1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt, Clemens and 3 days of rain

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Aug 30, 2004.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

we need someone else to step up down the stretch...these guys are getting it done...but if we are going to make this run ...and pass 3 or 4 teams....we need some W's from Carlos, Pete and whomever else takes the hill

what is Miller's prognosis?

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more ... We have a stretch where we play 11 games in 10 days so our pitchers are going to be pitching on short rest for a little while. After that stretch, I think we should go with a 4-man rotation if we are still in the hunt for the last 2 weeks of the season picking the best 2 out of Hernandez, Munro, and Backe.

Luckily the Giants and Padres will play each other enough to beat each other up, but the Cubs schedule is extremely weak. It's going to take an almost miraculous effort by the Good Guys, but I think its possible.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It makes you wonder what could have been had David Weathers not pissed away those 1/2 dozen games last month. I still don't think we have much of a chance. We have to pass up the Cubs, Padres, Giants, AND the Marlins. Perhaps if Pettite and Miller were healthy, but it's going to be tough with Backe and Munro taking the hill every 2 out of 5. If they stay in this thing, I'de go to a 4 man rotation.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How about we give some credit to the guys? We've won 12 of 15, I believe. Roy and Clemens didn't win them all.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Carlos pitched rather well yesterday. I have no problem with him.

Wade Miller threw off of the mound 4 consecutive days, taking yesterday off. He was scheduled to go at it again today. There is still a slim hope that he'll be back by the end of the season but it is still unlikely. Keep in mind that rehab starts can't happen after this week. The minor league season ends on Sunday. He would have to pitch simulated games to get back in shape.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's my thought. sometimes you get quality starts out of guys you wouldn't expect. that's what's happening now. perhaps munro has finally found himself...wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Munro has enjoyed some success in the past with Houston. In 2002 (prior to his last 2 starts) he was 5-4 with a 2.81 ERA. He ended up at 5-5 with a 3.57 ERA that year.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're right, he has. he just has been entirely consistent. maybe that's changing?? one can hope.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, those three days of rain have culminated into this:

10-3 W- Hernandez
    11-3 W- Munro
    8-0 W- Backe

All victories... all good starting pitching... all GREAT offense.

(ironically, over the last 5 games... Oswalt and Clemens had the worst stats in their starts... of course, they both still won).

#9 Nick, Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  10. NJRocket

Cmon guys!!! We need more rain in the forecast ath the rate those 3 are going!

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

this is a sidetrack of sorts, but I wanted to say that Oswalt has impressed me alot by being the first 16 game winner in the NL,....after his slow start, I thought this wouldn't happen, no way,...but it's a indication of his pitching ability...The playoffs, once a joke, seems to be for the taking! :)

12. NJRocket

if he wins 20...and we somehow make the playoffs...u think he has a shot at cy young?

13. bobrek

Nope.

If the Astros make the playoffs, it will most likely be due to Clemens pitching well as well. Clemens would currently be ahead of Oswalt in the Cy Young award voting.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think he does, even though our house Astros expert (no disrespect) doesn't...To me, a shot means being considered a top 5 to contend for it...

Still, I want Clemens to get it...

15. bobrek

If he'd have asked 'top 5' I would agree, but I don't think he can/will win even if he finishes 21-10 (assuming his ERA hovers around 3.2). :)

If Clemens posts a similar W-L the rest of the year, he can be expected to finish around 19-5 with a similar ERA and the fact he could win the award at 40+ years of age.

Roy would also have to compete with Schmidt, Wright, Pavano, Carpenter and Marquis (pitchers with comparable stats and also on potential playoff teams).

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think Pavano is the odds on favorite right now... especially with the way Schmidt has struggled recently.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Standing O for the entire team. No need to bring up anything negative at this point. I am just enjoying the ride.

18. MONON

MONON Member

You knowwhat I've been most impressed with during this streak? It's been the bullpen. I don't think they've allowed a run to score except for Springer's hit tonight. Biggio played that as well as he could. If it hadn't taken that wierd bounce off the wall, only 1 run would of scored.