1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2023-24 Play-In Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha I think it is better described as 'Promotion games'.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It was a fun thought earlier in the Winter, but unless something dramatic happens I don't any of the teams above us falling off a cliff. It's also likely the Warriors turn it on at some point too. Unless Jalen Green goes on one of those like 10 game James Harden 2018 runs where he blows up to be a true superstar player then I don't see it. The Rockets just don't have that offensive talent to really go on a big run the rest of the season. They can win half of their games by Sengun doing what he does, and the defense turning back up to where it was in December. Even then winning half our games, I just don't see it this year.

Next year they better make the play in or I would suspect Stone will be out. He might already be out this Summer anyways, but I think he's earned at least 1 more year to play it out.

YOLO likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Time to see if Adam Silver Stands With Sengun™ instead of LeBoring

#4 Os Trigonum, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The way Stone behaves is either like someone who has his job secured for years or he is just counting his days......

I have no explanation for what is going on......the Owner seems to be overly ambitious but the Yes man is really passive during the seasons.....

Still shell shocked by his prodigal son KPJ?

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. There are a million things that can happen. We can get hot. AD or Bron could get injured. Zion or Luka could get injured. The Jazz are already coming back down to Earth. The Warriors look like a mess. The play-in is wide open.

7. a time to chill

I wouldn't say he's earned it yet at this point. I'm waiting to see what the final win-loss record will be. I'm evaluating him on whether he can keep the roster competitive enough to win at least 40 games. If we win at least that amount but fail to make the play-in I'd still consider it a successful season. What he does at the trade deadline is going to reveal how good he really is as a GM.

8. jogo

jogo Member

Looking at point differentials, it looks like a five team race for spots 8, 9, and 10.

Memphis is out due to injuries. That leaves Dal, Lal, Uta, Hou, and GSW.

Uta is surging. I haven't followed them so I don't know why but they are doing well. Dal is kind of the opposite. As someone said, I expect GSW to push for a spot (or I can see them tank and get a lottery pick as that is our luck). Lal could see injuries but I also think Lebron knows his time is closing and he will push for a spot.

I think the Mavs will figure our their problems and so will the Lakers. If so, that leaves us fighting with Uta and Gsw for the last spot. Uta has the 4th hardest remaining SOS per tankathon. That helps. We are 18th and Gsw is 22nd.

A lot of things have to hit right for us to get the last spot. First, we have to play better and win more. We're on pace for 38-44. That won't do it. We need to win 40-42 games to have a shot. Second, no more big injuries. No jinx. Third, both Uta and Gsw have to regress. It's going to be a battle to get the last playin spot.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah this is pretty accurate. There's pretty much one spot for 10th as far as play in that's up for grabs. Nop, Dallas, and lakers are basically locks to be above 10th. They're not going to fall out of that.

Between GS, Hou, Utah, they'll be the ones vying for that last 10th spot.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Unless there is a good trade.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think the Rockets could make the play-in, but I don't think they'll do what's necessary to make the play-in. I really don't think that is a goal of theirs this year despite what they've fed us.

topfive likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Making the play-in is definitely a goal of theirs... for NEXT season. This was the season to get the new coaching staff established, reset the culture, and see which of the youngsters is going to begin to tap their potential.

The reason Stone doesn't seem concerned about his job is because he isn't. Despite Tilman being a competitive owner, they developed their 3-phase plan together and everyone knew it would take 5 years to be truly competitive. This is year 4. If the team fails to make the playoffs, no one gets fired. The only people who don't seem to understand this scenario are located right here on CF.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They did lay out a plan and have sticked to it. I don’t remember not making the play-in this year as part of it. The “plan” as I recall was to tank for three years and retain cap flexibility until the right players became available. The cap and picks from the Nets were to be used to build a competitive team. I don’t recall a set in stone timeframe past the 3 years.

14. dobro1229

Note how I said "Unless something drastic happens."

Lebron getting injured and the Lakers missing the play-in... would classify as pretty freaking NBA drastic.

