1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

It's starting to look like other teams also don't think he is a top 5 OC as well. Good, but not great OC this last year. Here's to hoping he improves his coaching this next year and gets the run game going while putting the ball more in CJ's hands.

3. Champs

Champs Member

If I am Slowik, at this point I pull my name from consideration, get back to work, take this offense to the next level, and become the prime candidate next year.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Did slowik interview for seahawks job? Seems weird he's 3rd in odds

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Agreed. I think he's probably gained whatever valuable experience can come from interviewing in this cycle, so it's time to close up shop. With the right draft and FA period, this offense (and overall team) has an opportunity to elevate themselves to the next tier of AFC contenders. Time for DeMeco, Nick, and Bobby to get their minds right.

And for Bobby in particular, he really needs to focus on improving his ability to structure a running attack within his offense, and work on the timing of his play calls. There were too many wasted drives this season where it just felt like malaise had taken over for no particular reason, and I would say 90% of that mid-game malaise came from poorly planned and executed running plays.

Champs and Qan like this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yes, he had a virtual interview with them last week.

8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We were very predictable when we would run - it would either be Motor alone or Beck and Motor ….9/10 if Beck and Motor we would run it … we didn’t use Motor much in passing game so that didn’t trick teams

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a guy that accomplished what he did this year, I have serious doubts about his ability to rise up to the level of play calling needed when everything's on the line in the playoffs. And, this team's gonna be a contender for awhile.. It was obvious his balls shriveled up against Baltimore. When he should be throwing on first,he's running of tackle. 4th and a long 1 , and he's running up the gut.

clos4life likes this.
  11. Champs

Champs Member

Have you looked to see how many times we ran vs the pass on 1st down vs Baltimore?

cbass and raining threes like this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever it was, it seemed they were hellbent on establishing the run in lieu of an in the flow...keep em off balance attack. Philisophical momentum killers, to my way of thinking... making us more vulnerable to that ferocious D...playing into their hands. Admittedly, the Ravens D was a high mountain to climb. There just wasn't much margin for error. The goal line call was...regrettable.

We had a great season, and look to be contenders for the next decade. I'm relieved and proud that the powers that be finally got it together. I'm confident if this is an issue, that it'll be addressed.

#632 Plowman, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
    clos4life likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

KC and Andy Reid are putting on a clinic in terms of playcalling. Instead of forcing the run, they are throwing short passes or screens on 1st down to make it 2nd and manageable.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They have ran 21 times vs 29 passes.

No Worries, raining threes and Sooty like this.
  15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Commanders are a joke if they hire Dan Quinn.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It’s the Seahawks that have Quinn on their short list. The Commanders are 99% in on Lions OC Ben Johnson.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Ben Johnson's play-calling is looking pretty damn impressive so far today.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Ben Johnson has 2 1000 yrd RB and Penei Sewell anchoring a damn good Oline. But yes he is calling a good game.

raining threes likes this.
  19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Either way, who ever hires him they're idiots.

20. Qan

Qan Member

Commanders 100% now going to focus on hiring Ben Johnson...it's a forgone conclusion. Seahawks going for Dan Quinn for some reason since theyll miss out on Johnson, but okay whatever.

Sooty likes this.