1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 7: Two Green Paths

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Where is Jalen headed?

1. More bought in, he will take a step this season

53.9%
  2. He is what he is, I do not expect him to improve in the second half

46.1%
  1. jogo

jogo Member

The shot selection is a valid point. I watched a game once this year and followed Jalen's shots closely. He was all over the place - step backs 3's, shoulders not squared up, driving into the paint with no regard. It felt like he was trying to play at the schoolyard and not in the NBA. If I went out to play basketball with my friends I might put up those shots. If I was in the NBA I'd say, "You can't shoot stupid ish like that in this league. Those shots won't fall. Stop taking them."

He did this last game with a Harden type step back 3. Sorry, Jalen, you don't have that in your bag now. If someone knows how to look up individual 3 pointers I'd be interested to see his % on catch a shoot, step back, off a pick, etc.

Jalen seems to be doing a bit better with his drives (a bit). He used to try to dunk everything but is now getting better at sliding around defenders and laying it up. He still gets blocked a bit and the turnovers drive me mad. But I think he's improving, slowly.

And I think shot selection is a coaching issue at this point. Jalen is young and needs to be coached to stop taking trash shots. It feels like he thinks he's in a zone and he can just glide in and shoot whatever. That might fly in the g league but it doesn't work in THE league.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

His shot selection, defense, and overall inefficiency will take him out of the starting lineup if they don't get better like RIGHT NOW. Cam is knocking on the door. He's not very far behind Jalen at this point and the playoff picture isn't looking so great at the moment. Something needs to change.

Jalen might be better coming off of the bench until his overall game becomes more consistent and predictable. Right now you don't know what you're going to get from him, and it's really hard to build a winning team around that. My guess is that his role will decrease as the season progresses from this point forward because I'm not sure that he can help where he is as a player right now. What he needs to work on is going to take some time to fix. He could be really good coming off of the bench as a scorer though on the nights when his game is on.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Never a doubt!

Amiga and Bo6 like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

lol. Some people will never learn

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

apollo33 and Bo6 like this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Never a doubt!

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s in his best stretch of the season. Certainly more comfortable and the energy is showing up in the rebounding. He’s currently playing well which is an upgrade from terrible. We’ll see how long he can sustain it.

Mathloom, Bo6, mac_got_this and 2 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, All Star Break is coming, Jabari had the Post ASB breakout last year.

Not bad indeed.....

9. dmoneybangbang

I still don't see the need to make a decision this year because I don't see a good deal out there unless we are tying a bunch of Nets picks to Green.

cbass likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I feel like the author mailed it in for this sequel. Plot really lacked any substance.

3/10

robbie380 likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I have to wonder if Cam breaking out is lighting a fire under Jalen.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

In his first two seasons, Jalen was substantially better in the second half.

Why? WhoTF knows? He is what he is.

I just hope his second half this time around is strong enough to give a glimmer of hope, if not that he's worth keeping on the roster, then at least that we can trade him for something of value.

I do know he has games where he disappears completely, but also ones where he takes over as much as anyone on our current roster is capable of taking over a game.

harold bingo likes this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This.

i’m glad if that motivates him, and to me, he is getting better BUT Cam is better.

Mathloom and daywalker02 like this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Definitely plausible. Green has thrived in games where he’s had a chip on his shoulder in the past. Having that competition on the bench could be a huge win. He’s also more aggressive in attacking the boards. His focus should be on making the correct reads on defense and attacking fast on offense. I’m sure this has been drilled into him but he may finally be understanding it. It’s hard to get a read on his basketball IQ, I tend to lean toward confidence as the driver of what looks to be bad decisions.

Bo6 and plegus like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tale of 2 Greens.

16. kpdark

kpdark Member

might be because Jalen finally found his perfect running mate in Cam

Mathloom and htownfan_9210 like this.
  17. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I think it's this. Like a tag team. They see they can both co-exist within the offense now. The pressure is off and can play more free.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I doubt Cam can take over secondary primary ball handler duties behind FVV which Green is for the team. He'd average more turnovers than assists. Green for the **** he gets as a poor ball handler, it's usually in reference to him being a primary ball handler not as a sg. He's above average for a sg in terms of ball handling. Cam is not attacking set defenses off the dribble. He always passes off in those situations.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cam immediately has made defenses respect his three. Green thrives in a five out spaced offense due to his blow by ability. A line up with both Bari and Cam spaces the floor really well.

BigMaloe, plegus and Mathloom like this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

What's annoying about giving up on Green earlier on the season was that he did show signs of improvement. The improved defense, rebounding, and decision making was there. He just was throwing up brick after brick. Now that the shots are going in, it's more visible.

I'll always root for Jalen and outside a few commercials, there hasn't been anything to suggest he hasn't been in the lab working on his craft. There was a reason Ime has yet to bench him even during the toughest stretch of his career so far.

He's up to 18.2 PPG and 4.8 RPG per game on the least amount of minutes of any season. Still shooting 32% from 3 which is god awful but hopefully the coaching staff can reign in his technique (jumping way too high from set shots) and I could see that number pushed to 35% by the season end.

A reminder to everyone that development is rarely linear. Young players will have troughs and valleys but we as fans deserve to stick behind any player that wears a Rockets jersey and give them support. That is the most important thing from a fan after all.

Invisible Fan, xaos, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.