Wide open certainly not how I would classify it... possible... absolutely. But IMO I haven't seen anything to suggest that we can be much better than a .500 team with basically a single all-star caliber player, and our defensive abilities WHEN HEALTHY. The piece of the equation that would add a new dimension to the calculus would be a perimeter scorer exploding on the scene.

If that's going to be anyone it's going to be Jalen Green (Cam... probably too early for him), and so far this season I've seen no indication that he can sustain a 10 game streak of scoring 30+ and really opening up our offense to compete at the next level. Sengun cannot do it all himself. He needs an all star caliber perimeter scorer and right now we just don't have that.

15. dobro1229

I think it will reveal how safe his job is or is not. If he does something like Jalen, filler, and all the BKN picks for Bridges then IMO he's desperate, and has a mandate to make the play in this year. If he's trading the Brooklyn picks I think it's more tense in that front office than we think.

I personally do not care for Stone, and his approach one bit. However I don't think with the moves that have been made that they are firable offenses.... BUT they are mediocre enough to where I'd certainly either fire him or push him aside if a Danny Ainge level GM became available, or at the very least I'd bring in a President of Operations that is a senior respected guy around the league who would step in to be Stone's boss. Like Jeff Van Gundy or a Rudy T type etc. Someone with that gravitas who puts the guy in check, and questions things a bit better than Tillman and Patrick do.

a time to chill likes this.
  16. dobro1229

I guess it depends on what your definition is of a good trade.

I have a different take on this team than some probably do. I do think there would be significant value in a play in, and definitely a play off experience for the youngsters on this team. However, other than Sengun, and maybe Jabari & Tari to a lesser extent, I'm just not sold on the young talent we have really panning out to be the core of this team moving forward. I still think this team needs to be adding more talent via the draft while yes... trying to improve on the court, and winning more and more every year.

So with my perspective, I'd say it's a good trade to maybe do something like take a small step back to take a bigger step forward. Obviously there is Tate who is expendable, but I'd even be open to offers for guys who we all think are crucial staples in the rotation but veterans. If someone is offering a late first for Jeff Green so they can shore up their playoff run this season... I'd have to listen. Someone would have to really blow me away for Dylan Brooks too but the Rockets are not in the position to hang up the phone IMO.

(Ime might kill Stone if he traded Dylan, but still... you have to consider it if there's real value being offered to significantly upgrade the talent long term)

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The trade deadline is really tough for the Rockets who would not part with their young core....

Fans want to trade only Landale, Tate..............those are just appetizers (not even the best ones) not a main course.....

Just stick with it then, I am not seeing much on the horizon.....maybe another Theis gem move by Stone.....;)

The 'major targets' are still Dejounte, Lavine, Kuzma, Tyus Jones if he shakes loose, shooters like Trent Jr, Bogdanovic, Huerter, Harrison Barnes etc.

#17 daywalker02, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think our real core is Amen, Sengun, and Jabari. The injuries to Jabari, Brooks, an Tari derailed our chances at the play-in. Our concentration should be in developing our youth, but not tanking.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What is it you think is necessary to earn that 10 spot ..... I think all they need to do is get health and stay that way and they'll finish above Utah & GSW for that final play in spot.

20. a time to chill

I think it's good if there's a healthy amount of tension between ownership and the front office at this point. We cannot afford to continue to wait for the young core to develop and accumulate young talent in the draft. Fertitta said it's time to start winning. A jump to 40 wins from 22 is a huge step in the right direction regardless of whether we make the play-in.

At this point, Fertitta should have clear targets for Stone to meet this year and let him know his job is in jeopardy if the team fails to meet those goals. Stone should be having honest conversations with Udoka regarding the team's strengths/weaknesses, and looking to make improvements where necessary to keep things on track in Phase 2 of the Rockets rebuild. The worst thing for Stone to do is nothing, hoping that Jalen Green or other pieces of the young core emerge as superstar talent to get things back on track.

dobro1229 likes this.