger player but still has great technique…..

9. fchowd0311

So you think Cam can run pg now? Bad comparison.

10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Jaylen Brown and Anthony Edwards comparisons seem off to me. Those guys have more dexterity and fluidity in their hands, wrists, arms and upper body than Cam appears to have.

Cam is a very interesting type of player in that he is very explosive and has a pure shot, but he nevertheless has some athletic functional limitations. Strange comparison for a guy like Cam, but I see some Klay Thompson in his game. A bit more plus athletically (strength and explosion) and a bit minus shooting.

solid likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

As many of you know, I was extremely high on Smith out of Auburn, elated when the Rockets drafted him. I feel the same about Whitmore who may even be more talented overall. There are several differences, but the main one is an NBA body. Whitmore is a bull. If you grab onto him as he is going to the basket you are getting a ride to the rim. He goes into beast mode. On the other hand, he has a sweet touch on the three pointer. All he needs is refinement which takes time. Sky is the limit.

12. fchowd0311

The gap in athleticism is significant between Cam and Klay lol. If Cam can be half the shooter that Klay is he's going to be a star.

I think Brown is a good comp. Brown at Cam's age didn't have much of a bag or handle either and it developed over time. Ant is a pipe dream. Ant has Cam's strength AND Green's quickness and dexterity.

Prince_Hakeem likes this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Corey Maggette with a 3 point shot

14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

A more explosive Mitch Richmond.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Interesting points. Few players are the "total" package like MJ or Kobe, but Cam is a high level talent who can get better.

raining threes and Plowman like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No he doesn’t lol. I lived in Milwaukee when DWade played at Marquette and saw him play multiple times and he plays nothin like DWade. Cam is raw athleticism. DWade was raw skilled athleticism. He doesn’t have nowhere near the handles that Wade had or the lateral movement and speed

Bo6 likes this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yep I called him Cam Maggette especially when he becomes that one man fast break that Maggette was when he got downhill

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Cam absolutely has ball handling ability. Again its just not his job to handle the ball. He could get to the basket anytime he wants. And his speed and athleticism is also elite especially for his size. you can see that easily on fast breaks when he decides he wants to shift it into another gear.

dont diminish attributes just because Cam is adjusting to how coach wants him to play. It's only a matter of time til his leash gets removed. That's the scary part of what he's doing at 19

cml750, Boii, red5rocket and 7 others like this.
  19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

A baby by Jason Richardson and Gerald Green, he's also the younger brother of Josh Christopher

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

No perfect comp, but I see parts of Jae Crowder (strength, outside shooting), Zion Williamson (outside shooting + strong to the basket), and even a young Charles Barkley (similar size + explosiveness). Obviously none of these are direct matches and don't touch directly on Cam's ball handling skills.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Cam is very young, and will likely get bulkier with age.